Brake noise - possible shim?

Started by sam1176uk, September 20, 2010, 14:59

sam1176uk

Hello,

I've done a few searches with no success, wonder if someone can help.

I'm getting a single noise when i press the brakes which is coming from the O/S/F wheel, it sounds very similar to one i had on my mk2 which turned out to be loose/worn brake shims, wondered if this is common on the mk3 as well?
The noise sounds like the pads moving and "clunking" but they seemed pretty solid when i had a quick look at them.

Cheers

frogger

Yes - I have this feckin noise too!

Ripped apart everything brake-component-wise several times to investigate with no joy.

I thought it was brake-component related for a long time, but now I think it is actually more todo with the suspension, and that the inertia/weight shift caused by braking causes the suspension to 'clunk' into a different position.

At the moment I'm thinking top mounts, but I really aint sure.

If anyone's resolved this exact issue please shout!!!

sam1176uk

Pretty sure it's not the suspension as it does it even when i just feather the brakes, so it barely makes any difference to the suspension components, no weight shift or anything.
Will take the brakes apart at the weekend and have a look but it sounds suspiciously like the same noise i had on my mk2, it turned out to be shims!

frogger

Yep, still sounds exactly the same as mine.

I have no shims fitted, so certainly isnt them (in my case).

Feathering the brakes still creates forces on the suspension components, even if they're not strong enough to 'feel' the overall inertia of the car shifting.

What DOES stop the noise though is jacking up the corner of the car - then it's silent for a few minutes... But starts up again when things settle.
This is very annoying as you keep thinking you've solved it when everythings back together again, and then... clunk.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

sam1176uk

Could it not be because you have no shims that the pads are moving around?

Anonymous

Hi, i had exactly the same problem.
My shims had completley dropped out somehow.
New brake pads and fitting kit were fitted and the noise is gone.

sam1176uk

Had a look tonight and there looked to be 2 shims, one top and one bottom (front brake), didnt appear to be anything missing?  Maybe they are worn or something?
Does anywhere apart from Toyota supply the shim kits or does someone have a pic of their front brakes so i can compare??

Cheers

sam1176uk

Just found this pic http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/March/tn_DSCF0765_JPG.jpg

Mine dont have the metal shims that look to fit on the back of the pads, i assume that's what i'm missing?
Anyone know where to get?

frogger

You're talking about the anti-squeal shims that fit on the back of the pads??

I can't see how those would limit movment movement in that direction (i.e. rotational movement about the hub).
That said I'm sure they can't cost that much to replace and I'm willing to try anything at the moment!

Really can't see it making feck all difference though.   s:? :? s:?

sam1176uk

Dont know mate, just looking at possibilities!  Do they not hold the pad in place slightly?

frogger

Not really. I can't see them aiding things in any direction...

However - I just got a reply from a guy over on twobrutal who had the same thing for a while...

Quote"I eventually sorted the problem through a combination of swapping the pads around and giving everything a good clean. I reckon the pads are not a very good fit causing the knocking"

This seems feasible. So I might try some swapping about of pads, or some new pads (think the ones in there now are Mintex - not anything special, but not completely unbranded either!).

Unfortunately ebay seems to be filled with unbranded, Mintex... or EBC - nothing else.
EBC are not a company I rate very highly, but here's to hoping EBC yellows are at least a better fit than the Mintex's...

sam1176uk

Mine are Mintex pads as well, could possibly be them right enough.

aaronjb

Quote from: "frogger"EBC are not a company I rate very highly, but here's to hoping EBC yellows are at least a better fit than the Mintex's...

FWIW I have Yellowstuff on my car and I'd rate them quite highly (much, much nicer than Greenstuff)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

How many years did we tell you that?  s;) ;) s;)

frogger

cheers, good to know   s8) 8) s8)

mrzwei

Either drive with the roof down more often or turn the radio up. I've never owned a car with so many noises. Probably not a very helpful post   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

frogger

Quote from: "mrzwei"Either drive with the roof down more often or turn the radio up. I've never owned a car with so many noises. Probably not a very helpful post   s:D :D s:D

lol, unfortunately this is a proper CLUNK (audiable with roof down!) that makes you think a suspension arm / wheel is about to part ways...

frogger

To update - the clunk WAS caused by a slightly poor quality (in terms of size control) Mintex pad, just a little bit too small so it shifts about just a tiny bit in the caliper. Now have a new set of pads - No Noise.   s:D :D s:D

Chris_h

Hi,

Hoping the combined ROC knowledge can help me with a similar problem, but not the same - although brake related.

When coming to a standstill on a VERY light brake (i.e. just taking up slack in system) i am getting a 'shhhhhhh - shhhhhhh) noise - which I expect is related to the wheel rotation and something catching. Nothing visiblly adrift, no noises audible at speed.

Also a very light groaning noise as if suspension bushes (?) - maybe the too are unrelated, but this also occurs at very low speeds (sub 5mph) when coming to a halt on a VERY light brake.

Pretty sure wheel bearings OK and no obvious loose links / knackered bushes.

ANy ideas? -

Many thanks

(otherwise loving the 2 again!)
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

FGrob

What type of disc have you got fitted Chris - standard or sloted?
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Anonymous

Your pads aren't low and it's the squealer spring?

Chris_h

Hi Rob / LesStandard OEM stuff - its also the slight graunching noise that occurs at the same time that worries me. (even under miniscule brake pedal pressure - just enough to take up slack so wouldnt have through it would be a susp bush - or would it??)

Les - pads replaced in the past 12 months, thickness looks good.

I think this may be one for ding day and the collective ROC knowledge - Easter Egg for whoever diagnoses first!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Hi, i had the same problem.
The noise started all of a sudden, i was unable to find anything worn or missing.
I took the car to a friend at a local garage. He changed the pads and put a new fixing kit on.
That was the problem sorted.

Hope this helps.

Steve Green

Toyota issued a service bulletin sroposing the use of 08887–80609 Disc Brake Caliper Grease  to lubricate the contact points where the pads sit in the carriers etc. etc.

Worth pointing out that 'rubber' brake seals do not like standard grease. Always use Millers Red Rubber Grease when assembling calipers etc.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Chris_h

Quote from: "Chris_h"Hi Rob / LesStandard OEM stuff - its also the slight graunching noise that occurs at the same time that worries me. (even under miniscule brake pedal pressure - just enough to take up slack so wouldnt have through it would be a susp bush - or would it??)

Les - pads replaced in the past 12 months, thickness looks good.

I think this may be one for ding day and the collective ROC knowledge - Easter Egg for whoever diagnoses first!

Just to answer my query in case anyone else is searching with a similar problem...

After a trip to the SPitStop, much swearing many hours, it appears my rear brake set up was using generic pads that didnt happily fit (very very tight fit) and possibly the clips on the inside pad has been installed the wrong way round.

To cut a long story short, much greasing, a bit of filing and Ste's patience has erradicated the noise!!

I can only lay claim to holding the light and making coffee ...

Tags: