Which Oil filter?? Does it matter?

Started by nathanMR2, August 5, 2010, 22:19

nathanMR2

Looking to do an oil change soon. Is it worth spending the extra few quid and getting a K&N oil filter.

There seems to be a few different people making them. Or should i just go for a Toyota one?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

frogger

The general concensus in the past has been that Toyota make damn good filters for the money - certainly much better than any other pattern part, Unipart, Fram, etc... BUT the k&n gold series filters are probably just as good. So not much in it in terms of pure filtration.

For me though, the k&n gold series have one winning feature - the 1" diameter bolt tacked on the end!
Saves so much screwing around when both torquing up and removing. Love it   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

For this reason I always tend to go for the k&n gold series on cars from other jap manufacturers. But to date I've still always bought Mr T ones for Toyota's (because of the rumoured high quality, and undeniable low cost).

StuM

Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

frogger

Great stuff. So essentially, go for Toyota, Bosch, or STP for a good quality filter. And if you want a nut on top go for k&n or TRD, but you have to pay a bit extra for the nut on a filter with pretty much the same filtration.

The summary at the bottom of the above link says it all.

nathanMR2

Cheers guys. Think ill go OEM
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Tags: