If I can't fix this rattle........

Started by WillsSayers, August 11, 2010, 08:31

WillsSayers

....... Then I'm going to hoy my car in to the sea......! :@

It developed a rattle 2 - 3 weeks after I bought it, however it's intermittant. When I say this, I think the only time it stops rattling is when we get a fair amount of rain on the roads, and lubes up the contact patch........? However, the rattle seems to be coming from the front of the car and is external. I've had the front jacked up and looked under the immediate front (under the front splitter) but can't seem to find anything.

I THINK the sound is coming from the passenger's side, but it's hard to pinpoint it when in the car and moving. Even getting someone outside I can't pinpoint it.

It's also aggrevated by the road surface (ie, rattles more when on bumpy roads), so pretty sure it's just two things banging together that perhaps shouldn't be!

I think the sound is metallic as well, altho can't say for certain. But can't see plastic making a similar sound or as loud as it is.

So has anyone else had a similar rattle? I'm a seriously vain person, and love the fact the sports cat and Janspeed give this car a sound that makes people look......... But I hate it how the only reason people are looking at me lately due to wondering what on Earth that horrible sound is!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

nathanMR2

Have you checked your strut nuts? Mine made a horrid noice when they worked themselfs loose. I thought that was coming from the front of the car but it wasnt.

Just a thought. I was metalic sounding thou. It was more clunking or knocking
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

WillsSayers

It's not a clunk, more like the sound of two piece of metal vibrating against each other......?

D'ya mean front or rear struts? Can't imagine it being either, but I can see if I can tighten them up. Definitely can't see it being the fronts tho, as I've had the front strut brace on and off a few times since getting it, yet the rattle's always been there.

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

nathanMR2

It's the front centre strut bolts you want to check. When I had my new springs fitted they reused the old nuts and they just worked themselves loose.

If might not be that but worth checking they are torqued up correctly
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

normanh

Passenger seat belt buckle rattling? That irritates me some days if its not laying flat.

norman

filcee

Does it sound a bit like a slightly muffled can of paint being shaken?  It might be the 'rattly airbag thing' that afflicted early models.  I seem to recall there were instructions on Spyderchat a looong time ago about how and where to place pieces of foam packing to stop or at least reduce the number of rattles from the dash.  I don't know if they still exist - SC has had many availability issues over the years and they may have been lost.

Also, is there anything in your glovebox?  Could be spurious bits of tat rattling about if you're anything like me for just chucking odds'n'ends in there.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

roger

Quote from: "filcee"Does it sound a bit like a slightly muffled can of paint being shaken?  It might be the 'rattly airbag thing' that afflicted early models.  I seem to recall there were instructions on Spyderchat a looong time ago about how and where to place pieces of foam packing to stop or at least reduce the number of rattles from the dash.  I don't know if they still exist - SC has had many availability issues over the years and they may have been lost.

Also, is there anything in your glovebox?  Could be spurious bits of tat rattling about if you're anything like me for just chucking odds'n'ends in there.

I've got a hard copy of a few "rattle/squeak fixes" at home, not too sure now exactly what they are but fairly certain dash was involved. If you PM your email Will, I can scan them over to you tomorrow and you can check them out.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

WillsSayers

That sounds perfect to me Roge, I'll pop ya a PM  s:) :) s:)

Norm/Filcee, definitely sounds like the sound is external unfortunately. I've already had the glovebox and cubby hole emptied to no avail!

roger

Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

PeteT

Quote from: "roger"This is the Toyota "rattle/squeak" list courtesy of SC. http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?8197-How-to-fix-those-rattles!-(Diagrams)&highlight=NV011-00

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  Brilliant, This lists all the rattles i have  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Thats my jobs for saturday sorted now. Here comes rattle free driving
Pete

frogger

Quote from: "WillsSayers"I'm a seriously vain person, and love the fact the sports cat and Janspeed give this car a sound that makes people look......... But I hate it how the only reason people are looking at me lately due to wondering what on Earth that horrible sound is!

s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

WillsSayers

What's up Frogger? I'm an honest person  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Although granted saying I have a lot of self confidence normally comes accross a bit better  s;) ;) s;)

Cheers for the link Roge, I'll have a bit flick through now  s:) :) s:)

WillsSayers

Had another look around the car, the rear strut brace was loose to the point i could rattle it with my hands. Not the actual part that fits to the strut mounts, but the actual brace that attaches to the brace mounts (if that makes sense). I've yet to test to confirm, however. I'm still dubious it will be this, as I'd be damned surprised if the sound was coming from the rear all along!

mrzwei

You're probably right, but it's surprising how difficult noise source can be to pinpoint. Had a loud rumble coming from the offside front of my Saab; wheel bearing for certain. Got an mot advisory for an out of shape REAR offside; 'are you getting any road noise?' Was the question. Couldn't take the chance as was driving to Europe a couple of days later. The tyre guy took the wheel off and there was full tread on one side and bald patches appearing on the other. Changed the tyre and my wheel bearing noise from the front was gone.  (Some sort of suspension problem lurks though methinks).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

WillsSayers

Well I found out what it is....... Jacked it up as high as I could and squeezed underneath to have a quick butchers about....... It would seem that there's a brace running across the width of the car that has suffered a bolt that has either worked itself un-done or sheered itself off........!

It's a 17mm bolt, but would anyone know what size the thread should be? Going to try and pick one up today as A) the sound really gets on my tits, and B) it can't be good for the car having a brace half hanging off!

markiii

thats a stock04 brace, teh threads are odd on those and they are a off with a non thread wedge part at the end to aid starting.

might be worth going to Toyota to ensure you get teh right one as they are very easy to cross thread at teh best of times
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

You need to get your tracking/alignment checked too looking at that tyre   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

WillsSayers

Hmmm that's not what I wanted to hear, as I imagine they'll have to order the piece in....... : May have a drive down to Toyota at lunch and see what they say! Altho I have nothing but contempt for this particular Toyota.........!

Tags: