I need some help on what to buy o2 sensors etc

Started by rabscott2003, October 3, 2010, 12:00

rabscott2003

I just had my MRS 2000 roadster a few months and the engine blew. I got a replacement from Dewsbury Auto Breakers. They put in a 2006 23000miles mr2 engine. The engine light is still on they checked the system computer with OBS2 and another laptop one specially for imports and there are no faults. I do think the o2 sensors need changed and there is a small hole in the cat. Remembering that there are only 2 o2 sensors on mine as its an import.
The throttle control is very lame andnot great on acceleration. I plan to buy a stainless steel exhuast system and new o2 sensors.

Could anyone recommend the best ones to get for my situation, does it matter which o2 sensor i buy orcan any do?

Thanks i await your responses.

Rab

Anonymous

So no new cat put on then?

Wabbitkilla

Engine light is on, but no fault codes?
Unlikely ... it'll be worth doing the paperclip trick mentioned elsewhere on the forum and see what codes YOU can find.

If the original manifold, cat, and exhaust were reconnected then chances are the precats may have collapsed and blocked the main cat.
Which will result in another blown engine if you don't sort it pronto.

How a company can push you out the door with an engine light on and struggling engine after taking your money off you for fitting the new engine is beyond me. That's just crap.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

rabscott2003

they cleaned the cats they said engine oil after 230miles is clean and engine is running smooth just the air intake affects the throttle. I need a full exhaust system right from manifold and new o2 sensors remember i only have 2 sensors not 4 which is on uk models tried the OBD2 readers import laptop readers and the paper clip but no response,.

Anonymous

They 'cleaned the cats'? For a start you only have one and they can't have cleaned it if you know it has a hole in it, I'll assume that the pre-cats have been removed from the manifold and there are only three O2 sensors in a UK car, not 4.

There's loads of threads on here which tell you exactly which O2 sensors to order, have a search for one.

rabscott2003

There is a double cat from the manifold going to the silencer and one side has a fraid steel weave theres no holes just old, i only have 2 o2 sensors attahced on the heat shield.

Anonymous

That's not a double cat, they're the pre-cats. Trust me on this.  s;) ;) s;)

One side of that has material in and the other one doesn't, you say?

Anonymous

Peter Wright

From your posts you obviously don't know what your talking about
If you could put a location in your signature I am sure someone would help you
I have spare cats, sensors, manifolds etc, but seeing as I don't know where you are I don't see how I can help you   s:? :? s:?
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

rabscott2003

This is what i have i think, and the right side of the mesh cat is a bit old. can you get these in stainless steel with a exhaust system, Or does the stainless steel system go striaght from the manifold on the engine without any cats?

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-1-8-03 ... 1e5938cb86 m

Anonymous

What on earth are you on about? Go and read the pre-cat Sticky so you know what each part is called, then come back here and try again.

Anonymous

[Mod]Copyright image removed[/Mod]

rabscott2003

yes part 62 the pre cat and main cat is old, dont know how old but i want to replace the full exhaust from engine manifold including the cats, i wonder if you can get a stainless steel cat system to go with the stainless exhaust?

Anonymous

Replace the main cat, it is blocked with oil and precat debris from your old engine. Your new engine will be fubared shortly if you don't.

Your garage is simply clueless.

rabscott2003

It was Dewsbury Autosalavage and they swap engines and gear boxes every day they said they cleaned them out before fitting the new engine.

Anonymous

Yeah, okay. Because laggy throttle response isn't indicative of a blocked cat at all, and they're clearly so good that they leave your car with CELs...

Anonymous

Ah, in that case then you can continue to drive the car, as is, in full confidence.
Perhaps you should call your expert garage and book in for a new engine again in the near future, gives them time to source one.

mrzwei

With regard to your original question, I think you have a couple of options depending upon your budget.

1. Buy a Che type stainless manifold and a new or good second hand main cat and two  02 sensors (the Toyota ones are expensive but a search will show that others have used generic type ones which are much cheaper). Also a new or second hand rear exhaust section. (Apart from the manifold, the stock exhaust is stainless anyway).
This should resolve any issues with debris from the original engine failure.

2. The more expensive solution is to get someone to fit a bespoke system from scratch and to include the two new 02 sensors.

As already stated, you need to do this sooner rather than later to avoid further engine failure.

The throttle response problem is probably related but may be something as simple as a dirty MAF.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

rabscott2003

Quote from: "mrzwei"With regard to your original question, I think you have a couple of options depending upon your budget.

1. Buy a Che type stainless manifold and a new or good second hand main cat and two  02 sensors (the Toyota ones are expensive but a search will show that others have used generic type ones which are much cheaper). Also a new or second hand rear exhaust section. (Apart from the manifold, the stock exhaust is stainless anyway).
This should resolve any issues with debris from the original engine failure.

2. The more expensive solution is to get someone to fit a bespoke system from scratch and to include the two new 02 sensors.

As already stated, you need to do this sooner rather than later to avoid further engine failure.

The throttle response problem is probably related but may be something as simple as a dirty MAF.

Thanks my budget is £600 which would you go for?

mrzwei

Unless you are looking for increased performance then option one is a no brainer. The Che manifolds are cheap on ebay, as probably are the generic sensors (but CHECK first that they will work with the roadster). I don't know the costs for the other stuff but it may be worth putting a post in the wanted section on here for a stock exhaust system as loads of people have upgraded theirs through time.
I doubt that you would get a new, bespoke system for 600 squids.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

rabscott2003

how about this?

m http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT m                          this is the Manifold

m http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT m                          this is the cats

m http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT m                          this is the o2 sensors

m http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-FLAME-CAT-BACK ... 483bc45007 m                                                                                                                                               this is the back box

What do you think?

Anonymous

Get toyota gaskets for the manifold, do not use the ones supplied, oh and he is talking bumkum claiming a min gain of 10bhp.
Pretty sure someone on here would sell you a stock exhaust for pennies if you are on a budget.

rabscott2003

I fogot to mention i stopped the car which i heard the knocking in the old engine it never blew up so there shouldnt have been any dirty from the old one.

Wabbitkilla

If you want a standard backbox (it doesn't have the tail trim but you can get something from Halfrauds to fit) I have one and am heading up to Carlisle next weekend.

To be clear with you, your backbox will likely be ok.
Your main catalyst sounds like it's blocked so you need a new one.
And you need a replacement manifold (Che is the best cheapest).
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

rabscott2003

I looked at my Back box it looks ok and not rusted. But the pipes from that to the tail are a bit bad, i looked at the cats and they look ok apart from a bit wear on the pre cat weave. I think i might put it on a lift and double check everything. If my back box is ok i will look for other parts to fit round this. I will also check if any of my system is stainless as some might be stainless steel stock.

Tags: