CAT heat shield to be removed...

Started by Anonymous, March 18, 2004, 17:08

Anonymous

Only go my 2 at the weekend, and over the past couple of days couldnt help but think it sounded like a diesel. After reading the known faults post i thought it would be the pre-tensioner that had gone.

Took it to toyota today, heard there was a bit of a clatter to the engine and immediately put it up on the ramps with me revving the engine. It's at about 3000rpm where you can particularly hear the clatter. The toyota tech guy immediately noticed that the heat shield around the main cat has corroded and been tied back together where the bolts had corroded, it was vibrating against the cat.

They told my they wouldnt be able to get a new heat shield as its part of the cat, so they either order a whole new cat (over £600) or simply remove the corroded heat shield

I have it booked in next thursday to remove the heat shield. Will my 2 still be ok and am i going to have any further problems?

markiii

it's a common fault. the next place to go will be the shield at the front of the cat pipe where it goes from 2 - 1.

this can also be removed.

biggest issue when you do this is that the plastic undertray starts to get a little warm.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

mine hasnt got an undertray anyway   s:? :? s:?   it an MRS, dont know if they come without one?

markiii

some did some didn't depends on the model.

the only other thing I'd keep an eye on is probably the reason thsi happened in teh first place.

teh cat gets bloody hot, with no undertray driving through a lot of water will cool it down very rapidly. probably not great for teh longevity of the the cat.

personally, if your tempted by a piggyback ecu at any point I'd just have it cut out and a decat pipe put in.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

hope it would still pass an MOT emissions test when de-cated? how much are we looking at for a de-cat pipe?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tomr2"hope it would still pass an MOT emissions test when de-cated? how much are we looking at for a de-cat pipe?

It will if you get a piggy back ecu so you can adjust the fuel on MOT day. You then can just get an exhaust place to cut up your own cat and put a straight through pipe. Should cost no more than £50.

Anonymous

worth considering, means messing about though just before MOT day. plus, i dont really know of a place roound here that would be able to change the settings of the piggy back ECU

Tags: