PLEASE HELP WITH THIS SMT GEARBOX

Started by TO-OLD, September 12, 2010, 12:59

TO-OLD

Ok i have arranged to buy an x reg mr-s smt(semi auto box),the owner has been quite honest with me and has told me there is a fault,the smt part of the system,apparently the fault is   two  stroke sensors (i think the car currenty wont engagage in gear)  can anyone please shed some light on this,cost of repair,can anyone repair this,etc.....as always i would really appreciate your help on this one as the car is currently over 200miles away and in its current state would have to be towed?

Ilogik

Don't buy it, could end up costing you silly amounts if its not what they say it is.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

One of these might be useful.   m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mr2-seq-gearbox-a ... 500wt_1154 m

TO-OLD

This is what was said.

The gearbox is fine its the SMT part of the system. The precise part that i know of is two "stroke sensors" that monitor what the clutch and gear shaft are doing

TO-OLD

This is what was said.

The gearbox is fine its the SMT part of the system. The precise part that i know of is two "stroke sensors" that monitor what the clutch and gear shaft are doing

aaronjb

Quote89419   SENSOR, CLUTCH STROKE
89419‑0W010   ZZW30..5FS (08/2000 - 07/2001)   3   € 303.10
89419‑0W020   ZZW30..5FS (08/2001 - 07/2002)   3   € 197.99

By the way, that '3' is, as far as I know, the 'quantity required' - i.e. there are three at between €200 and €300 each.

The other sensors are, I believe, part of the actuator assembly - see ebay link above or, if you have money to burn:

Quote33960   ACTUATOR ASSY, SEQUENTIAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION
33960‑0W010   ZZW30..5FS (08/2000 - 07/2001)   1   € 1,684.56
33960‑0W011   ZZW30..5FS (08/2001 - 07/2002)   1   € 1,684.56
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

TO-OLD

My god based on that most mr2s with smt will be scrapped,flippin gutted

Anonymous

Or converted to manual.

TO-OLD

I was thinking if this an be done,to be honest i love cars but have a very basic knowledge hence the post,would this be a big job with parts accesable?Stephen

aaronjb

Quote from: "TO-OLD"My god based on that most mr2s with smt will be scrapped,flippin gutted

And that's just the actuator assembly. Want to know how much list is for the pump assembly? Let's see:

Quote31360F   PUMP ASSY, SEQUENTIAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION
31360‑0W010   ZZW30..5FS   1   € 1,745.63

So, altogether.. that's more than most cars of 'failure age' will be worth.

Do I need to add that the pump is 'non repairable'? Although having said that, some enterprising souls did find that the seal which fails in the pump is the same as the speedo casing seal on (I think it was) a Scania truck.

Converting to manual is easier than you'd think, too (to echo the above) - clutch pedal assembly, clutch master cylinder, hydraulic lines and slave cylinder, gear lever, cables and the shifter assembly from a scrap manual gearbox and you're done (well, with some drilling, swearing and cursing, naturally, and to do it properly you need to drop the fuel tank IIRC as the hydraulic lines and cables run above the tank)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

TO-OLD

Blimey and thats to get someone to do it,taken into account what guideline price to have this done.

I will also get a rundown of the cars actual state,e.g stuck in gear,stalling when put into gear.....dont know if it will matter.

Cap

Here is a link to what all that stuff looks like..  
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... T-overheat m

Cap

TO-OLD

Thanks for all replies,appreciated,any more experiences or help just keep them coming

mrzwei

Rogue Motorsport did a conversion to manual back in 2008 as I recall. They also had some SMT bits going spare. May be worth a call  e mailto:matt@roguemotorsport.com">matt@roguemotorsport.com e

Those Euro prices are looking expensive so may be worth a quote from Mr T (or not   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

TO-OLD

Thanks for that dropped a mail.

TO-OLD

This the latest piece of news the owner sent me   engine is not running as its stuck in gear,was checked out and 2 faulty sensors removed(cost £200 each??)  whats your opinions

Anonymous

Walk away.

Ilogik

Give me the money ill set it on fire.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Walk away unless his offering to sell it you for £500
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Cap

It would have to take on the label of 'Project Car'..  you would have to get it home somehow..  then find a clean spot to work on it..   then learn about all the in's and out's of the SMT ..  

Are you up for that??..

If you just want a Spyder..  find another one..  If you want to be an SMT Expert..  take tis one..  

Cap

TO-OLD

The price is £1500 plus transportation costs to get it here? dont know how much that is either

TO-OLD

Also (sorry to myther) the 2 sensors being removed and needing replacement.does this sound right  and at £200 each

Anonymous

What is your budget for a roadster?

TO-OLD

Not that much to be honest nelix,was originally looking at mx5(reliability) then remembering the fun i had in my other roadster  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

If you a small budget chances are you will get a poor car.

TO-OLD

you are right thats why i suppose i have to be extra carefull and maybe wait a little,i guess i was hoping the problem with the one with problem smt could be repaired for sensible money.

Tags: