windscreen washers not working. help??

Started by Anonymous, November 28, 2010, 16:04

Anonymous

hi all just realised today that my windscreen washers are not working  s:( :( s:(   the wipers are fine but no screen wash. i have checkd the fuse and thats fine. also when i pull back the stalk to use washers i cant here no noise. any ideas? also does this sound easy or dificalt to sort and will be expensive ? cheers

Treboeth

Maybe frozen in the pipes?

Worth checking this time of year.

roger

Stupid question, but you didn't mention it, there is fluid in the container?

And of course the wash motor which is below the container. Never had reason to go down there, but if you can't get the container out easily might be a front end off job. Putting 12v across the termianls will show whether the motor is u/s or not.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

lol yes mate i filled it up this morning thinking it was empty but no joy  s:( :( s:(   nothings ever that simple for me! lol  was wundering if maybe frozen in the pipes but how can i check this any ideas?  s:? :? s:?

nathanMR2

It will be frozen mate. Poor some hot water in and try it. Once its clear get some proper screen wash
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

roger

The pipes run along the back of the front hood to the jets, pinching them might show if they are solid.. It should be easy to disconnect them  (though I've never tried) if its not obvious from the pinch test and you might see/feel the ice. The other point of course is the washer jets. Maybe they are blocked, with ice or whatever.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

JudoKilli

When you pull the stalk do the wipers move?

skinz

Most likely frozen, be carefull testing this out as you may burn out the pump if you hold down for too long - happened to a mate of mine last yr up north. Think best option is to mix stronger fluid to prevent freezing - only prob is with the engine at the back the front end isnt heating up which would subsequently ease off the frozen-ness.

May be able to disconnect pipes, fire them in hot water, then fit them back on and run the stronger mix through so itll be less likely to freeze

frogger

Get your arm out the window, armed with a bottle of water with a squirty top   s8) 8) s8)  
Don't leave the bottle in the car though, that'll have freezed by morning too!

normanh

Almost certainly frozen, mine were ok in Essex on Saturday morning but frozen solid in Notts yesterday and took a good hours worth of driving down the M1 to thaw out. How much screenwash fluid do you use? You need a fairly high concentration in the cold wether to prevent freezing up!

norman

benji89

Mine have been frozen for the last week or so.
I had to pull over to clean my window last week with the amount of salt on the road.
would just concentrated screenwash be ok? Or would that freeze up too?

Ben
2000 Black, ProSpeed Sports Cat

skinz

higher concentration will be less likely to freeze - but goin fully undiluted can damage rubbers?paint? - think its one of them

benji89

Cheers skinz,
Im going to have a trial and error session soon then.
2000 Black, ProSpeed Sports Cat

Anonymous

hi all thanks for all the advise. well i can confurm it was just frozen sumwere  s:D :D s:D   i drained sum out using a pump and put boiling water in. after a few mins it was working again!   s:D :D s:D  although it did freeze up again over night but came back shortly after so i have now put more screen wash in with built in antifreeze! i dare say it may freeze again with this weather but atleast i knw now its no actual fault and wont cost for a repair. thanks again guys

Tags: