Keeping your old exhaust - for sentimental reasons?!

Started by Anonymous, June 30, 2003, 14:54

Anonymous

Hi there.

Just wondering if anyone can see any benefit to keeping my stock exhaust when I change to a nice new twin exit in the near future?

I guess it might come in handy when I sell the car, if the prospective buyer/dealership is fussy about it being modified.. but I can't see why anyone would want the stock one put back on once they've seen the TTE fitted!

I can just see it gathering dust in the back of my garage, but it seems a shame to chuck it after 40k miles..

Any thoughts on what I can do with it?! (don't even go there!)  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Tim

GSB

I gave mine a bit of a clean and put it in my loft, and there it shall probably stay until I sell the car and put it back on again, and sell my H&S pipe to one of you guys.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

You could always mount it above the fireplace, like a stags head... only different!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I have TWO brand new never used ones, gonna save them as peeps are going to need replacing soon and they are £400 new apparently!! (Mr T Tells me)

Also 2003 onwards have bigger trim so more amy want them!

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"I have TWO brand new never used ones, gonna save them as peeps are going to need replacing soon and they are £400 new apparently!! (Mr T Tells me)

They're fully stainless, so should last donkeys years... I've heard figures of a 10-year life suggested, so you might have those spares for quite some time...

Anonymous

Cheers guys!

Lovin the idea of mounting it over the fireplace...I reckon the twin exit would look a lot better as a stag substitute though.. hey! Why am I even paying to have it fitted, when I could just screw it to the chimney breast when I get home!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Well, I have about 4 days to decide what to do with the old one, as the car is now booked in at Elite on Saturday morning to have the Remus fitted... and I've just realised I've been putting it off for the last year and a half! Tsk.

Tim

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "bigun007"I have TWO brand new never used ones, gonna save them as peeps are going to need replacing soon and they are £400 new apparently!! (Mr T Tells me)

They're fully stainless, so should last donkeys years... I've heard figures of a 10-year life suggested, so you might have those spares for quite some time...

Lol typical innit   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Chris

Also 2003 onwards have bigger trim so more amy want them!

blimey! that much?  that means that maybe i should've picked my old exhaust up from elite - it's worth more than the new one i had fitted!

mind you, i guess it wouldn't be worth that much on the second hand market - unless some muppet on ebay came up!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Yeah i'd accept £250

But i'm gonna be a long time waiting pmsl

Anonymous

Chris..

How did elite do at fitting your exhaust, I presume you have the Remus for £380?

I'm going up/down there this Saturday morning to get mine, so it would be good to have a bit of insider knowledge to check that they've done a proper job!

Cheers,
Tim

Chris

Yep, I've got the remus, and it cost me £383, plus £40 labour.  It was supposed to be free fitting, but that was based on the pre 2003 which is easier to work on, as they said they had to remove the rear light cluster on mine.

It was the first 03 they had done - they didn't know and had promised free fitting, it took them about 1.5 hours in the end so halved the labour costs...  still it gave me the chance to watch the cup final on their big tv!

actual fitting seems ok - no rattle as yet like liz!  I can't decide though if my right pipe is straight, some days i think it looks like it slighty off to the right, but it's nothing serious...

BTW, when approaching (from the m25) don't go roaring off from the lights as, it's easy to miss the entry on the left!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    When you see the sign for rainham steel then it's just past that on the left.
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "Chris"Yep, I've got the remus, and it cost me £383, plus £40 labour.  It was supposed to be free fitting, but that was based on the pre 2003 which is easier to work on, as they said they had to remove the rear light cluster on mine.

It was the first 03 they had done - they didn't know and had promised free fitting, it took them about 1.5 hours in the end so halved the labour costs...  still it gave me the chance to watch the cup final on their big tv!

Whats that funny farm-yard smell coming from Elite?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The only changes AFAIK to the rear are the little plastic inserts along with the re-modelled light-cluster lenses. There have been NO structural changes.

IMHO they should have been able to change the exhaust on an '03 easier because the bolts haven't had chance to go rusty! I suspect what really happened was they got caught out by an older car so increased the standard time to fit. Similar to what happened when Phil Dye had his fitted at Jemca Metro some time ago.

Mark Jones and I are planning a trip to Elite next week (along with Hayward & Scott) to discuss straight through cat-less systems

SteveJ

Anonymous

Cheers Chris!

"roaring off the lights"... ha ha! What, with the stock exhaust? More like purring...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Thanks for the tip, I'll try not to miss the entrance.

Mine's a 2000 model, and I've been given the impression that I shouldn't expect to pay for fitting... I'm calling them just before I leave on my 86 mile journey though, to check that it's in stock, and also to clarify the total cost to save hassle later!

Did you notice whether they had clear side repeaters at Elite by the way? I'll have an hour or so to kill to do some shopping..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Tim

Tags: