Service costs...

Started by Anonymous, March 26, 2004, 14:13

Anonymous

Hi,

I had a problem with my alarm going off all the time so I took it in to be looked at under the extended warranty.  

While I was there I asked about servicing.  I bought the car when it was exactly 3 years old, the dealer game me a 12 month warranty. I've had the car for about 9 months so that give me until about June till the warranty runs out.

When I asked how much a service will cost he went on to say, and I quote: "well, the first year service is about £100, then for the second year it goes up to about £200, then the third year is back around £100 and the 4th year goes back up to about £280"

I plan to ring the other dealer in Bristol shortly but thought I'd ask here first.

Is this correct?  

Cheers

Mike.

Anonymous

Sounds dodgy to me.

My first service was £60.  Not sure about the next one

Anonymous

Sounds about right.

They alternate (as my old Nissan did) between major and minor services.  And then at things like 3years and whatnot, they do some extra "big" things.

Anonymous

My first one was £100ish - it depends on the dealer you go to so if you have a few around its worth seeing what their price is.

SimonC_Here

That seems about right,
10K ~ ??? (I bought mine at 13,000)
20K ~ £210
30K ~ £110
40K ~ £287

For mine.

Simon

darrenjuggins

Hell What did they do at 40k to cost you £287... ??

I'm coming upto my 60k soon and the most i've ever paid is approx £160 and thats including my own oil costs as well.

Have you included tyres, discs, pads etc in your figures.... if so they will be a bit misleading ? or are they "normal" service items, ie. filters, etc, etc.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Hell What did they do at 40k to cost you £287... ??

You're in lincolnshire... Simon's down south... that'll be good old "regional variances" I guess  s:) :) s:)

darrenjuggins

Jesus - is your oil made of gold or what!!! tee, hee!!!

Hey come on were catching up here in Lincolnshire, I think our labour charge is about £55 per hour, can't think they can charge to much more down south ???

Like your cheek thou Phil   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

markiii

at £280 4th service will include coolant change (or should) and possibly brake fluid.

but never take for granted whats included ask for an exact list of whats included and if this includes parts.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MR2Blue

Quote from: "yorkie"Hi,

I had a problem with my alarm going off all the time so I took it in to be looked at under the extended warranty.

Hi Yorkie, what was wrong with your alarm  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Why I ask is because mine keeps going off, for no reason, especially when I've been on nightshift and I'm trying to sleep  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

Mine is booked in for the 2 year service on Tues (6 months late  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) but they quoted £167 for the 20K service - mine has 16.5K on.

My own fault about the late service - we bought both cars in July & I thought that the guy said that it was last serviced in May, but got mixed up with my Wife's CRV, it wasn't until I checked when I was going to go down to see about the bubbling wheels that I realised  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I wasn't too bothered about the CRV being late as the warranty has expired (T - 1999)

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Jesus - is your oil made of gold or what!!! tee, hee!!!

Hey come on were catching up here in Lincolnshire, I think our labour charge is about £55 per hour, can't think they can charge to much more down south ???

Like your cheek thou Phil   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Cheers

Darren

Can't check it at the mo but I seem to remember it was £65 an hour for labour. 2.5 hours for the service.

Coolent and oil change, no brake fluid, not a year old yet so it was checked but fine.

No gold brake disks either  s:( :( s:(  just the normal stuff.

Oh well.

Simon

darrenjuggins

Just Checked my 40k Service:

Labour £82.50
Parts

Inc:

Oil Filter
Brake Cleaner
Spark Plugs (13.24)
Sunderies

Total 31.63

Mobil 1 £30.00 (Provided by me)

Total Cost £164.10

Woops Simon - you must have paid them for some sky hooks -  £120 for a pair.....

That is rather a LARGE regional variation thou (being serious now)

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

SimonC_Here

Well they were going to charge me for the long stand but I decided to go to work instead.   s:) :) s:)  

you didn't get a coolent change? I thought that was required. (1h labour + coolent)

Simon

darrenjuggins

Hi Simon,

Like the long stand one !!! tee, hee!!!

Coolent has been ticked on the check list but on reference to coolant fluid on the cost list ???

Bought some coolent fluid anyway after a long VERY HOT trip to cardiff it the first time it used any coolent (but then over 5 hours worth of driving in 30 + conditions with full air con on, I'm not surprised)

other than that one time, never need to top up.

The dealer is pretty good, so I guess they did it and didn't charge me for the coolent ?

Still don't think that would have made up for the long stand and sky hook charge.

I'll keep you posted on future costs as next will be my 60k !

my 50k cost - Wait for it !!!!!! - 59.18 + £30 for my Mobil One !!!! is this the cheapest sports car to run or what!!!!

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

SimonC_Here

Well you can probably tell from previous comments about the dealer, I should really change them.
I asked them to look at the camber of the passenger front as the tire was wearing unevenly, they check the tire and said it had even wear across all three bands. You can tell it's not by using the tried and tested "stick your fingernail in the tread" method. It's not even close!

Oh well. I must remember to ask them where they used the tartan paint that was on the service sheet.

Simon

Anonymous

so the moral of the story is:

- shop around

(unfortunately the only two Toyota dealers in Bristol are run by the same company, Toyota Word, so I don't expect them to be competitive with their pricing)

- get a service done in the north

If a 40K service can be done for £164, that's quite a saving from £280.

- provide your own oil

this seems to be popular.  Although I guess you have to trust them that they'll actually use it on your car.

Any other helpful tips?

Mike.

darrenjuggins

Yorkie additional tiips!!!

Be Cheeky and ask for discount on all items!

Mostly you will get 10 % off, but if you visit the same dealer regularly, then you should easily be able to ask for 20 % , especially accesssories.

Ask on here first before you go for a service, most probably some old owners like me will already have had it done, so I can give you a comparative price.

and dont be afraid to ask for discount, the worst they can say is no, sorry can't give any....  !!!

Errr... Brains gone to slepp now  :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Ringing round to get quotes for a 30k/3yr service, Bury St Edmunds has just called me back and their price is reasonable £76 all inc for service plus £73 incl for a coolant change if required (?) but prices may vary as some parts on imports are different prices - Is that right?.  I also asked if they would provide a courtesy car and they said no, not when servicing an imported car.  (My car was imported through Motorpoint from Belgium)

They don't seem to be very courteous do they   s:( :( s:(  

I'm going to go outside now and tell my car that it's being picked on   s:P :P s:P

markiii

the price sounds fine.

the coolant only needs doing if your car is 3 years old. If not it can wait for teh next one.

other than that it's oil, oil filter, air filter and a load of checks.

and the imports need different parts is a load of rubbish. Don't let them charge you more for that, the parts are identical.

In fact come to that for the parts listed above they are the same in every world market.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Explain to them that your car is identical in almost every respect to the UK model, and then ask them which of the 3 parts they fit (oil, filter, sump plug washer) it is that wont fit?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

and then ask for the part numbers of the ones they will have to special order. I bet they will be the same as the UK parts fitted to mine and everyone elses  :-) :-) :-)

I hate when dealers try to pull stunts like this, they really should know better.

Anonymous

Oooo ooo calm down boys   s:D :D s:D  

The thing that got my goat was their company policy about the courtesy cars.  Has anyone else had this?

aaronjb

Quote from: "lilylaville"The thing that got my goat was their company policy about the courtesy cars.  Has anyone else had this?

Yep (though not with Toyota) - it's the same as their policy of ly^H^Hbending the truth about parts being different..

Just another way for them to make money out of you while having to do less work to make it.

Hmm - can I say that about dealers in here?  s:D :D s:D

Of course, it's true that they're not obliged to provide a courtesy car to anyone (not even for a UK car undergoing warranty work), but still.. having a 'policy' like the one above is just plain wrong, IMHO..

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

in all honesty it depends on individual dealers, and staff member come to that,

I've come across some downright useless, nasty ones (both dealers and staff) but then I've found other a complete pleasure to deal with.

Having evesdropped on the conversation with some of the typical corrolla owners they get in every day, I'm not surprised owners get treated as idiots, 9 out of 10 in a day that they get probably are  :-) :-) :-)

still no excuse for blatant lieing though.

Tags: