MOT fail - leaking strut / shock absorber

Started by 1000 PR, November 10, 2010, 12:15

1000 PR

Just had bad news to say for the that my '01 Roadster  has failed it's MOT for the first time beacuse the nearside rear shock absorber is leaking badly. They couldn't get a replacement strut until tomorrow so I have picked the car up to enable me to get home. Just had a look and it is definately wet so my options are:

a/.Clean up oil off strut and take somewhere else for a MOT - but with no guarantee it won't fail again on the same or a different part. Total costs £90 if lucky!
b/.Buy a 2nd hand strut for £60 (ebay-GTS Chris) and fix myself but don't have a garage so not so good at this time of year.
c/. Let the garage do the work -they have quoted £148 fitted and have recommended I have both rears done.

Back end still feels stiff (no bounce) but I am assuming new rear shocks will improve the handling.

The car has done 102,000 miles but is this normal? (Do garages ever spray oil on shocks as a money spinner?)

frogger

It's completely feasible that a shock could be knackered by 102,000 miles, many haven't lasted as long.
Obviously can't comment on whether or not your one is really shot - only monitoring oil leakage after cleaning up or removing and testing will tell you that (neither is a particularly speedy diagnosis method!)

Doesn't sound like a great money spinner - Unless they are completely strapped for work and the garage is deserted of customers then I don't see it being very likely that they would fail it wrongly and charge just £148 for replacement of both the rear struts - a pretty reasonable price including labour.

I'd get them to do it, if they get it done quick sharp they should treat you to a free retest. (IIRC its 1 day for a free retest if you take the car off site, 10 days or something similar if you leave it at the garage - but someone may be along soon to correct me on that!).

Not only will new struts give better handling if one or more are shot, but without replacement it will be making the car more dangerous to drive generally (hence it being an MOT requirement) as by definition your tyres are spending less time in contact with the ground - leading to worse traction and braking performance.

normanh

Please Please consider the safety implications in not replacing the shock, its yours and others lives at stake which is why its included in the test. Shocks should only be replaced in axle pairs and some might argue replace them all. New mounts might also be required. So never scrimp on them please.

norman

Anonymous

Quote from: "normanh"Please Please consider the safety implications in not replacing the shock, its yours and others lives at stake which is why its included in the test. Shocks should only be replaced in axle pairs and some might argue replace them all. New mounts might also be required. So never scrimp on them please.

norman

+1

One of my Alfa Spiders went from slight leak to deathtrap in a matter of days, hit a big bump halfway round a corner and you will end up in a hedge. Might be worth looking at a suspension kit at this stage; if one has gone the others will not be far behind.

1000 PR

Ok thanks for the advice guys - my roadster will hopefully drive better and be safer as a result!

It was very cynical of me sorry to suggest any conniving!

I guess as the shocks wear over time it's easy not to notice the difference in handling. I recall driving a friends MX5 last year and couldn't believe they hadn't noticed the shocks had completely gone - it was like driving a boat!

K T M Rider

Quote from: "1000 PR"c/. Let the garage do the work -they have quoted £148 fitted and have recommended I have both rears done.

(Do garages ever spray oil on shocks as a money spinner?)

Nice to know I'm not the only cynic on here who tries to do everything on the cheap   s:) :) s:)  

What you have said has confused me a little Is the garage quote to fit one shock or two (as in they quoted for 1 but recommend 2)? If that is for 2 new rears fitted, then as frogger has said that looks a very good price.

New rear shocks on ebay about  £60 each delivered:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shock-Absorber-RE ... 2444wt_700 m
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Tags: