Speed Computer

Started by Anonymous, March 20, 2004, 12:27

Anonymous

What do you lot use to measure your acceleration times and other times

a stop watch isn't the easiest thing to start and stop whilst driving  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

G-Tech is the best option - does it all for you automaticly.

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D  what where when and how much

Anonymous

search for gtech or g-tech using the forum search... its been covered before.

Anonymous

sorry tried that after i posted the message  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Slacey

Also see here....

m http://www.gtechpro.com/ m
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

GADGET!!!!

Not bad for £136 at current exchange rate!

Anonymous

is the normal pro worth it or should i save up for the better one

MRMike

The Competition is excellent, well worth the extra tried to organise a GB on one a few weeks ago! where were you!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  The shift lights for revs, cornering G's are excellent.

A few points to take note:-

You can't purchase directly from Tesla at the moment so you'l have to buy it from  w www.funkyproduct.co.uk w  speak to chris. It costs £230, which I thought was a bit steep given like CS said based on excahnge rates they should be had for £130 odd.  However with import tax, shipping etc it wouldn't have been much away from the £230 Chris is asking at Funky product

There is no AC adaptor, it comes with a US style pin so you'll have to by an adaptor. This is of no real consequence if you either dont intend to download runs, or you're using a lap top in the car to download.

At the moment there is no 'road racer' option for monitoring torque, power etc on the fly.  You have to physically stop, do a run then analyse.  The roadracer software though is about to be released i hear

Let me know if you want any pics or other help etc.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

ive seen these and wondered if they are worth it

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... gory=43120 m

Tem

Quote from: "adz648"ive seen these and wondered if they are worth it

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... gory=43120 m

Be careful. Friend of mine got one of those cheap from US eBay for $49 and it doesn't seem to be too accurate  s:? :? s:?  There are rumours that those have faulty G-sensors, but they are just rumours. But at least that one has something weird in it...the times it gives for 0-100kmh are off by more than a second, when compared against other G-Techs...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Yep - not as flash as the Competition, but logs most of the stuff the Comp does. Good price too, if it stays that low.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

MRMike

Yep like Sean says if you only need to see the raw figures then yeah it's a good unit.  The only problem with it AFAIK is that it only has one accelerometer, as opposed to the three thats in the Comp.  This means the unit has to be positioned flat, whereas the comp you can have at any orientation. Also you lose the shift lights, and ability to upgrade the firmware.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

cheers mate

p.s. topic drift alert but i will hopefully be there on 25th slacey

might be able to see some g-techs in action then if i havent bought one by then

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"A few points to take note:-

You can't purchase directly from Tesla at the moment so you'l have to buy it from  w www.funkyproduct.co.uk w  speak to chris. It costs £230, which I thought was a bit steep given like CS said based on excahnge rates they should be had for £130 odd.  However with import tax, shipping etc it wouldn't have been much away from the £230 Chris is asking at Funky product

There is no AC adaptor, it comes with a US style pin so you'll have to by an adaptor. This is of no real consewuence if you either dont intend to download runs, or you're using a lap top in the car to download.

Is this that they wont ship to UK, or simply because of your notes?

If they ship USPS, then you will probably escape any duty, if the fedex, you are looking at £18 customs charge.  As for the US Pin, well £3.99 will get you a convertor of the Powersupply is multi-switching, if not, then a £15 US power convertor will do the trick.

So maximum price would still only be around £160ish.  I have the power adaptor already, so hopefully they will ship to UK and even better if they will us US Postal Service.

MRMike

Quote from: "cstevens"Is this that they wont ship to UK, or simply because of your notes?

If they ship USPS, then you will probably escape any duty, if the fedex, you are looking at £18 customs charge.  As for the US Pin, well £3.99 will get you a convertor of the Powersupply is multi-switching, if not, then a £15 US power convertor will do the trick.

So maximum price would still only be around £160ish.  I have the power adaptor already, so hopefully they will ship to UK and even better if they will us US Postal Service.

At the moment Tesla will not ship outside the US.  Although I believe this is changing.  So for the immediate future you will have to purchase from an independent in the USA.  Most of these I spoke to have old units, with old firmware.  The newest firmware is 3.0.2.  the shipping charges most were asking was $65

As for the adaptor you have to be really careful, its not so much the pin itself, rather the current and polarity have to be the same.  There are a number of people that have plugged them in on the UK mains only for it to never come on again!

Also worth keeping in mind is that the GTECH is really sensitive to shock, and I thought the less distance it had to travel the better.  I know they were initially imported from the USA from funkysport, but at least If i had to send it back it would be a lot easier

So after all this I decided if I could get one in the UK, for £230 delivered, with the latest software, from a guy who comes highly rated it was worth it for peace of mind alone.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I expect to see a thorough right up then when you receive it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I have just checked  m http://www.gtechpro.com/ m  site, and they are in fact shipping to the UK, however they use UPS, so you will be looking at around £25-£30 customs charge (well about 10 + plus whatever UPS decide to charge as an admin fee!)

MRMike

I knew they were talking about starting to ship to the UK, so yeah that seems the best bet then, especially given its from the original manufacturer.  They are really good on aftersales support!

Craig I already have mine by the way! I've been rabbiting on about it for weeks, I thought people must have been getting bored of my graphs by now! Obviously there's scope for more..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

sorry to be ignorant but what graphs, do these things produce graphs or is it just the better model?

MRMike

The competition comes with software called PASS and a com port on the unit. It loggs RPM's, G's torque vs G's, speed, etc etc. There is also a database of others users results so you can compare your cars to theirs.  An example of one of the graphs is in this thread..

m http://www.mr2roc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... hlight=911 m

The normal GTECH cannot produce these graphs

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

just got my gtech pro comp from funkyproducts   s:) :) s:)   and installuingthis weekend. Anyone know the initial base weight of the 'two' ?

Tem

Quote from: "perry190"just got my gtech pro comp from funkyproducts   s:) :) s:)   and installuingthis weekend. Anyone know the initial base weight of the 'two' ?

You really should weight it...100lbs error is 5%...and 5% error in hp is huge.

Also, don't forget to add your weight to it, if you're driving  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

thats why I want the base weight to start of with

Tem

Quote from: "perry190"thats why I want the base weight to start of with

Your guess is as good as anyone elses  s;) ;) s;)

The fuel gauge isn't that accurate, so someones 1/4 tank might be your 1/8 tank. Sounds systems can make a big difference. A new set of tyres can change a lot, even if you had the stock wheels. And so on...it just won't be right  s:? :? s:?

FWIW, mine was 939kg, after removing the spare wheel and tools and after installing a 4x110W amp, Infinity Perfect 6.1 speakers, JVC SH99 headunit (+appropriate wires), dynamatted doors, antiflex plate and Sportivo with both tower braces and member brace set. Oh and a Cobra alarm.

The fuel tank was close to empty, the windshield wiper container was full. My stock tyres were the Yokos, which were pretty worn at that time. I have a set of floormats, but no AC.

(939kg is 2070lbs)

Anonymous

very nice, but what I asked for was the base weight to start off as a start pooint for making my own realistic calculations. (Which wont include an allowance for if I have recently flicked the ash off my ciggy or not!)

So in case any body else asks a similar question to set up there GTech and whats an answer

the base weight for a manual is 1225kg (2701 lb) or for an SMT  1235kg (2723 lb)

Tags: