PWR chargecooler project

Started by steve-m-uk, January 26, 2011, 23:40

markiii

Philster hit 270bhp and I hit 269bhp on those injectors

and they weren't maxed

so personally i don;t see them being your stumbling block

charge temps will likely be an issue before that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

steve-m-uk

Ah I see, I was just going by MWR's site that lists the 380cc ones as being good for upto 200whp which I read as good for upto around 225-230fly assuming 15% losses, but as you guys have walked the walk ill listen to your advice and keep the 380's, cheers for that saved me some money.
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

steve-m-uk

Whilst I'm at it is there anything else causing a bottleneck in my setup to prevent me reaching 270fly? In brief I have stock fuel rail and regulator ( afaik ) ,380cc injectors,emanage blue and profec e-01, 3" exhaust ( when completed ) with 100cell sport cat , pwr 320hp rated chargecooler.
 Is there anything I need to update or replace before I have it mapped?
I will be heat wrapping the exhaust as advised.

markiii

that was enough for me on my Hass to get to 269bhp

and I had teh intercooler in place at teh time

i think you should be fine
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

steve-m-uk

Excellent,I know nothing is guaranteed and cars differ but now I can get it mapped with a realistic goal in mind, thankyou.

markiii

worth thinking about how much boost you want to run

my Hass made 269bhp at 10psi

Phils C2 made 270 bhp at 12PSI

both intercooled

now Hass at 12psi with chargecooler

I reckon nigh on 300bhp should be acheivable

Wabbitkilla

Mark, we're having a spot of bother with the Profec E-01.
It works as the boost controller ok ... by appearances, but its USB isn't plugged into the e-Manage.
When we plug it into the e-Manage the Profec just displays an error.

Now I haven't had the chance to log onto the e-Manage yet and find what software version it's running and am thinking there's some mis-match between the Profec software version and the e-Manage version. I've downloaded the e-Manage updates from Greddy, but Profec E-01 seems to be discontinued and they don't show any software updates for it ... nor old softwares. MOHDparts is none-existent now too.

Any clues?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

markiii

ah yes I remember these problems

assuming that teh current emanage map is setup to use teh MAP sensor as it was when Dan had it (long long time ago)

you want boost pressure sensor plugged into emanage, passthrough cable from emanage to profec and that will work fine

plugging teh usb between them allows you to display readings teh emanage can see via its harness (possibly useful) and also program teh emange via teh profec (theoretically useful but real world a pain due to teh size of teh screen)

most of teh time I ran mine teh usb wasn't connected.

however as you rightlyu say if you do want to connect them, they have to be running compatable versions of teh software. Again this was sorted when Dan owned teh car buts a lost probably changed since then.

from memory your ok with teh Profec running a newer version of software than teh emanage, but not vice versa

I have version 125 and 149 of teh emanage firmware if that helps but don't seem to have anything for teh Profec. From memory the Profec firmware has to be loaded onto teh flash card which is then inserted in teh Profec, my Profec is probably running a newer version if you can find who currently has it.

I sold to Simon C, anyne know whoc he sold the kit on to?

if I can help just shout

philster_d

Both need compatible firmware, I think that was my issue. I never got around to updating the profec one, but it does give you the option to display a few more values from the e-manage.

I was displaying boost and throttle position iirc. You can see whats going on then.

Anyone else looking at this I still have a brand new PWR for sale in the for sale area.

Phil

steve-m-uk

Quote from: "markiii"worth thinking about how much boost you want to run

my Hass made 269bhp at 10psi

Phils C2 made 270 bhp at 12PSI

both intercooled

now Hass at 12psi with chargecooler

I reckon nigh on 300bhp should be acheivable

Going by your results i'll set my high boost at 10psi and my everyday lower boost level at 8psi , i will be more than happy if it makes 270hp but i'd like to leave that little safety margin rather than boost at 12psi and push for 300hp,as i understand it the rods turn to cheese around the 300hp mark so i'd rather not push my luck   s:) :) s:)  

As you can see Nic is on the case with the electronics and i'm very grateful ( he is like my Yoda for the mk3 )   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

markiii

not sure how much Nic or yourself has played with teh Profec as yet but one of teh things I liked most was teh start boost function, which nails the wastegate shut until you reach that point then opens it progressively from there to target boost as per normal spring operation.

when set properly it makes a HUGE difference to lag

steve-m-uk

I have downloaded a manual for the profec and been studying it, as i read it you set your start boost 3psi lower than your final target boost level and then do a couple of 3rd gear pulls to allow the profec to work out the best gain settings in auto mode or you can manually input the values and experiment   s8) 8) s8)    i should imagine that with the wastegate held shut until 7psi it will be quite ferocious when it spools up   s:D :D s:D     I did find a setting to monitor 'charge efficiency' but it doesn't give a value yet,maybe this is one of the features that the usb cable supports? I'll wait until Nic has chance to put a safer map on the car and then i'll set the boost up ready for the dyno.

Wabbitkilla

Me?
Safer map?

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Charge efficiency is monitored on the e-Manage (from memory), so we need the usb working to guarantee best tune.
If there is some firmware issue it's likely we won't get the Profec to work properly as it's a discontinued product and Trust/Greddy don't offer support or updates for it anymore ... a poor show on their part imho. Need to contact people who own Profec E-01's to see if we can get updates and ideas why te usb isn't working. I've been searching google, SC, us, and Greddy for data but not having any luck so far.

Add to that I'm now working on my PFC and dataloggit due to some mapping issue introduced by Noble last time I was there.
Can't get Co-Pilot working with my dataloggit at all.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

markiii

from memory charge efficiency is something teh emanage blue has no knowledge of, unless you have fashioned some kind of circuit and fed teh output into one of teh emanage additional inputs?

start boost at 7psi is actuall imho a good thing

manual v auto for setting start boost, if you can get auto working yoru a better man than I as neither Sean, Dan, myself ever managed to get it working properly. Even Thor agreed auto setting is  sshit shit sshit

set it manually for all round least hassle

Wabbitkilla

I think you're right about CE Mark, I remember the E-Manage Ultimate does have a Charge Efficiency feed out, but I haven't played with the EMB in that detail (yet - obviously).

I think the Profec added to the EMB gives the same kind of automated self-tune the EMU has built in.
But they aren't the most effective and I would hope they would go for the safer side of tuning.

Steve is going to get this setup on the rolling road at RS-Tuning on the 8th so I'm sure we can have it setup optimally for set levels of boost, this will be the best scenario. Maybe the usb becomes redundant at that point, but it would be nice to have the mapping accessed from the Profec for future reference. Everyone always need to borrow Ste's access dongle for accessing the EMB and it would be nice to have another option.

I have my netbook now which has decent battery life and the access software works a treat in W7.
I think I need to get some training and experience in the mapping side of things.

steve-m-uk

I'll have a play with the auto setup and see but as you say will more than likely input the settings i have seen on here for 10psi and take it from there   s:) :) s:)  
Afaik there is no extra wiring so the charge efficiency must be an unused feature. Ah Nic beat me to it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

steve-m-uk

Spent today round at the Spitstop with Ste and removed the cracked Hass manifold for welding, it came off relatively easy considering how hard it is to access some of the bolts   s:) :) s:)   this is how the manifold looked once removed

The manifold was then taken to Charlesworth where the guys tig welded up the manifold to a much better standard than it originally was, an excellent job that they did for me for which i am very grateful   s8) 8) s8)  I am now going to get together some steel bar and fashion a brace to support the turbo assembly and hopefully prevent future cracking. I must also thank Ste for putting me up on Thursday night and helping me with the manifold   s8) 8) s8)   and also RobMason who ordered and collected the new manifold gasket for me on Thursday,cheers guys   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

When i arrived home this evening i found a parcel waiting for me which turned out to be the 100 cell sport cat i ordered

Zorstec will be fitting this in place of the pre silencer on Tuesday and also welding in a post cat sensor port,once this is all done i should be ready for mapping   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
The only other job i am considering beforehand is possibly removing the injectors and having them ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested but i'm undecided as yet whether i will.

Wabbitkilla

Jeez   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   that manifold was well on its way!
Good work for all concerned   s:D :D s:D

vinp182

Steve and Nic.... any chance in helping me out with my setup when I see you at the mapping? I have instructions but its like reading French to me I really don't have a clue  s:( :( s:(

Once someone has shown me the way tho, i'll pick it up   s:) :) s:)  

Cheers

Vinny
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Wabbitkilla

Why what's up with your setup Vin?
I've got the whole day off so I should think we'll have time for tinkering.
I'm no expert with the Profec, but have the tools for the E-Manage.

vinp182

As far as I know its all fine, I just don't know how to work anything  s:( :( s:(

I have no idea what my hi and low boost settings are or how to change them... Tbh once it is set up nicely I probably won't touch it but it would be nice to know how if I ever need to  s:) :) s:)
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

philster_d

I would watch out for the auto tuning, istrc people saying it did odd spikes.

I think the stock wastegate spring on my gt28r was at about 6 psi so 6 or 7 is fine for your start number and it stops it slowly opening at first as mark said. I have seen peaks of 13.5 psi so there shouldnt be anything to worry about at around 10-12. there is only 3 numbers to tweak so you will get the hang of it soon enough.

But Im not sure what is low boost    s:P :P s:P  

Phil

markiii

High and Lo boost are just 2 settings

you pick one setting for each so, you might decide to have low set to 8psi and high to 12psi, on the basis that you run at 8 day to day and turn it up when teh need/desire takes you

I beleive you can/could also buy a steering wheel mounted button whihc when pressed automatically enable teh high boost setting, useful for drag races and extra power for overtaking

steve-m-uk

Ok i got the car back from Zorstec and this time they have done as i wanted   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
The car now has a 100cell sports cat and it's post cat sensor in place so throws no codes   s:D :D s:D  
Here are a few pictures of the system

And also a picture of the Hass manifold now it has been repaired by Charlesworth

This weekend i'll make a support brace for the turbo and manifold, and polish up the exhaust   s:D :D s:D  

I am also toying with the idea of replacing the emanage with a power fc if i can get one before the mapping day.
I have been reading on spyderchat about how the stock ecu can interfere with the fuelling of the emanage and pull the map out of tune, requiring the battery to be disconnected to return to the correct map, this doesn't sound good and i wonder if my very lean dyno pull was down to this   s:? :? s:?

PaullyP2010

Great news Steve, glad you now have things sorted   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
I am v jealous!

Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

Tags: