Timing belt change

Started by Lady UK, March 15, 2004, 11:40

Lady UK

Hi,

Can anyone let me know when the timing belt should get it's first change.

I have a roadster on the year 2000 - mileage so far is just under average but would like advice please?

Just an enquiry............What's the best way to clean the rear back boot (where the grids are).  Mine is filling up with muck and debris but getting in and around the grids is grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Thanks everyone  s:) :) s:)

markiii

with regard to teh timing belt, it's actually a chain. Regarding when it should be changed I don't beleive it needs to as it's a chain. I will check.

ref the rear boot/deck the easiest is to remove the drip tray.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

i'm pretty sure it tells you in the back of your service book under additional services.

i think its around the 60,000 mile mark but i could be wrong.

GSB

Sounds about right, but I think it may be even longer than that, I seem to remeber reading reading it and thinking... "Not my problem, I'll have sold it on by then..."
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Lady UK"Can anyone let me know when the timing belt should get it's first change.

When it starts to make noise  s8) 8) s8)

It's a chain and it won't snap without any warning, like the normal belts do. I wouldn't be surprised if it was good for +200t miles, like the older chains were.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I got a letter from Toyota in Henley last week saying my car was due a 60k service and this included the timing chain (I think they actually referred to it as a belt!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

I'll double check when I get closer to the time (58k now) with a coupel of garages to see what they say.

dave.

Anonymous

mine has just hit 43.000 and im having it changed on thursday for excessive ticking.

markiii

Quote from: "jonboy"mine has just hit 43.000 and I'm having it changed on thursday for excessive ticking.

timing chain or belt tensioner?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

i think its just the chain.nothing has been mentioned about the tensioner

darrenjuggins

Hi Guys / Girls,

The CHAIN remains on the engine for life (100 +) all it states in the service interval is that it should be checked on a regular basis from 60k onwards, I presume as a precaution.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

heathstimpson

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Hi Guys / Girls,

The CHAIN remains on the engine for life (100 +) all it states in the service interval is that it should be checked on a regular basis from 60k onwards, I presume as a precaution.

Cheers

Darren
Spot on Darren; I checked in my dad's belt replacement manual at his garage a few weeks ago and its says that the chain should last for the engine life.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

darrenjuggins

Wonder what they use on the V-Tec Engines at Honda ?

The chain is the old fashion way of doing things, but I have heard some horror stories about belts in the past, as long as they keep checking it and making sure it's ok, I'll be happy.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Tem

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"The chain is the old fashion way of doing things

Actually it used to be the old fashioned way. Nowadays belts are the old fashioned way  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

darrenjuggins

Its just like fashion, what goes around come around  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Darren A. Juggins

johnylee

There's a loud ticking coming from mine, if it's to do with the chain what needs doing to it?

Thanks

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "johnylee"There's a loud ticking coming from mine, if it's to do with the chain what needs doing to it?

Thanks

You need to identify whereabouts on the engine the ticking is coming from for one thing.
Normal chain life is in excess of 100K miles so don't panic yet ... unless you've reached something like 150k?
The cam chain tensioners can have problems much earlier than that though, and are relatively easy to change... is the ticking coming from your chain?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

johnylee

Off top of my head i think the mileage is 66000 give or take a couple (not used it for some time), thinking about it i remember it coming from the top of the engine but i may be wrong. Could it be the tappets?  s:? :? s:?  

Thanks

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "johnylee"Off top of my head i think the mileage is 66000 give or take a couple (not used it for some time), thinking about it i remember it coming from the top of the engine but i may be wrong. Could it be the tappets?  s:? :? s:?  

Thanks

Only if you've let the oil run too low!
The 1ZZ-FE engine is noisy especially when cold, being right behind your head you tend to notice noises more than a regular car.
Tell us a bit more,
When is it noisy?
What's your oil level like?
Does your oil level change?

66k is about when i replaced my tensioner, so it may be worth considering swapping it out.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

kleinbaas

I read somewhere that older versions (pre 2002) have belts and newer versions have chains? Is that right?
Is there any way to check if an MR2 has a belt or a chain before you buy?

mrzwei

All Roadsters have chains.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

JAMason

What is the service intervals on MR2 then?! I seem to remember (when I worked there) it was an 8000 mile service interval for the MR2. Or 12 months. What ever came first!

Chilli Girl

Chilli is post face lift on a late 52 plate but her schedule says every 10,000 miles or 12 months. She only does 6,000 a year but still get her serviced annually.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

frangipie

The timing chain should really last the lifetime of the engine (Huge bonus of the MR2 compared to cars with Belts!). My 2002 MR2 has just reached 130,000k miles and there are no issues whatsoever with the chain. I've have just replaced the the timing change tensioner as a matter of precaution as I managed to bag a new one at a bargain price from another ROC member. The timing chain tensioner is prone to leaking oil if the seal has gone so I'd keep an eye on that.
I will probably look at giving my chain a thorough inspection at around 150,000 miles.
Black 02 MR2 Roadster
[size=85]PFL,Hard top,Black Leather,AC,Devs Keyhole covers,The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings,Facelift Side Vents,K&N Filter[/size]

spit

Some generic service info here:  l viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20262 l  

I had severe chain stretch at 100k which resulted in erratic idling as the cams bounced in and out of sync. The last 35k of those miles were at a healthy tad above stock power/torque figures!
Nic's chain showed less stretch at 100k but the links carried a fair bit of lateral play. Also running a few mods and extra horses.

I'd suggest having a look or at least keeping an ear on it once you hit 6 figure mileage. There are some reference chain measurements and tolerances published. I can hunt them out if they're of any interest?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Alex Knight

Re:
Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Wonder what they use on the V-Tec Engines at Honda ?

All B-Series (B16A, B16B and B18C) use a belt.

All K-Series use a chain.

Tags: