Activating the alarm with the key

Started by PeteT, December 17, 2010, 20:29

PeteT

Is there a way to activate the alarm and imboliser with the key?

For some reason my car will not lock or unlock with the standard remote only when at home. I need to test this further but it is a bit strange. Everywhere else seems fine.  s:? :? s:?
Pete

spit

Odd as it sounds, a neighbour's wireless doorbell can disable the '2s locking etc.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

PeteT

Thanks Ste, I'll check when I get home, I'll do a scan of wireless networks to see if there are any new ones. I live in an apartment block so no door bells as far as I know.

So our standard alarms can be disabled by door bells, great. Are our alarms thatcham approved?

What frequency causes us a problem?
Pete

E

Not just doorbells but almost anything that transmits a signal can interfere best candidate is the neigbours car, it doesnt disable the alarm, rather it just stops you from setting it, try holdeng your key close to the frunk when you press it and it should work.

kentsmudger

Also make sure all 4 door switches are making contact. My alarm would not set this morning because the passenger door was not quite closed due to ice.

Pics -  because I had them anyway!

Door switch X2

Frunk switch

Engine lid switch
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

PeteT

Quote from: "E"Not just doorbells but almost anything that transmits a signal can interfere best candidate is the neigbours car, it doesnt disable the alarm, rather it just stops you from setting it, try holdeng your key close to the frunk when you press it and it should work.

Thanks, Tried that, it didn't work. I tried on top of the bonnet and in front of the grill.

Quote from: "kentsmudger"Also make sure all 4 door switches are making contact. My alarm would not set this morning because the passenger door was not quite closed due to ice.

I can sit in my car and it wont work. Then drive 50metres away (without opening the doors) and i can lock it. When i return home, same again. It wont lock. There are no new cars in the car park and no new wireless networks  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I tried holding the key in the lock position with a hope this would enable the alarm, unfortunatly it didn't.
Pete

aaronjb

I'd imagine the key operates in the 433MHz range, well out of the way of wireless networks, but right in the way of a number of other things (like wireless doorbells, wireless room thermostats, probably various wireless baby monitors and so on)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

PeteT

Quote from: "aaronjb"I'd imagine the key operates in the 433MHz range, well out of the way of wireless networks, but right in the way of a number of other things (like wireless doorbells, wireless room thermostats, probably various wireless baby monitors and so on)

hmmm, i wonder if someone was just got one of those wiresless electricity monitors. I'll have a look in the electrical cupboard tomorrow.
Pete

Anonymous

New battery might help give your fob a stronger signal.

PeteT

Quote from: "life of bryan"New battery might help give your fob a stronger signal.

I tried my spare key and thats the same. I will try it though.
Pete

muffdan

I had the same problem with both my keys. Replacing their batteries sorted it.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Gif

Have this at my sister in laws place with all cars.  Never figured out what it is but it's a Bermuda Triangle for anything with a similar signal, remotes, reversing sensors everything just stops working.  Next door is a posh place with loads of security kit so think it's something their systems are putting out.  Unless of course it's one of those alien pods constructing underground   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

Anonymous

I had to change channels on my wireless router when i got my second roadster, if i set the car alarm the bb connection dropped.  s:? :? s:?

PeteT

Well, i arranged for a mate to come over to mine today in his roadster to try his remote here to see if he had the same problem. Low and behold my car unlocked via the remote and the locks again, as if nothing has ever happened. Sods law! So this is the fix, get someone else to come round and it will all work again  s:) :) s:)  .

Seriuosly though, there must be a transmitter somewhere round here that has thankfully stopped transmitting at the moment, lets see how long it lasts.
Pete

steve-m-uk

very bizarre problem this Pete, mine worked fine when i was there all day,wonder if someone in the nearby buildings was using some radio equipment when you had the issues eg cb radio or ham radio?  do you remember if your radio worked in the car? just wondering if the problem was affecting all radio frequencies or just the small spectrum that car fobs operate in.
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

tigracat

I had exactly the same problem, turned out that the next door neighbour had just fitted a new door bell...

Mike
02 mr2 in silver with ht, mags, quad exhaust, pioneer cd, dvd double din player, debadged and de pre catted, custom arm rest, Style bar, dev keyhole covers, K&N cone air filter.
Suzuki Bandit 1200 totally mirror polished show bike.
09 Mini cooper s.
2011 Mazda Miyako 2l

deadmau5

There was a news story recently about thieves using remote alarm blocking devices. People would just press the lock button, assume it was locked, then the thieves would help themselves to the contents of your car.

Mike_V

I've been having some problems with this myself but I noticed that if I am on the drivers side or at the front of the car and I press the open button, immediately followed by the lock button it seems to work.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

PeteT

The alarm has been behaving itself recently. But something bad has happened in the last week, 3-4 cars have been broken into, Coincidence?
Pete

Anonymous

Possibly not, be aware and vigilant.

Tags: