4 years in, first annoying rattle!!

Started by carl_evs, September 30, 2010, 18:35

carl_evs

So, having read plenty of threads where people have the annoying little rattles et al, I have always been amused to find that my 2 has never really had any, until today. With the weather being unusually good today I took the oppurtunity for a roof down jaunt to the brewery. Sadly much to my dismay I seem to have developed the most annoying rattle.
It seems to be coming from the right rear wheel area although I know how hard these can be to locate and they aren't always where you would expect them to be. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing major although we all know how the mind likes to work. From what i can hear it also seems to increase with speed - have already checked the wheel nut tightness and had a little look around. Problem is I am in the process of moving pubs so all my tools and 'working wear' are at the other pub and first oppurtunity I get for a proper look may well be Sat afternoon.  s:( :( s:(
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

deadmau5

I had a very similar problem.

Check that there aren't any stones that are stuck in the tread of the tyre.

Check that your brake disks and pads are okay. The reason mine made this ticking noise was because of rust on the disk. I replaced the disk and pads all round and the problem ceased!

roger

After 6 years, this has been the first and a bad one for rattles and vibration noises - most of which are still there.   s:( :( s:(  

Sorry to p*ss on your post Carl, but when looking for rattles in the over the right shoulder area where most of them seem to be I found down by the drain hole (on both sides) a strip of cloth attached to roof  with a press stud and connector on the ends (about 4" apart). Obviously meant to go round something but cannot for the life of me find out what. Very limited space, and difficult when you have to hold the roof half up. Has anybody any idea, wondering if what it should be holding is one of the vibration noises.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Treboeth

Roger is`nt that the connector for the soft top strap to stop the ear effect?

roger

Quote from: "Treboeth"Roger is`nt that the connector for the soft top strap to stop the ear effect?

No definitely not. A lot lower in the mechanism than that. My ears are perfect   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

carl_evs

Well it seems the noise is mostly only when I have the throttle down, if i am coasting (i know, I know before some of you start!!) it seems to disappear. My first thought was something wheel/brake related, have had a little look at what I can but in the middle of the pub car park in the rain really isn't the right place for such actions!!! Nothing seems loose but then I know I do have an issue with the warped discs - it is on my need to do list - just trying to get the money together!!!

I do realise that could be whats causing it but the noise only started in the last few days whereas I know the discs have been warped for a little while now.A thorough search will reveal all I hope!!

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

roger

My noise is the opposite! Happens when you take your foot off. Obviously a noise for all seasons   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

carl_evs

Had a good look round with the wheel on and off on my day off - everything was nice and tight as should be - caliper, shocks, ARB, droplinks et al. All the heat shields were nice and tight also. Couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I can only hear it when I have the throttle open as well - really does sound like it is coming from the rear drivers wheel area ( I know these can be hard to diagnose!!). It only seems to happen though when the throttle is open. This is what has me stumped as if it was brake or wheek related surely it would happen all the time and not just with a bit of right foot. The rattle does seem to increase with speed as well. Damn you!!!!

Tags: