Anyone had check engine light come on from dirty MAF sensor?

Started by Anonymous, March 23, 2004, 12:11

Anonymous

I know a few people have been cleaning the MAF sensor to improve (or regain) performance, but wondered if anyone has had the CEL come on from this, and how it was resolved ??

A week after my engine was replaced my check engine light came on, dealer checked and code was P0172 (too rich), cleared error but re-occured as soon as engine was re-started.

I suggested they clean the MAF sensor and watched them do this, and error did not re-occur and has not (4 days later but mostly short journeys).

Wondered if anyone else has had anything similar?

James.

Slacey

Nope, but then I clean it regularly, although I have heard of some on Spyderchat who have had CEL's from the same thing as you.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Is the MAF the sensor plug that is plugged into part of the airbox? How do you go about cleaning it?

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"Is the MAF the sensor plug that is plugged into part of the airbox? How do you go about cleaning it?

m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Marc ... _clean.htm m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

is there anythhing else i can use to clean the sensor with as i dont have any carb cleaner   s:? :? s:?

markiii

better to go to halfords and get some. make sure it;'ssafe for use on plastic, MAFs as well.

the MAF isn't cheap if you damage it so I'd just use teh proper stuff to be on teh safe side.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Definately get the prpper stuff; I use a brand of carb cleaner called Wynn's, it's available from Halfords (that's where I got it) and has been used to clean many a MAF with no problems.

Anonymous

i think i will give mine a clean over the weekend as ive never cleaned mine since ive had the car.
how for is it for a can of Wynns??

Slacey

Quote from: "keninski"how for is it for a can of Wynns??
Do you mean how much? Is so, around a fiver IIRC.

markiii

thats teh stuff
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Slacey"Definately get the prpper stuff; I use a brand of carb cleaner called Wynn's, it's available from Halfords (that's where I got it) and has been used to clean many a MAF with no problems.

Mine for one, thanks Sean.   s:) :) s:)  

It really does work well though..

Simon

Tags: