Service costs...

Started by Anonymous, March 26, 2004, 14:13

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"still no excuse for blatant lieing though.

Very true

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"in all honesty it depends on individual dealers, and staff member come to that,

I've come across some downright useless, nasty ones (both dealers and staff) but then I've found other a complete pleasure to deal with.

Having evesdropped on the conversation with some of the typical corrolla owners they get in every day, I'm not surprised owners get treated as idiots, 9 out of 10 in a day that they get probably are  :-) :-) :-)

still no excuse for blatant lieing though.

Indeed - my dealer has (so far) been quite useful, done warranty work with no questions asked etc and indeed said "Ah, chain tensioner" more or less as soon as I mentioned rattling..

I think you give people too much credit though Mark - I think it's more like 99 in 100  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

darrenjuggins

Hi Guys,

Just picked up the thread again....

Mines from Belgium (Motorpoint) since 2000 Nov, Listers of Lincoln, haven't been able to do enough for me, courtesy car, warranty work and discount plus I know all the service guys/ girls and mech's who work on my car personally.

They have been great, so praise to them....

The only thing they haven't been able to do is sort out the exttended warranty boys.... so i've written to the head of Quality in Tokyo to sort that little problem out.... I'll keep you posted on that one.

Heres to Lister Toyota, Lincoln... well done guys / girls.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Ok, this is an update to my first post of this topic...

I was resigned to paying around £260-280 for my 4th year service until the postman dropped an interesting envelope through my door yesterday. It was simply a leaflet from Toyota World (the franchise who operate the dealers in the Bristol/South West/Cardiff area).

Pictures of the front cover, centre and back page can be found here

http://www.michaelyorke.com/mr2/front.jpg (105kb)
http://www.michaelyorke.com/mr2/centre.jpg (426kb)
http://www.michaelyorke.com/mr2/back.jpg (89kb)

the small print on the centre pages states the prices are only available to cars over 4 years.  

As I bought my car second hand in June 2003, when it was exactly 3 years old. Therefore I need to get it serviced at the end of June (on or around it's 4th Birthday).  Last month Toyota quoted me £280 for the 4th year service but if take this leaflet in when the car is 4 years and 1 day old then I'll get exactly the same service but £100 cheaper right?  They'll still stamp my book as usual on its 4th Birthday so does anyone see a problem with this?

Opinions/comments appreciated.

Mike.

Bongo

The small prints cut off - hard to tell without that.

heathstimpson

Looks to be a good deal if its right though  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

woops, here is the small print

http://www.michaelyorke.com/mr2/smallprint.jpg

the "*Platinum spark plugs replacment at aditional cost" refers to number 30 on the list.

Presumably no one else received a leaflet like this?

Mike.

Bongo

I guess it depends what "These service offers do not replace the recommended Toyota service schedule" means.

I'd guess that they are meant to supplement a standard service not replace it (ie not stampable).

Anonymous

I'm guessing what Bongo's just said.

Anonymous

I guess you guys are right.  Where's the justice in doing two services which appear exactly the same, but one costing way more than the other?

Dealers eh!

Bongo

I'd ask them to make sure. Then raise the point about pricing with the service manager.

Anonymous

OK.

Went to Toyota World (Whitby Road, Bristol) yesterday to get an MOT.  Passed on everything but the mechanic did notice the front discs were rusting quite bad and offered to take them in and would skim them.

He explained what this involves and mentioned on a normal warranty they would probably be replaced but as I had an extended warrenty the best he could do was skim them.  Fair enough.

While I was there I asked about getting a 4th year service for £179 (using the leaflet I was sent in the post - see the links at the top of this article). He pointed out the clause which reads "this service is not intended to replace the recommended Toyota scheduled service" and thought that therefore this cheaper service was not "stampable".

I explained that the service in the leaflet and the MR2 40,000k service document (which i had asked them to fax a few weeks earlier) involved doing virtually indetical services, including all parts like filter and oil changes.  Also, both services would take one of their mechanics the same amount of time so why is it fair I pay £100 more for a stamp in my service book?  

...they are getting back to me.

If the answer is not satisfactory I think I'll write to Toyota UK and ask them to explain.

I'll keep you posted.

Mike.

Anonymous

Good news!

The service chap said they would stamp my book if the service I choose from the leaflet matched the recommend service from the Toyota service book.

Basically what he was saying is I can't have the £69 (minor) service and expect my service book to get stamped.

So next week I'm paying £179 for my 4th year service which would normally cost about £280.  

Now, what should I do with the £100 I saved?!

Mike.

GSB

Quote from: "yorkie"Now, what should I do with the £100 I saved?!

s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4150 m
  s:?: :?: s:?:  
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

It's that time of year again and I need to book a service, but before I do I want to call on the trusted expertise on this forum.  My '2 is has just had it's 5th birthday but only done around 39,500 miles.  My first question is what service should I get - 5 year or 40K miles?

Anyway, I just called a local Toyota garage and they told me a service would cost £131.13.  He also recommended I change the brake fluid and coolant fluid, each a £50 extra.  After a "hmmm" and a few seconds of silence from me down the phone he offered to discount that and do the lot for £205.

So my second question is should I get these extras done?  After searching around on the forum it seems the coolant would be a good idea (am I right in saying this is first done on a 4 year service?) but I wouldn't need the brake fluid changing if I had that done last year.

Only problem is I can't remember what I had last year, the car was 4 years old but it had only done 30,000 miles?  I have the service documents at home so I'll have a look tonight.

Either way, would you guys and gals think that the all inclusive price is resonable?

Mike.

kanujunkie

just a question in return Mike before an answer

how practical are you???
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

darrenjuggins

Hi Mike,

You should really go by the years, if you arn't covering the mileage. Therefore it should be an interim 5 yr / 50k service.

£131, if it includes all parts etc and Oil sounds reasonable.

If you fancy saving yourself some money, try sourcing the elements such as brake fluid, transmission fluid and oil from else where, as these are the elements they try and make the money on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Darren

Woops - just checked my 50k service was £59.18 ! (exc oil) so say about £90 for if I'd included oil at £30 from Toyota.... Therefore err £131.00 for the same is a little bit more expensive....

PS - the most i've paid was for my 80k service which was £168, but this included transmission fuild replacement at about £30, plus spark plugs.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

heathstimpson

What spark plugs are used as standard in the 2 and should I look at upgrading these especially if going the turbo route in the future  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

hold off untilw e fit teh turbo,

but get yourself some NGK bk6re ready for that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"hold off untilw e fit the turbo,

but get yourself some NGK bk6re ready for that
The reason I ask is that I have my fourth year service coming up in a couple of weeks where they change the plugs; would the NGK's be ok to use for now on N/A  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

if gapped right yes, but personally I'd just ask them to ignore that part of teh service
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Rang around a few dealers and found the 40K service quite a bit cheaper in Lincolnshire than my dealership (£225 compared to £355). Spoke to my local dealer who have price matched  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  It may be worth others giving the price match option a go at their local garage  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: