Running engine without Oil

Started by rabscott2003, August 24, 2010, 00:29

SteveJ

Quote from: "rabscott2003"Does anyone know if this could be a reconditioned 2000 model and not a 2004 which they say it is? I see there is a model code on it could i find out what kind it is as i dont want a oval bored engine.
The block NEVER changed during the production life of the 1ZZ, so I dont know why you are fixated on the early ones having 'oval bores'.

There was a problem with the bores GOING oval when they fail, and the reasons for that have never been completely explained (except to say that the Avensis suffered the same problem and it doesnt have pre-cats   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

normanh

I would say an oval bore in our engine is potentially a major problem for an engine re conditioner as the liners are incredibly  thin 2mm and are built into the block with the ali block is formed( the aluminium block is cast around the grey cast iron liners). Not much meat there! in all honesty all I can imagine being done is a measure up and a light hone, no serious machining can take place with that little metal there. If its oval its f**ked, so its a question of buyer beware.

norman

Anonymous

When oil control rings on pistons don't do their work ANY engine ends up with oval bores.........unless it's a Wankel,   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

SteveJ

The engine pictured above is NOT suitable to go into a UK/EU spec Roadster (or some J-Spec's that had the oil cooler) - it is missing the water return connection from the oil cooler/warmer in the head which should be present just below the inlet port closest to the flywheel.

You can blank the other connection off in the pipe that comes out of the thermostat housing, but in the winter you will find your oil takes a VERY long time to warm up - even with the turbo, I find mine takes ~5 miles before it even starts to register on my oil temp. guage.

widermuller

I'll think you will find the spelling is GAUGE  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Swaps owners, as much as it swaps ends!

Widermuller for hvac knobs, gearstick cage mounts, interior door pull kits in carbon or chrome! and much much more! Detailing our speciality!

rabscott2003

Well all i can say is my MRS will be in the hands of the fitters now at the breakers in yorkshire. They are putting a MR2 2006 23000 miles engine in it.

They said it will work fine.

Wabbitkilla

Sounds good to me, you will have to let us know if you would recommend them after putting some miles o. the new engine.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

rabscott2003

I will do a report on it all with pics thanks again

furkh

Quote from: "rabscott2003"Well all i can say is my MRS will be in the hands of the fitters now at the breakers in yorkshire. They are putting a MR2 2006 23000 miles engine in it.

They said it will work fine.

Hey, who is doing the engine swap for you?
Is it Dewsbury auto salvage by any chance?
MR2 2000 - Silver with charcoal alloys, Pirelli tyres, 2006 Engine swap, pre-cats removed, kenwood ICE with all leathers. Next: induction kit and wider tyres.

rabscott2003

Yes its Dewsbury Autosalvage.

furkh

they did my engine too - did a good job  :-) :-) :-)  i got a 2006 @18000 miles for £900

now mine runs as smooth as ever  :-) :-) :-)
MR2 2000 - Silver with charcoal alloys, Pirelli tyres, 2006 Engine swap, pre-cats removed, kenwood ICE with all leathers. Next: induction kit and wider tyres.

MTandMC

Hi, am new here to the forum but very interested in your thread. Could you tell me how your engine swap has gone and if you have had any problems?
My car needed an engine swap and have used the same company. Just wanted to know about your experience with them?
Many thanks.

Anonymous

Quote from: "MTandMC"Hi, am new here to the forum but very interested in your thread. Could you tell me how your engine swap has gone and if you have had any problems?
My car needed an engine swap and have used the same company. Just wanted to know about your experience with them?
Many thanks.

Sounds like he's having problems from the sound of his other post.    l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31502&p=383729#p383729 l

MTandMC

Yes you can see that I'm not that happy at the moment. Had the engine swap... then had gearbox trouble as it would find 1st, 3rd and 5th after only 100miles of driving back from Dewsbury (gearbox fine before swap).
Then local garage tried to fix and the gear cables snapped as they were kinked (they think they got kinked when the engine was fitted). Dewsbury sent more cables and local garage then fitted to which seems ok.
I was assuming the engine would be complete with all anxilleries etc... but apparently not, so the battery is losing it's charge still as was before the swap.
Dewsbury did send a replacement though which I have just recieved but no idea what condition this is.
So they are trying for sure. Just think they need to work on their people skills and supply their customers with the right paperwork etc... as it all sounded a little 'back street' to me. We asked for some form of paperwork just to state that a newer engine had been fitted but they said they couldn't do it otherwise they would have to charge us VAT? I only wanted a piece of hand written paper stating a newer 2006 engine had been fitted with low miles so that when we came to selling it the new owner would know the mileometer wasn't true and 50'000 miles less than it was showing!

So I am happy to get the car back for sure but not that it has taked over 4 weeks to do!

markiii

you don;t pay vat

you pay a price

they pay teh vat to teh treasury
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "MTandMC"We asked for some form of paperwork just to state that a newer engine had been fitted but they said they couldn't do it otherwise they would have to charge us VAT?

In other words - you paid cash in hand and they're not going to tell HMRC about it and, thus, nobody pays tax.. If there's a paper trail and they're ever audited they're in serious bother, so naturally they'll refuse to create a paper trail..

I wonder if HMRC are reading?  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

might be worth reminding them of teh fact

seeing as how any offence is comitted by them not you

reporting them if they don;t play ball costs you nothing
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

frogger

Sounds like they need to work on their basic mechanical skills too if they managed to munch the gear shift cables! (in addition to their customer service skills and dubious book keeping!).

MTandMC

Thanks guys I realise they dont want a paper trail but it all seems just 'hooky' to me. Not even supplying a hand written note for the customer just to say they fitted a newer engine is really bad customer service. And dont get me started on the staff who kept fobbing us off and telling us to ring this and that number and speak to a different person each time.
And still got one of the same problems of the battery losing its charge!

Tags: