Unable to read J-Spec ECU

Started by Rogue, June 30, 2003, 14:29

Rogue

Hi All,

I know I've posted on this subject before, but I'm running out of time to get a resolution...

I need to find a company that is able to read my ECU through the OBD-II connector to find out why the CEL keeps coming on. Toyota can't help...

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

GSB

Rogue,

Have you tried Torque developments, in Barking (Essex / East London)?
They seem to do a ot of work on J-spec stuff, and even sell things like speed delimiters for the MR-S, so they might be able to help?

The workshop / service number is 0870 745 8751
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Where have you tried so far, and have you tried any other reader other than at a Mr T garage?
I've got a j-spec, and the pin 5 that we're misssing is the ecu ground. When i wired in my ECU controller the brown wire is the wire spliced into for ground.
I've not got a OBD reader or i'd try running a cable to that pin to try it while my luggage bin is still out. Sorry, not really helped have i   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Rogue

TDI seem pretty confident nthat they can read it, but they want £76/hour and I'd have to travel down to London from Coventry. This fault only occurred after the vehicle had been stolen so I want to be damn sure that the insurance company are going to foot the bill before I book it in.

Steve Jeffries and I had worked out that the missing pin was in fact the signal ground. Do you think that buy adding a ground to this connection it would allow it to be read by Toyota equipment?

Cheers,

mph

FWIW, SteveJ is now in possession of the PocketLogger and will attempt to make arrangements with you so that you can get it this work.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

QuoteDo you think that buy adding a ground to this connection it would allow it to be read by Toyota equipment?

Yes,but not just a chassis ground. The ECU wiring is the same on the UK, USA, and JSpec and the wiring of the OBD is the same. For some reason the ground is missing on ours!
Hopefully Martin and Steve will help with his logger. I will test this theory next month and post findings for future reference.

Rogue

Quote from: "mph"FWIW, SteveJ is now in possession of the PocketLogger and will attempt to make arrangements with you so that you can get it this work.

Yay! So I need to take the signal ground from the ECU (brown cable?) and route it to the missing pin on the OBD-II connector?

Sounds like a plan. You guys are great.  s:) :) s:)

GSB

Rogue,

While this may or may not help, someone on Spyderchat is having a similar problem...http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3949&highlight=

They have been directed to a site that descibes three different protocols for ODB-II and they have free software and instructions/schematics for you to build your own interace and use your laptop/pc to read your cars codes. The site is here...http://www.scantool.net/index.htm

If you can do this sort of thing then it will be an interesting project, and if it works it has the potential to save you a fair amount of money too.

Just a thought...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

GSB

Edited by GSB for being an utter load of cobblers...

Tags: