Wiring MR2 Spyder for a trailer

Started by Anonymous, September 28, 2010, 16:58

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me if a converter is required to wire up the MR2 Spyder for lighting up a trailer?  Thanks JD

E

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Can you even get a Tow bar.

SteveJ

This was discussed in several threads recently (use the search button  s;) ;) s;)  ) - the upshot is the ZZW-30 MR2 is zero-rated for towing weight - ie. The manufacturer does not rate it for towing at all, so (in the UK at least) it would be ileagal to tow a trailer behind it.

Gif

Quote from: "jdm7"Can anyone tell me if a converter is required to wire up the MR2 Spyder for lighting up a trailer?  Thanks JD
Not aware that there is a connector provided to power the electrics so I guess you would have to manually wire in the circuits yourself.  That being the case, no convertor would be required as you would be wiring it correctly from scratch.
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

Anonymous

Will they allow you to pull a trailer with a motercycle in the UK  s:?: :?: s:?:

uktotty

Quote from: "jdm7"Will they allow you to pull a trailer with a motercycle in the UK  s:?: :?: s:?:
Yes! Some guy got pulled by the law on a documentary show, and afterwards they apologised that there was no law against it in the UK

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "jdm7"Will they allow you to pull a trailer with a motercycle in the UK  s:?: :?: s:?:
Yes! Some guy got pulled by the law on a documentary show, and afterwards they apologised that there was no law against it in the UK

What in an MR2 roadster with an aftermarket/self made, non type approved towing bar?

uktotty

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"

What in an MR2 roadster with an aftermarket/self made, non type approved towing bar?

No a MOTORCYCLE pulling a trailer

aaronjb

Here's another gem of information not all that helpful to the OP, but slightly pertinent nontheless..

For any car built after (I think it's) 1998, any towbar fitted must be Type Approved for that car and be stamped with the approval number, otherwise it's illegal.

Found that out when I wanted to transplant a towbar from a 1996 Omega Estate (pre- type approval) to a 2001 Omega Estate.. nope, can't do that. Logical, huh.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "uktotty"Yes! Some guy got pulled by the law on a documentary show, and afterwards they apologised that there was no law against it in the UK

No a MOTORCYCLE pulling a trailer

Doh, I read jdm7's quote as  
Will they allow you to pull a trailer with a motercycle ON IT in the UK?

I don't think my eyes work!

roger

I've seen at least one trailer (on SC I think). You might try searching there.

As usual it all comes down to insurance I reckon. Ask them, and since insurance is a contract of "utmost faith" you should tell them it is not recommended. I guess I know what the answer would be in that scenario.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

It looks like you would have a real problem in the UK doing what I am doing in the US. I will put up some photos when the project is finished and you all can be the judge. Common sense should come into play somewhere, don't you think?.  Here in the US, it's just like being in the Army, don't ask don't tell.    JD

roger

Ah, didn't get you were in the US. That's what comes of commenting on matters other than the question - we're quite good at that here    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Roger, roger.  And thank you all for the come backs. JD

Anonymous

this the closest topic i could find. please forgive me if i offend anyone. my query is i want to use a towing dolly,this means that the rear wheels are on the ground and rotate without the engine running. is there anything that needs forced lubrication in the gearbox? is the lsd affected by being towed?

Anonymous

Here are some photos of my Grand Touring MR2 spyder.  JD     m http://rides.webshots.com/album/578971483rlpmDC m

Tags: