Beware Non Standard Carpets

Started by Robbie, March 25, 2004, 12:56

Robbie

Just a quick warning after a nasty experience I had last night going home from work on the A1.  I had just gone round a double roundabout and was accelerating up a small hill when I took my foot off the accelerator to slow down for traffic in the outside lane, but the car continued to accelerate. It took me a couple of seconds to realise that the throttle had jammed open. Braking slowed the car down a little but I had to put it into neutral to avoid crashing into cars in front.  The engine was screaming at this point, but thankfully I managed to hook my toe under the pedal and release it.  The moral of the story is be very careful fitting non-standard carpets not specifically designed for the 2.  These were a nice set of Rip Speed carpets with aluminium heel inserts which looked a perfect fit (and looked the business.) The carpet had obviously moved through use...Need-less-to say I have removed the driver's side carpet and will be looking for a set of MR2 ones.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been flooring the throttle,   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  but the double roundabout followed by a hill was just too tempting.....

Robbie
2002 MR2 Silver - Black Leather

Anonymous

i normally stick things like that down with velcro!. The sticky sided stuff one strip on the floor and the other on the bottom of the mat.

then it dont move when accelerating hard

Anonymous

Had the same probs with the MR2 and more recently the Celica, cant remember about the 2, but the toyota Cel ones have cut outs so the pedals do not hit the matts.

Although its the general feeling that Mr T rip you off for carpets, mine new cost me £36, the ones I tried from Halfrauds cost £39.

Definitely a good word of warning robbie!  Glad it turned out OK.

Slacey

Yep, the Toyota mats are anchored.. Busters velcro tip is a good one though.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: