Changing your Sparks!!

Started by Anonymous, March 24, 2004, 17:48

Anonymous

O.K. I phone Mr T today, all i wanted was a oil filter change and for Mr T to put in a new set of Sparkplugs (Champions!) to ensure optimum engine efficiency before I head up to Crail Raceway next month  s:D :D s:D  

Mr T says it would probably take more than an hour to do this (at £60/hour!) than asks me about what plus I want to put in.
I say "Champion, high perofrmance plugs" or somesuch. He says "how much were they" to which i reply I can't recall about £20?", Mr T says "Each right?"   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Apparently unless your perpared to put platinum headed plugs in your MR2 you are asking for trouble! He quotes £20 each!

Is this a wind up!? Will I get shot down in flames? What is your opinion? I havent even SEEN Sparkplus going for that much!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Do you think he was talking about the cabels? How often should you change your spark plugs anyways?

Anonymous

O.K im an idiot, I'm not sure whether I have Platimum or Iridium Plugs I just didnt know they were So expensive! My car is j-spec.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

DAZ400

Spark plugs can last 50K miles. If you want performance plugs then you should fit Iridium plugs as they last a long time are not as prone as platinuim plugs to wear and have a strong high energy spark. Expect to pay about £14 each plug.

I have HKS Iridium plugs in mine.
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

Check your service manual for the recommended change period.

Check prices at http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/pricing/ngk_iridium.htm for NGK's and there is also a drop down for Denso's - the 2 can have either manufacturer. Look in the car's manual at the back for the part numbers for either of the two makes and cross-reference with the manufacturers for their technical details.

For more on NGK see http://www.ngk.co.uk/products/cars.asp and I am sure Denso must have their own.

If you are J-spec, try contacting JapGT

Anonymous

J spec doesn't matter at all. How many miles have you done in your '2? If it isn't 50k then leave them alone. As said get iridium if you must change them. May be expensive but last alot longer than 2quid ones, so value for money, they're worth it.

No cables to change, the coil is sat directly on the top of each plug.

Anonymous

Alfa romeo wanted £200+vat for a set of ngk (but marked as Alfa) plugs fitting was a further £100+vat

had it done at my local garage for 60 quid all in and they were platinum plugs

the morale of this story is 'shop around'

Anonymous

i was told it was difficult as the coils etc are on top of the spark plugs so all that has to be removed first beofre work cam start on the plugs

Anonymous

There's just 1 bolt holding the coil pack on. Then its the plug. Takes 20mins to do, having a 10minute break half way through!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

easier than I tghought then.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: