Air intake idea

Started by ad_car_08, August 10, 2010, 16:24

ad_car_08

Hi,

It's been fairly quiet at work, so I've had plenty of time to daydream and think over a few ideas for my car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

At this stage I'm only "spit balling" (as those americans say!) and I accept I might be missing something glaringly obvious. Anyway, my idea...

The standard location for the air intake, seems to be fairly efficient in the way of pulling cool air, rather than relocating it which can sometimes mean the intake pulls in warmer/hotter air than it used to. What the standard location does lack, is a forced induction type feed of air..

I wondered.. if I could find a really free spinning fan in a frame, like a computer fan take my markiii air pipe, grab a dremel and cut a slot out of it, big enough to slot the fan into it... Now, my thought was that when the engine sucks air, it will pass over the blades of the fan causing it to spin, pulling more air, making the fan spin faster, which pulls even more air and providing an increased amount of air to the engine, sort of emulating forced induction?

Possible flaws could include;
- stiff fan restricting airflow more than aiding it
- careful choice of fan to make sure the angle of the blades don't restrict airflow & create the best effect of pushing the air towards the airbox
- obviously the slot that was cut to slot the fan into the pipe will need to be sealed so air doesn't escape.

Advice and opinions are most welcome. I'm curious as to whether this would work, theoretically?
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

markiii

assuming it did evetually either teh fan would explode or the engine would.

in reality unless your going to produce more than 1 bar your not going to fill teh cylinders with any more air than gravity already manages

and that fan isn;t going to produce more than 1 bar.

and in reality it won't work anyway as there is no such thing as free energy
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Not wishing to upset you here so bear with me.
What you are suggesting is perpetual motion  m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion m
You can't generate more air pressure from a fan by sucking through it ... unfortunately.
The only fans that can achieve this are jet engine turbines and the reason why they achive this is because they have a load of fuel duped into them and ignited, thus driving the fan blades.

Good try though, I've always wondered about model aeroplane ducted fans with brushless motors in them, but the energy you need to drive would probably overtake the benefites.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ad_car_08

No no, it's fine!

I knew there must've been a reason why it's not already been done!

Thanks for your replies   s:D :D s:D
[/size]

ad_car_08

I wonder what, in an ideal world, it would take to increase airflow?
Increased pipe diameter with fan? actually powering some form of air propulsion whether it be a fan, or more like this kind of arrangement??

You see these things spinning quite fast!
[/size]

Anonymous

Not going to look too good though, stuck on your car.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ad_car_08

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   too true!

I know it's probably not financially efficient/realistic to replicate...I just get intrigued by these things   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[/size]

Mad Matt

Well, if the fan isn't powered it will restrict air flow, compared to not having it. If it is powered, it will just take power off the engine, unless you can get the pressure above one bar (as said above). I believe a possible solution would be some kind of turbine driven off the exhaust...... hmmm.

I was also told by a mate that from an aero point of view, even an air scoop (or ram air) isn't going to get you much until you reach about 80mph and even then......

Anonymous

Save the time and get yourself a "Turbonator".  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUAL-TUR ... ccessories m

Gif

Tried adding snake oil to my petrol but even that only yielded a couple of BHP   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

nathanMR2

or even  m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-E ... ccessories m    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Tags: