About to change my plugs...

Started by weddallenko, December 7, 2010, 23:59

weddallenko

Hi guys,

My MR-S has done about 60K and I'm planning on replacing the spark plugs, simple enough job.
Out of interest, what can I expect them to look like - the engine is a '00 1ZZ, mileage just over 60K as mentioned. Service book suggests the original plugs are still in...
Pre-cats we're intact when I checked, replaced the manifold the same day.
Oil consumption was a little high at one point, no where near 1L/1000 miles though. Seems fine now.

I guess oily, fouled up plugs will point towards leaky piston rings and/or oval-bore syndrome... How severe would they look like if that was the case?
I am expecting mine to be fine, but would like to hear from any members who have experienced this...

Cheers
"One Lady Owner" - So the Clutch is f*cked then...

K T M Rider

My car drinks a litre every 500 miles and the spark plugs looked absolutely fine when I removed them, as documented (in the first 6 posts) here:

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30932 l .

Any car that is heavily fouling its plugs is not going to run very well, so if your car idles smoothly and pulls cleanly and strongly through the rev range expect clean plugs (but with a largish gap if they've been in for 60k).

Even at 500 miles a litre oil consumption you've got about 60 times as much fuel passing through the engine to wash off the oil.  s8) 8) s8)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Cap

Here is what mine looked like at 140 K Miles..  There still in at 175 K Miles..  I did have to gap them...

And these were my Compression Numbers.  

First and second row is at 100 K, Third is at 140 K  ( PSI )

Cap

roger

Whilst you are looking for a nice light colour (for peace of mind), TBH after 60K and 10 years you could get anything.

I would suggest you put the new ones in, and if you have any doubts check them in a couple of months. That will give you a much better idea of the current situation.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Cap

Notice the Rust on the #1 Plug..  Don't be surprised if you have the Same..  

Clean out the Plug 'Pockett' BEFORE you pull the Plugs..  

Cap

normanh

I found a rusty plug No 1 as well seems to be common that in fact the engine was misfiring on No 1 which was diagnose by a Mr T as being a coilpack rather than water in the recess.

norman

Tags: