Burning Rubber

Started by dancarbon, July 2, 2003, 18:09

dancarbon

Hi guys

Can someone please give me the standard tyre sizes for a 2001 2 (I'm not in the car today), any links to cheap tyre vendors and recommended makes?

Cheers

DC
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

185/55 R15 V On the front
205/50 R15 V On the rear

I've not seen cheaper than http://www.mytyres.net.  But they are mail order (!!!), and you need to add a few quid for fitting.

Mines fitted with Bridgestone Potenza RE40, and they were supplied with the car, so I guess they're not that bad (they seem ok to me).  People here have mentioned good things also about Toyo and Yokohama tyres, but I've not tried them, so can't say.

Anonymous

Yoko's are pretty poor in the wet.. you get a lot of tail wagging... ive also heard good things about Toyo's and the Goodyear F1's (but i think they are quite expensive)

dancarbon

I'm not too worried about fitting costs - Mr T is replacing all my wheels next week so as they will be changing tyres anyway they can fit my new ones!   s:D :D s:D  

I got a price from Toyota today - £93 for a front, £97 for a rear - they didn't say what type but I would expect replacement Bridgestones.

Pricing up on MyTyres and I'll save a fair bit of cash:

Goodyear F1s - £64.60 Front, £72.60 for the rear!!

One question though - with the F1s the fronts are V-rated and the rears are W-rated, should this be a concern  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Cheers

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"I'm not too worried about fitting costs - Mr T is replacing all my wheels next week so as they will be changing tyres anyway they can fit my new ones!   s:D :D s:D  

I got a price from Toyota today - £93 for a front, £97 for a rear - they didn't say what type but I would expect replacement Bridgestones.

Pricing up on MyTyres and I'll save a fair bit of cash:

Goodyear F1s - £64.60 Front, £72.60 for the rear!!

One question though - with the F1s the fronts are V-rated and the rears are W-rated, should this be a concern  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Cheers

They will probably stick Yokos on there... that seems to be what they are using at the moment.

I dont think the speed rating will matter unless your planning to drive at 150mph!

Anonymous

A W rating is higher than a V rating, (V is, as I recall 150mph, W is 175mph).  So no need to worry at all.

Anonymous

Dan,

You're in Leeds yes?

Go to Motorsport Wheels (http://www.mswuk.com) on the Coal Road, Seacroft.  They are by far the cheapest in Leeds.

If you do a search you'll find loads of threads about which tyres to choose.  To cut a long story short I would very highly recommend Toyo Proxes T1-S.  They are great performers and far cheaper than the equivalent Goodyears et al.

I got my Toyo's from Motorsport Wheels for about £45 each fitted.

Enjoy!...

--H--

dancarbon

Brilliant Hardcore, round the corner from work too - I'll pop in on my way home.   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Be careful with Goodyear F1s, they have switched versions and I think the fronts come in the new (gsd3) version, the rears only in old (gsd2) version. The tread patterns are different, the new gsd3s have straight Vs, whereas the gsd2 have curves.

I have been waiting to get F1s nutil they do the rears in the new pattern, and as far as I know they are still not available as of this week !!!

I switched from the original RE40 to Bridgestone SO3s last change and in the wet they are just incredible, so much better than the RE40s its unreal. In the dry they are about the same, but on the limit the S03s fall off more gradually which is better.

S03s are only available in 195/50/15 for the fronts, which is fine, and there is no problem with running these with 205/50/15 rears.

James.

dancarbon

The Eagles on mytyres.net are both GSD-2 front and rear, but I will certainly look out for this, cheers James.

Tags: