Damp carpet in drivers side footwell

Started by knightime, August 28, 2010, 11:18

Ilogik

One thing i really hate about these cars is trying to find the leaks, took me a month haha had all the interior out, i also gave it a coat of rust proofing incase it happened again. The material they use under the carpet is like a rats nest, good to swap it out for some rubber if you get chance.  I used an old camping mat
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

Thanks for share great idea keep it up!!!

Ilogik

Will post some pictures when get homeof problem areas and how I cracked it.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Two's Company

Drivers side carpet on mine was soaking wet through and I think it is because I parked it on a very slight incline in a car park with the front pointing up.  It has rained here nearly every day for months so I think this is the cause.  In the process of drying out the matt and the carpets but a rediculous amount of water in there.  Gone through rolls of kitchen roll soaking it up already.  

Need to double check the drains just in case, clean the seals then top up the Gummifledge at the weekend.

Two's Company

How tight are your hoods against the window surround inside where the catches are?  I have maybe a 10mm gap and I'm sure the latches aren't pulling the hood as tight as they used to.  Can the catches be adjusted?

Thanks

Steve

Anonymous

I bought my 56 plate MR2 TF300 at Easter and shortly after noticed a small amount of water in the well beside the bonnet release.  The hard top was fitted at this time.  Just back from two weeks holiday and the whole footwell on the drivers side is squelching with water.  Checked the drain visually from the top and it seems clear and when you pour water down it runs freely.  The storage lockers are totally dry too.  After the first time i noticed the water I mentioned it to the toyota garage and they said they had traced this to a weld that was incomplete but they hadn't fixed or sealed this as it should really be dried out properly and they would need to remove all the plastic under the bonnet.  Estimated cost of over £500 due to the fact the job was labour intensive.  Anyone else been offered this as a reason for water ingress?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received as the shine is fast coming off my new toy!

Many thanks,
Liz   s:) :) s:)

AckersMR2

First of all, hi Liz, welcome along.

Would I be right in thinking the cars been standing on the drive while you've been away? I'd be surprised if a poor weld under the bonnet would be responsible for that if the car hasn't even moved?

Have you seen any signs of water running down the inside of the window? I noticed mine was wet down by the petrol/engine lid levers and then noticed the plastic window guide on the windscreen pillar had been bent in by the window creating a gap and allowing the water in.
If it is that you should see a small black plastic tab half way up the windscreen pillar, the window is supposed to be behind it when it's up but sometimes it gets the other side and traps the tab against the rubber allowing water in?
You just need to carefully bend it back out.

Let us know how you get on

Chris.
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Yeah Chris the car was standing on the drive for over two weeks.  I've never noticed any water running down the window however yes it was in the small well for the levers I noticed the water first.  The hard top was fitted at this time.  The car has only done 25k and is pristine apart from this annoying problem so i would really like to get to the bottom of it.  I was surprised that my local dealer came up with this weld issue after a cursory look at it.  Still find it hard to believe unless they have inside knowledge.

Thanks again   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I think you may need to have someone in the car with a bright light whilst you pour water from a watering can over the car to check door/roof seals etc and see if anything obvious shows.

Anonymous

You could always start the car put the blower on full speed (Not re-circulation), make sure the windows & doors are tight shut then get a watering can full of strong soapy water (Car shampoo will do) and go over the seals etc, the positive preasure in the car should show any obvious ones with a stream of bubbles  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Will try anything guys!  Thanks for the advice.  If it dries up long enough I'll see if I can find it this weekend.  Will let you know how it goes  s:-D :-D s:-D

normanh

So simple to adjust the catches  - release the catch then you will see the mechanism and a hexagonal fixing centrally placed, it has a retaining tab which is flipped back away from you once moved back just turn the hexagon to tighten, i think its a left handed thread so try either direction its clear when it adjusts up then pull locking tab back into position. I would just do a small amount at a time so as you dont over tighten the catch.

norman

Two's Company

Is your drive on an incline?  I have had a situation where the car was on an incline with the front pointing upwards and the footwell ended up damp after a downpour.  Otherwise there is no problem.

Anonymous

Update!   It rained here all day and all night yesterday...again today!   The car has not been moved from it's place in the drive (which is on the level) and it is not any wetter! The floor is touch dry after the towels newspapers etc!  Been out to it this afternoon.  Lined the floor area with dry brown paper tucked it under the pedals beneath the seat and behind the seat up towards the storage lockers.  Stood and sprayed it for almost half an hour with a hose  in all directions while my husband sat inside!   Not a drop!!!  Aargh!!!!!!

Frustrated doesn't come close!

Anonymous

Could it be the window wasnt all the way up?

Essex_Nick

I had a massive leak, my passenger side footwell was under about an inch of water. I suspect this was the cause of my radio and aerial problems. Anyway i found the leak. A plastic pipe that links to the drain holes had come away inside the storage bins.

Anonymous

A slight bit of success but not all the way there yet!  I rigged up a sprinkler on a telescopic bike stand and left it running over the car for about ninety minutes!  There was a slight drip from the mid window joint on the hood but that was pretty insignificant and the conditions were pretty extreme.  Noticed two fairly constant rivulets running down behind the relays next to the throttle.  The water is coming from way up above this so now I just have to find out where.  It's in a pretty inaccessible area so any tips would be appreciated.  Also if anyone has any good ideas on how to dry out the carpets as I've tried the wet vacuum towels under and newspapers under and the sound proofing is still soaking!  Is there an easy way to remove the front part of the carpet enough to get something under it?
Many thanks  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Ok so I have now stripped out everything under the bonnet. Removed the wipers and all plastics.  Right in the corner next to the door below the windscreen there is a small weld which appeared unfinished in that I can run a piece of wire into it which disappears somewhere into the car....can't see it.  I thought that I had found my problem as when I poured water over only this area it appeared in the footwell.  I then plugged this hole and poured water over the same area.  Again it appeared in the footwell.  At least I now know the area the leak is coming from!

Anonymous

Time to thank everyone for all their advice!  My gorgeous little roadster is now fixed and drying out as we speak.  Directly above the brake linkage as it goes through the bulkhead there was a seam that the sealant had perished and was allowing a considerable amount of water into the footwell.  This has now been pumped full of silicone and is appearing watertight!  Only hoping now for some sun to reach the north of Scotland to allow me to enjoy driving around with the top down!  Fingers crossed for some summer!

Many thanks to all  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

s:) :) s:)  Thanks for posting the feedback. Not a common fault as far as I know.

steve b

Fitting the bucket seats to mine I found sodden driverside footwell syndrome ...

Anyway mine I can see exactly where on the inside its coming from.  Right up front where the bulkhead meets the sill so it's water draining off the windscreen.  Thing is I have no idea where it's coming into the car I can't see any drains in that area to unblock??
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

dcod

oops, dummy post  s:( :( s:(
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Tags: