rusty brakes

Started by Anonymous, March 19, 2004, 22:16

Anonymous

cartell pointed this out to me the other day

the vents in the discs on my 2 are heavily rusted. is this a common fault and will toyota do anything about it.

could this be the root cause of the bubbling wheels i.e hot rust sitting on the wheels.

markiii

yes, and yes.

if you push them they will guive you new discs.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

had mine changed twice in 2 months for this exact same problem.

Anonymous

right so thats something else to add to the list

wheels
brakes
tracking
window
door panels
stereo
roof rattle
etc.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Slacey

Mine have gone bad again, and are grooved due to them not changing the pads last time - guess where I have on my schedule for tomorrow morning!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Update... dealer (William A Lewis) again agreed to replace all four discs without even seeing the car - now that's how a dealer should be IMO. Top stuff.

Anonymous

where's this unbelievable dealer. it might be worth the journey

me and MR2Blue are going in to our local dealer together so we can bully them into submission

Anonymous

Quote from: "adz648"the vents in the discs on my 2 are heavily rusted. is this a common fault and will toyota do anything about it.

could this be the root cause of the bubbling wheels i.e hot rust sitting on the wheels.

The rust - I am sure that others will feel free to disagree  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   and this really is meant to be helpful (but I kind of expect to be shot down).  Anyway, discs are made from ?cast iron.  They are not protected from rust, nor are they, to my knowledge, on any other car.  They will threfore rust, apart from where they are in contact with the pads.  I await enlightenment, but why would Toyota replace them?

The wheels - there might be a link if others' corrosion is different from mine, but my wheels have just begun to bubble where the spokes meet the centre of the wheel, the part nearest the disc.  I reckon the laquer simply cannot stand the heat generated by the discs.

Anonymous

vauxhalls dip there disks in a thin layer of rust preventative (zinc i think but don't quote me on that) although this is scrubbed off the braking surface when they are used. this is not a problem on this face as these are continually polished

Slacey

Yes, the discs are iron, the reason they are being replaced is not the edges of the vents, but the hub section, which is treated... badly though, obviously.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"Yes, the discs are iron, the reason they are being replaced is not the edges of the vents, but the hub section, which is treated... badly though, obviously.

That makes sense and that was my understanding of why you and others have had discs replaced.  ADZ specifically mentioned rust in the vents of his discs, for which I  would be very surprised if Toyota were interested in replacing discs.

Anonymous

sorry about that i should have decribed every bit of the fault   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

generally if the brakes are treated, they should be treated in both the vents and the hub sections as these will both cause significant problems

Slacey

Oh, and my wonderful dealer is in Shrewsbury... William A Lewis.

Anonymous

cheers i will give them a call if Johnson's aren't interested. it might be worth the extra journey time

Anonymous

Ok guys my 2 is now out of it 3 year warranty although i  didnt bring it up when i had the car checked over when the run out date came around although they did put 2 new road wheels on for me, my brake discs are all
 rusty. But would they still be coverd under the anti corrosion warranty or am i pushing my luck   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Slacey

I think you would be extremely luck to get anything on them under the anti-corrosion warranty as I'm sure it only covers the bodywork and chassis, but it might be worth trying your luck....

MR2Blue

Quote from: "adz648"me and MR2Blue are going in to our local dealer together so we can bully them into submission

Well, we went to our local MrT and it worked, we both got our discs and wheels changed today, I got stung for new brake fluid though, £45, apparently Toyota recommend that it's changed every 2 years.

Still when fitting my new wheels they also fitted my new Eagle F1's too, so saved on the fitting cost for the tyres.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

StephenBennett

Is there a photo somewhere of the rusty bits? My discs obviously rust when wet and clear when driven. However, there's a ring of rust on the edge and around the hub that looks horrible.

Also, any pictures anywhere of the wheel bubbling so I know what to look for?

Regards

Stephen

darrenjuggins

Hi Stephen,

I will post BOTH this evening.

I am getting the disc's replaced under the "extended" 2 year warranty (hooray!) all 4, just have to pay for the pads, not a bad deal I guess.

Plus my wheels are only a year old (just over doh!) and they are being refurbished next week (at insurance companies expense) so I will post both up a little later for you.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: