TTE Exhaust Tail Pipe Alignment

Started by Anonymous, March 24, 2004, 20:36

Anonymous

I have had a TTE exhaust fitted by MrT. At a glance it looks okay. But when you examine it the drivers side tail pipe protrudes 1" further than the passenger side and the passenger side is sligtly angled downwards. MrT has had a second look and says "thats the best you'll get on an after market TTE exhaust and there is no adjustment possible" and "we can probably get them to look okay but as soon as you drive off they will find their own level".
Having seen Slacey's TTE exhaust (which he had fitted at the same place) which from memory looks perfect (Sean you can correct me on this), I told MrT that I had seen a 2 with a TTE fitted and it looked perfect and was fitted by themselves. The story then changed when asked what year Slaceys 2 was. As soon as I said 2002 MrT said and I quote "well yours is a 2003 with a six speed box (not a 5speed box as the 2002) and therefore due to the larger gearbox the exhaust fitting is slightly different, hence the out of alignment".
Is this bulls**t or what  s:?: :?: s:?:

Apart from the visual the exhaust sounds like heaven  s:D :D s:D

markiii

it is indeed rubbish.

as I found with H&S let it settle for a week (that buits right they will find their own level) adjust it. it's all about how the clamp on teh tailpipes and adjust teh mountings. It's a pain but it's doable.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Asterix

I have noticed exactly the same on my 2003 '2 which was fitted when I bought it. However, it does seem to change after a drive. It has to go to the garage for regular maintenance in about a month or so and will ask what they think about it.

Marcel

Slacey

Yes Dave, mine is perfect, and it came out of the workshop like that, so I too suspect the 'gearbox' think is rubbish.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Yes, the gearbox thing is total rubbish; many TTE exhausts have this niggle. My pre-03 had one fitted, and I could never get the tips correct, as you say - I could get them level (looking from the rear), but never in/out level (from above), not at the same time at least.

Other suggestions I've seen (on Spyderchat?) suggest that moving the tips alone isn't enough; you need to loosen the exhaust/cat and cat/header joints, and swivel the whole lot around. It CAN be done, it just takes patience...

Anonymous

Quote from: "roadsterman99"But when you examine it the drivers side tail pipe protrudes 1"

Roadsterman, I fitted a twin exhaust last weekend (Sportauspuff not TTE) but I had the same problem.

Have a look under the car to see where Mr T have fixed the extra bracket required for the Drivers Tailpipe.

When I first fitted I followed instructions from here (sorry without searching I can't remember who wrote it (VERY useful tho  s:D :D s:D  )) This stated to loosen the bar & attach the bracket to the hole furthest to the rear.

Because it protruded  so much I moved the bracket (& turned it around, have a look you will see what I mean) to the hole nearer the front of the car which brought the pipe in about an inch.

It may be worth a try & doesn't take a mechanic - honest - if I can do it  s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

Roadblade

Is it possible without jacking up the car or removing the bumper  s:?: :?: s:?:  

If so then I'll have a crack, if not I'll have to take it somewhere.

I so much want to prove MrT wrong  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

MRMike

My TTE is pretty much perfect as well..the drivers side is a few about 1 cm lower I reckon, not something anyone else would notice though. When loooking down they appear level also.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "roadsterman99"Roadblade

Is it possible without jacking up the car or removing the bumper  s:?: :?: s:?:  

If so then I'll have a crack, if not I'll have to take it somewhere.

I so much want to prove MrT wrong  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Its possible without removing the bumper.

Re jacking up the car - I had mine on ramps when I did it.

It will be possible though, if you lie down beside the rear wheel & trace the tail pipe you will be able to see where the new bracket is (probably in line with the mud flaps) There are two bolts - one that the bracket is attached with & another on the other side of the bar about an inch closer to the front of the car.

Just remove the bolt which will allow you to remove the bracket, re-insert the bolt & then fix the bracket with the other bolt (you will have to take the bracket out of the rubber & insert it the other way round to line the bracket up with the other bolt)

ASSUMING THAT THE BRACKET IS ATTACHED TO THE REAR BOLT!!

I hope that this makes sense  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Well got it sorted, almost. Both tail pipes now protrude the same distance. However the right tail pipe is a fraction lower than the left. On Sunday I will take another look and more than likely will bend the bracket slightly which should allow the tail pipe up. Well that's the theory.

I think MrT would have been able to do this inside of 5 mins, if they could be bothered.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Regarding MrT's explanation of the 6 speed gearbox being larger and therefore not allowing the pipes to align: I must have a different set up as the exhaust and gearbox are miles apart  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "roadsterman99"Well got it sorted, almost. Both tail pipes now protrude the same distance.

What was it in the end?

markiii

I dare you to go back and complain, after all you paid fior teh huge exhaust that gets in the way fo teh gearbox? wherfe is it, you've been short changed  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

QuoteWhat was it in the end?

I loosened the right side clamp from the muffler then re-aligned the tip and tightened the clamp...hey presto they protrude the same distance.

Tonight I will address the slight difference in the level (as right is 10mm lower than left) which hopefully will mean either bending the bolt or just loosening and moving slightly  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Well success. Adjusted both tail pipes and have managed to get alignment 99% which is good enough  s:D :D s:D  

Far better than MrT with about 65%  s:( :( s:(   and my first attempt at about 85%  s:) :) s:)  .

Next time it's sunny I will take pic and post on my website.

It really is just trial and error with a handful of patience thrown in. I don't believe you can get perfection as the rubber mounts move so therefore don't allow it.

Anonymous

Pleased that you are happy with it  s:D :D s:D

Chris

looks like I have all this fun to look forward to then, when I refit my remus!!  I might just leave it to the local garage, then I can blame them!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

scottee

MrT is fitting my TTE dual on the 16th, fun fun!

Anonymous

Scottee

QuoteMrT is fitting my TTE dual on the 16th, fun fun!

Let me know how it looks once they've done it.

Tags: