BC Coilovers VS Koni Adjustables

Started by vinp182, September 21, 2010, 09:27

vinp182

Im quite new to the Roadster, had mine for about 6 months or so. In that time i've had a complete engine re-build and done a few minor cosmetic changes

I'm now looking at changing my stock shocks and springs but would like some advice please  s:D :D s:D

I have my name down for the GB on BC's but i've been looking around and found the Koni's (don't want standards with lowering springs)

My aim for this car is to make it look nice and be comfy on long runs (scotland/France/etc) but still be a great handler, my list includes strut braces and under bracing, suspension, bushes, brakes, etc.

Just bought new wheels but don't wanna fit them untill the suspension and bushes are done and i've had the alignment done

The future might see the car getting more power too so any suspension mods i do now also need to be good for then

I have Tein coilovers on my mk2 Turbo which are great for that car but as said above, i want this car to be more for touring at the moment

Anyone have either fitted or can recommend somethin else? (don't really wanna buy new standard shocks with lowering springs)

Thanks in advance  s:D :D s:D

Vinny
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Wabbitkilla

I've driven a 2 with the Koni inserts and TTE lowering springs, it was a very supple ride while maintaining very nice handling.
I'm sure you wou would be happy with them.

Saying that if you went for BC's with lower strength springs then they'd probably be nice too - just no one has experimented much with the springs yet.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

vinp182

Thanks for the quick reply  s:D :D s:D

I don't really want to be the one that experiments tbh as i'm not super rich im affraid  s:( :( s:(

I was hoping to get to visit you guys last weekend at Jay's re-shell but i couldn't make it. I was chatting to Pete T the other day and he mentioned you had BC's on yours so was hoping to get your opinion......... And maybe a sit in  s:D :D s:D

I might try and pop up one of the days this weekend if you guys are back there
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

Wabbitkilla

No problem, but you have to bear in mind I like a firm ride (steady Russ   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) and mine is pretty harsh.
But then some people find it's ok - everyone has their opinion, it's all down to personal taste.

Mind I seem to remember you need to hack the oem shocks to put Koni inserts in for the Koni solution ... but like I said it was a very nice ride.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

vinp182

m http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... t=15346265 m

i don't think they are inserts ?   s:? :? s:?
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

Wabbitkilla

They were at one time, looks better like that though eh!
Do they come with topmounts?

vinp182

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Do they come with topmounts?

I don't think so. That won't be where i get them from (if i do) but the website is down from the other place... I guess i can ask the question
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

uktotty

40mm is a hell of a drop though! Dont you have speed bumps where you are from?

vinp182

Quote from: "uktotty"40mm is a hell of a drop though! Dont you have speed bumps where you are from?

Yeah, i didn't think of that   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I guess thats one for the BC'c lol
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

frogger

On the mk1 MR2's anything Koni has always had the better rep over BC coilovers, both in terms of damping performance and longlevity.

IIRC I recall the damping characteristics of both being put on a damper dyno a while back and there was no contest in terms of the actual performance and engineering that goes into the valving.

Regarding lifespan, I'm pretty sure I've heard of BC racing coilovers having corrosion issues after a few years (though I have no evidence to hand so dont quote me on that lol).

For a road car I would sooner be going Koni insert + springs (or the koni kit above) than anything else UNLESS I had over a grand to spend on a proper set of coilovers, and even then I probably wouldn't go for that unless I was tracking the car on the weekends! A good set of dampers and springs will give you the best performance on the road generally.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "vinp182"Thanks for the quick reply  s:D :D s:D

I don't really want to be the one that experiments tbh as i'm not super rich Im affraid  s:( :( s:(

I was hoping to get to visit you guys last weekend at Jay's re-shell but i couldn't make it. I was chatting to Pete T the other day and he mentioned you had BC's on yours so was hoping to get your opinion......... And maybe a sit in  s:D :D s:D

I might try and pop up one of the days this weekend if you guys are back there

BCs are stiff. Even the lowest spring rate available (4Kg front / 6Kg rear) is twice as stiff as stock and you will definitely feel it. If you find yourself over Essex way, give us a shout, you are welcome to a ride in mine.

I reckon the Konis will be better made, but 40mm drop is IMO too low from a handling point of view. BCs are a good basic coilover. KW may be my choice when the BCs wear out, but touch wood, they are doing fine after more than 25,000 miles.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

vinp182

Thanks for the replies everyone, its much appreciated   s:D :D s:D  

But im still in the same position   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Can anyone throw any other options in at all?

BC's maybe too stiff

Koni's maybe too low
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

Wabbitkilla

And K-Sport are even stiffer than the BC's   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Goeman

Is there anything wrong with just putting on some lowering springs? There's plenty of choice that all drop the car about 30mm. TTE, Tein, etc.

I'm on TTE springs and I'm quite happy. The car is good for road and track use. I'm not inclined to change for anything less than high end coilovers.
Russell

uktotty

Agree with Russell
TTE springs on new dampers, my ride is fine!

And also pretty much all the springs you get are a 30mm drop.
Guy on here has some Teins but you will have to drive to Scotland to get them  s:( :( s:(

vinp182

Quote from: "Goeman"Is there anything wrong with just putting on some lowering springs. There's plenty of choice that all drop the car about 30mm. TTE, Tein, etc.

I'm on TTE springs and I'm quite happy. The car is good for road and track use. I'm not inclined to change for anything less than high end coilovers.

My standard shocks have seen better days, so if i go that route i would have to buy new standard shocks as i don't really wanna put second hand ones on.. I just thought if i'm spendin money on brand new stuff why but standards

Altho it might well be worth concidering now
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

Goeman

m http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/index ... &Itemid=71 m

Right. So £300 for new dampers and £150 for springs. You end up with a relatively comfortable but capable car. That set up should be good for anything less than forced induction power. I take my car on track often and that set up works pretty well and it's not too hard on the roads.
Russell

ChrisGB

There is the KYB damper option too, or Koni inserts.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

vinp182

Quote from: "Goeman"http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=155&Itemid=71

Right. So £300 for new dampers and £150 for springs. You end up with a relatively comfortable but capable car. That set up should be good for anything less than forced induction power. I take my car on track often and that set up works pretty well and it's not too hard on the roads.

Yeah i just priced these up and i'm now concidering these too......  Altho turbo power could well be an option for me in the not so distant future   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Thanks again for everyones help so far   s:) :) s:)
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

Goeman

Quote from: "ChrisGB"There is the KYB damper option too, or Koni inserts.
Are the inserts hard to fit. I've heard very little about them. Fensport are selling them for £150 each which seams a bit steep to me.

I'm not after a set. Just curious.
Russell

frogger

Damper replacement and springs sounds like a top notch option to me.
Go for KYB or Koni.

Replacing the inserts on my mk1 suspension was an easy enough job, only difficult bit was getting the big nut on top of the damper body off, but a big ol' stilston wrecnch sorted that. Not a clue if the mk3's are the same though!!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Goeman"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"There is the KYB damper option too, or Koni inserts.
Are the inserts hard to fit. I've heard very little about them. Fensport are selling them for £150 each which seams a bit steep to me.

I'm not after a set. Just curious.

As far as I know, the dampers are crimped into the strut body on the Mk3. From memory, you have to cut around the top of the strut leg to free the old damper cartridge and then plug the Koni inserts in. Every review of the inserts I have read is favourable.

Chris

vinp182

Thanks everyone   s:D :D s:D  

Looks like the GB on the BC's is goin ahead and we can chose the springs we want. So I think i'm gonna go for these with some of the softer springs and hope for the best lol

Vinny
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

Ilogik

Go for the BC's, on lowest setting they are fine, not stiff at all. If you want come have a drive in mine. Best coilovers I have owned, inserts are good but if you want it to sit nice and low or want to raise it your stuck at one height.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: