Exhaust woes... please help!

Started by Andy_Foz, October 5, 2010, 12:53

Andy_Foz

Hi all,

Took my car to a garage today for two reasons.. to cut the (standard) exhaust and reweld it an inch to the left to accomodate my rear bumper apron and secondly to investigate and fix what sounded like a loose manifold (ie a VW Beetle!!!).

Just went to see how they were getting on (as they hadnt called me   s:? :? s:?  ) to be told it would cost £400 to fix as i needed a new cat due to there being a split in it.

Thinking i might as well get a stainless steel exhaust whilst im here, but Im guessing I need a cat rather than a decat (which im guessing would have been cheaper) for MOTs. My car's precats have already been gutted. Where is the cheapest place to get a cat?

thanks guys
Andy

roger

The standard exhaust is stainless   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Buying a cat secondhand from an unknown always has a risk to it, since you don't know what condition its in, and whether it is blocked. maybe somebody on here has one which they replaced for a sport cat or similar.

As to buying new, try CTP
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Ilogik

you could always cut the cat out  and weld in a straight through pipe like I did with my 2zz build.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Andy_Foz

How much did that cost for someone to do, mate? Any MOT issues??

Andy

kentsmudger

Quote from: "Ilogik"you could always cut the cat out  and weld in a straight through pipe like I did with my 2zz build.
Does that still pass emissions test on MOT?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Ilogik

ill borrow a cat when MOT time comes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  My cars CO2 rating is well high  anyways, think its down on the log books as 225  so im pretty sure it will pass without it.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

michaelasaunders

Hi,

I needed a new cat converter 2 months ago, for my 2000 reg. Cats2u gave the best price I could find for a new one
(£170 not including VAT)

m http://cats2u.co.uk/product_info.php?cP ... s_id=32032 m

Its been working fine so far.

Mike
Fiat Stilo 1.9TD 53 plate - 3 door - red
Ex-MR2 - X reg, Blue, Hard Top

Andy_Foz

Thanks, Mike. Brad has sorted me out luckily with his old one so ive got one to go on now!

Got one bolt of the three that attached the cat to the manifold out with no probs, one has sheered off altogether, one loosened a couple of turns and then completely burred off on itself so im completely stuck now with one bolt holding it on that I just cant budge for the life of me.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   Ive tried heat, ive tried a smaller socket piece, but thats too small to go on. Really dont know what to do now. The two springed bolts came out with no bother.

Its such a small area, that i cant get anything other than a socket on it. Any advice, guys?! Guess I will have to drive it to a garage with my tail between my legs...

Andy

gavw71

Looks like you've become acquainted with the three amiogos. I bought some of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-Expansion/dp/B000QW6K8Ia while ago from ebay, worked ok on some cap head screws that didn't want to come out of the brake cylinder on a Saxo, not sure if they would help you though. Seem to remember using an extended socket when I removed the manifold/cat bolts, so not sure if the Irwins will do the job.
17" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2\'s, TTE lowering springs, front & rear strut top braces, Markiii inlet pipe, K&N panel filter, CHE header, Magnex dual exit exhaust, Dastek Unichip, re-map by Noble Motorsport.

carl_evs

I've done the 3 amigos 4 times on 3 different cars, one time i ended up having to dremel and another with angle grinder - they are fun litle creatures that like to cause your hands to bleed and your swear vocabulary to increase!!!  

If you get yourself to a decent hardware?tool shopthey may be able to help you out with something to get them off - I have a socket set that digs into the nut to help bring it off - you will be looking for something similar!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

Andy_Foz

Got there eventually! Although i do need to replace the nuts as they ar so buggered i cant do them up tight enough really to get a good seal.

Does anyone know what size the nuts are or are they a Toyota-specific thread size?

Andy

Tags: