Cost of fixing panel damage?

Started by Anonymous, March 22, 2004, 22:38

Anonymous

My housemate managed to drive into the side of my car this morning, leaving a sizeable (6 inch losng or so) dent in the curve under the right hand side vent.

This leaves me with a little dilemma with regards to how I get the damage fixed. If it was an insurance job I would probably push for the panel being replaced, but as my housemate is footing the bill obviously the cheaper it is, the better for him.

The dent isn't deep, and there's no creasing but it is on the curve so this may present some issues to a panel beater (not seen the damage in proper light, but I can feel it).

Any advice of which route I should go? Is it better to replace the panel through Toyoto, or get an independent bodyshop to fix it?
Does the additional cost of a new panel justify any advantages it has over getting the dent removed?

Views appreciated...

Chris

Anonymous

if it can be pulled out then probably about £100. if not like mine you are looking at over £1000 to have it fixed.
thank god i had protected no claims when so t@#t hit me and drove off.

Anonymous

Is the damage in the actual curve & therefore in the contours? If so then I have my suspicions if the shape can be restored perfectly.

I had a few parking dings in my last car & got a mobile company "Dentmaster" or something like that & he could fix the ordinary panels but not the one dent that was under the door by the sills, as it was on a curve. I hope that this isn't the case for you  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

These panels seem to be a particular favourite to get hit; my old Roadster had both hit and replaced (two seperate occasions!), each time costing >£1000   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .

Anonymous

With the cost >£1000 it sounds like I'll be heading to the bodyshop to see what they can do.

Hopefully the dent can be pull out easily enough. The location of the dent is actually on the ridge that runs around and under the side air intake/vent (not the sill/curve under the door).

I'll post photo's later if I can.

There's also two lines from where his bumper has damaged the paintwork (it looks scuffed). Would this need a respray? Could the likes of dentmaster do that?

Basically I don't want to screw my housemates insurance, but I also want it to be fixed properly...

Chris

Tags: