Gutting Precats or New Manifold

Started by Anonymous, March 18, 2004, 20:47

Anonymous

Just a quick one, is the extra power from a performance 4-2-1 manifold worth paying the extra for or is there really little difference between that and simply gutting the precats for free. Note: I don't want to include 4-1 designs such as Team Moon since I don't want to be shifting all the gains to the top end. What do ya reckon?  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tem

I don't think Team Moon makes manifolds at all...you must mean PPE...?

Also, I don't think anyone else knows if it's worth it to you  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Soz, I meant PPE but I'm actually asking for the opinions of others and thus assumed that any views expressed would be whether or not it would be worth buying a replacement manifold or gutting the pre cats in the eyes of whoever replied, otherwise I could just ask myself and save myself the time taken to type this out.

Tem

Anonymous

Cheers TEM,

Soz for the aggressive response but I'd just been surfing SC.....  s8) 8) s8)  .

Sounds good though, I was just looking at the Top Secret yesterday seems a bit pricey though so a similar item at a lower price would be cool. Just hope the Pre cats don't give up in the mean time as has happened with Mike's 2m Mines an 03 too but it seems that ain't any sort of guarantee against engine failure unfortunately.

Anonymous

how much are they likely to be? i think it would look really sexy in chrome   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "RUSTY"Note: I don't want to include 4-1 designs such as Team Moon since I don't want to be shifting all the gains to the top end.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Why not PPE header? what you assert is a metropolitan legend. See my dyno torque with PPE/high flow cat:

http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/ToyotaDyno.gif

MRMike

Quote from: "RUSTY"Cheers TEM,

Just hope the Pre cats don't give up in the mean time as has happened with Mike's 2m Mines an 03 too but it seems that ain't any sort of guarantee against engine failure unfortunately.

Rusty I know it seems bad but my car was most probably an exception.  I haven't heard of any other 03's touch wood! Plus mine cracked..it didn't fragment like others (though I have no doubt it would have given time).  I was gutted when I found out about it, and seriously considered selling it.  However these things happen, and you have to forget them.  I get to drive mine tomorrow when I get back home, and i can't wait haven't seen it for 2 weeks.  Plus if you fit a header your warranty will almost certainly be void won't it? If you want one for performance and your willing to forego the warranty then great get one..but if your getting one to pre-empt the pre cats failing IMO its not worth ruining your warrany for.

Admittedly as soon as my waranty expires the pre cats will be going to the great junkyard in the sky!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Quote from: "RUSTY"Soz for the aggressive response but I'd just been surfing SC.....  s8) 8) s8)

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  That's understandable  s8) 8) s8)

I wouldn't worry about the precats, chances of them going within next two months is next to 0. Of course it can happen, but...

Anonymous

that's very reasonable. so does this get rid of both the pre-cats and the maion cat? and will this solve the bad cat problem?

Anonymous

TEM, at about £300 I'd definitley be interested in the manifold especially if it's similar to the Top Secret. Tell us "whoever" it is that's going to be selling them to let us know when it's available! I'd like to put my name down for one.  s:D :D s:D

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"so does this get rid of both the pre-cats and the maion cat? and will this solve the bad cat problem?

It's just a manifold, so it only gets rid of the precats (both of them).

It connects to the stock cat pipe, so it's up to you if you want to keep that or replace it  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "RUSTY"Just a quick one, is the extra power from a performance 4-2-1 manifold worth paying the extra for or is there really little difference between that and simply gutting the precats for free. Note: I don't want to include 4-1 designs such as Team Moon since I don't want to be shifting all the gains to the top end. What do ya reckon?  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Do you know that that  manifold is to throw away if you mount a turbo?    s:( :( s:(

Tem

Quote from: "pp"Do you know that that  manifold is to throw away if you mount a turbo?

I bet it's easy to sell the manifold, if one decides to go turbo  s8) 8) s8)

Jap GT300

I deceided to de cat the 1zz manifold last night i'm using with the 2zz flanges welded to it for my install.

It is such an easy job, took about 15 minutes with a screwdriver and hammer.  What are the pre cats made out of?  China?

There is no pre cat residue left in the manifold as it surrounded by some sort of cotton.  The pre cat chunks come out whole.

Anonymous

Yeah, precats are usually ceramic. High performance ones tend to be metal. I'm waiting to see what TEM's manifold is like - I'm thinking that I'll probably go down the performance manifold route rather than gut the cats - resonance tuning and all that.

Tem

Quote from: "RUSTY"I'm waiting to see what TEM's manifold is like

Just for the record...I have nothing to do with it...it's someone elses project  s8) 8) s8)

markiii

and I think I klnow who's  :-) :-) :-)

sworn to secrecy though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: