PWR chargecooler project

Started by steve-m-uk, January 26, 2011, 23:40

steve-m-uk

Thanks Paul  s:) :) s:)   I just need to make my mind up over the ecu, I think I will see what the emanage can do first and if it does the job ill keep it, if not ill get a power fc on the job.
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

steve-m-uk

I have noticed lately that the car seems to have what feels like a misfire when below 1500rpm and the engine is cold, it doesn't do this when up to temp however. It idles fine but does it when you are setting off in first gear, any ideas? There are no codes stored so could it be a map issue maybe?

spit

It could be a handful of things Steve. Lumpy when cold is probably not too surprising given the range of adaptations from stock to your setup.

Best bet would be to get those injectors ultrasonically cleaned before the mapping to ensure they're not squirting chunks!
And clean the MAF too - Although you're getting mapped to pressure, the ECU is still twiddling according to your MAF reading and might be a tad sluggish when you blip a load onto the engine from cold.

Your mismatched O2s aren't likely to be a factor on cold pick-up, and they do seem to be doing their thing OK on warm idle and tootle.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

steve-m-uk

Thanks Ste, i'll get on the case and have them done   s8) 8) s8)  don't want to have any reason not to reach the goal on mapping day   s:D :D s:D

markiii

id consider teh maf a consumeable at this point and replace it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Good point Mark.
Side question: can the PFC be configured to map to a pressure rather than airflow voltage?  If so, thats £100 you can justify putting towards one Steve   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If you do go for a new MAF, go Gen Denso. Don't be tempted by EBay offerings They stink.

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"Good point Mark.
Side question: can the PFC be configured to map to a pressure rather than airflow voltage?

Not on our PFC, no (there are two types, one for cars with MAP and one for cars with MAF - but they are only ever offered in 'original configuration' versions.. i.e. if your car came with a MAP, you get a MAP PFC, if it came with a MAF, you get a MAF PFC)

MAP is nice but it's not the be all & end all of mapping, IMHO - MAF basically combines MAP & IAT functions into one sensor, that's all.. it's a little easier to tune for varying boost levels with a MAP, but unless you want to have infinitely variable boost it's still relatively straightforward to tune for a couple of preset levels.

Then again it's also fairly straightforward to tune the eManage so it doesn't fight with the stock ECU - you just have to make sure the fuel trims end up as close to 0 as possible during closed-loop operation; i.e. that your injector corrections and so on are spot on, otherwise yes, corrections learned during closed loop will be applied to open-loop (i.e. WOT) when you don't want them to be. Basically, if the stock ECU was shooting for 14.7:1, your adjusted eManage map during closed-loop better also be hitting 14.7:1 (or whatever the stock ECU was shooting for - usually about 14.7:1, oddly enough)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

steve-m-uk

Speaking of the MAF , i mentioned to Nic the other day that the Hass pipe where the MAF fits into is not a good seal on the MAF o-ring,the hole in the pipe is far too large to seal against it. I'm going to make a gasket to seal it as it will be allowing a boost leak as it stands.

markiii

they were all pretty  sshit shit sshit  tbh

I ended up dispensing with teh o ring and using rtv
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

steve-m-uk

I was planning on getting some gasket paper or thin rubber and cutting a gasket out of that   s:) :) s:)  but rtv would do the same job too.

steve-m-uk

This evening i have done an ecu reset by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for 3hours, what a difference   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  no more misfire at low revs and the car seems much more eager, much happier now as this means whatever the issue was it's not mechanical just a mapping issue   s:D :D s:D

steve-m-uk

Just a small update,the car is still running much better   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   I have also fabricated a brace out of aluminium for the turbo which bolts to the block with two bolts and to the turbo on the compressor housing, time will tell if it works but it certainly can't hurt.
 I have also wrapped the exhaust to cut down the engine bay temps, Robmason kindly donated some heat wrap so i set about wrapping the system from the turbo right up to the back box

after some initial smoking it has settled down and is so good at keeping the heat within the exhaust that you can touch the exhaust after a run and the strut brace is now only luke warm whereas before it was untouchable.   s8) 8) s8)  

Tomorrow morning i will be removing my fuel rail to get at the injectors, i will be taking them to have them cleaned on the ASNU machine and should have them back on Tuesday all clean and flow matched   s:D :D s:D

PeteT

The exhaust wrap is something i keep putting off, is it worth breaking my back for?
Pete

markiii

Worth it turbo, not if na

steve-m-uk

This morning i collected the injectors from Simon Green service centre where i have had them cleaned on the ASNU machine, one of them was a little sticky and showed poor spray pattern and the others were just down on flow due to use and age but all that is fixed now   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   all four injectors are flowing within a couple of ml of each other and are making the quoted flow on the flow test with good even spray pattern so all is good, they are now refitted and working 100% so bring on Friday for the mapping   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

spit

Fingers crossed Steve. What time are you booked in on Friday?

steve-m-uk

Cheers Ste, we will aim to get there around 10am but as there are three of us there isn't a fixed time for each session.

steve-m-uk

Well it's been some time since i updated this thread, the car made 235hp on the dyno, quite a bit down on what i was expecting or hoping for   s:? :? s:?   It also decided to drop about a litre of oil out of the return line to the sump on the dyno   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
 Since then i have replaced the return hose with a lined braided hose and it has been fine ever since completing a drive to Le-mans and runs up the strip at santa pod where the car managed 13.5 @ 100mph.
 I have also recently purchased an apexi power fc as i was never happy with the emanage compromise, and also a set of MWR 630cc injectors to help me achieve the power level i want. I have also purchased an innovate wideband gauge to monitor AFR's .
 Hopefully ditching the emanage should allow me to get a nice stable tune for the car, i have a few little jobs to do on the car and then i'll get it mapped again   s:) :) s:)

vinp182

Nice one Steve, I look forward to seeing how the PFC does compared to the emanage   s:) :) s:)  

I'm saving for a PFC and a few other bits and pieces to hopefully get done after the summer
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

steve-m-uk

Recently i have been having problems with the Hass log manifold cracking again so i decided enough was enough,and got hold of one of the cast che manifolds from Carben fibre creations. The manifold looks a good piece of kit with strong thick flanges and it is designed for flow whereas the Hass manifold literally just pressurises the intake. At the same time as fitting the manifold i decided on a rework of the turbo system,this has always passed a small amount of oil through the compressor housing and i thought it was just worn,but this was found to be down to no restrictor in the feed line   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  A .035" restrictor was ordered and fitted and i can report no oil passing the turbo now   s:D :D s:D  The che manifold places the turbo further over to the left of the car so i will need to have a new exhaust made up and have ordered a 3" V-band flange for the turbo to make fitting of a new system easy   s:) :) s:)  
 The moving of the turbo also requires the chargecooler moving so a good time for improvement,the cooler was sat on the rear beam and this was ok but i thought if i could move the cooler up next to the battery it would firstly be cooler and second it would shorten the inlet path   s:) :) s:)  some new red silicone hoses were ordered and the Hass intake pipe was chopped and robbed of its MAF adapter,the new intake run is as short as possible and hopefully will be away from the exhaust heat, this also has the benefit of moving the chargecooler water pipes to the rear of the engine tidying up the install greatly.
 I was also never happy with the location of the Hass turbo intake, it was sat on the rear beam where all the dirt could get at it and the filter was always getting caked in oil, with the new setup i decided to make a proper cold air intake and fitted a new cone filter under the passenger side rear lamp modifying the stock cold air pipe in the inner wing to direct cold air directly at the filter,i then added some flexy neoprene hose and fixed it to the inner wing and along the rear beam to the turbo,forcing the turbo to only breathe cold air from the wheel arch cavity.
Here are some pics of progress so far,Nik took some shots of the manifold for reference regarding clearance etc which i'm sure he will post too.

Still waiting on the V-band flange to arrive from the States and then it's off to have a new exhaust system fabricated   s:D :D s:D

steve-m-uk

Well the flange eventually showed up   s:) :) s:)  and i've finally managed to get the exhaust done thanks to Tony Banks exhausts in Leeds, they have built me a cracker of a system similar to the che or janspeed design but using 3" pipe throughout    :th:

The sound is lovely and deep with pops and bangs on the overrun  s:) :) s:)

steve-m-uk

I also took the opportunity whilst i had the car apart to fit some gauges,inspired by Ste's triple gauge setup i set about doing this

They are the Depo racing gauges with peak and warning functions,they also illuminate seven colours   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  but i just have them white for day and red at night   s:) :) s:)  
On Nic's recommendation i went for boost,oil temp and EGT ,the sensor for the EGT is tapped into the collector of the Che manifold just above the turbo flange.
I have also removed the greddy profec E-01 boost controller in favour of a turbosmart manual one,keeps it simple and does the job   s8) 8) s8)  
Next job will be to do the single oxygen sensor mod and fit the innovate wideband i bought a while back.

muffdan

Boost, oil temp and EGT are the same gauges I chose too! Great minds eh  s;) ;) s;)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

loadswine

Tailpipes look great!    s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

steve-m-uk

Thanks guys   s8) 8) s8)  Nic guided me in my choice of gauges, was a toss up between EGT and oil pressure.

Tags: