PLEASE HELP WITH THIS SMT GEARBOX

Started by TO-OLD, September 12, 2010, 12:59

mrzwei

A horse, a horse, my kingdom for someone who can repair an smt   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

TO-OLD

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

TO-OLD

Dug this out im i right in saying there are 3 sensors,(the problem is with 2) as this a job to far in replacing them

m http://www.ariclim.com/files/mr2spyder/SMT.pdf m

kentsmudger

Quote from: "nelix"Walk away.

No - Run away!

Save your money, wait for a car that you can actually drive away in.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

trebor

I just had to spend over £3,000 to get my car mobile again after the SMT actuator pump died! I promise you that this is not worth it!

Bob
2003 SMT. Astral Black de-badged except for Likwid Art rear badge, JDM front badge. JDM wheel caps, JDM steering wheel badge, JDM style side repeaters. mongos. TTE lowering springs

cclarke99

There are three sensors, one monitors the position of the clutch and the other two the forwards-backwards and side-side movement of the gear selector. The output from these provides feedback for the control system. It's very unlikely that all three are broken. All are monitored and reported through the diagnostic system so it should be easy to determine where the fault is, and replacing the sensors is easy. It might be something as simple as a bad connection.

What would worry me is that what was originally a simple repair has been made a lot worse by people who don't know how to fix these things.If you are very confident in this type of repair ourself or know someone who is then it might be worth buying, but £1500 for a £3500 car which would have to be trailered away is too much, it's really worth about £750 in it's present condition. If you could get it for that and can fix it, then it's worth considering

TO-OLD

Thanks for all your help(thanks cap) couple of days to digest and you all correct as much as it dissapoints the wife i will have have to leave it as at the end of the day i want to buy to enjoy the drive not to spend every weekend repairing and headscratching.  s:D :D s:D

K T M Rider

plenty of (apparently perfectly driveable) early roadsters now selling for around the 2 grand mark on ebay, which sounds like would be within your budget.

Would not have considered an SMT personally as I always run my cars on as small a budget as I can get away with and autobox always = more to go wrong.

My roadster was a sub 2k ebay special and apart from heavy oil use and a suspected failed cat, has been generally fab.

If buying another, I would check for precat degradation, oil burning at high rpm and any stored codes on the OBD2, before parting with any cash

Fortunately my precats turned out to be perfect  s:D :D s:D
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Tags: