Will the front crash bolts work for the rear?

Started by Ilogik, January 29, 2011, 13:31

Ilogik

Due to my car being very very low on the bcs im struggling to get the best camber set up. Can anyone recommend a kit?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Wabbitkilla

You shouldn't have a problem at the front.

For the rear Megan racing or Che adjustable linkages (available from Prolex these days).
Or Crash bolts.

All have been well covered on the forum

<edit>  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28531&p=350920&hilit=crash+bolts#p350920 l
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Ilogik

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You shouldn't have a problem at the front.

For the rear Megan racing or Che adjustable linkages (available from Prolex these days).
Or Crash bolts.

Is this the right thing? getting confused. Seem to be two different kits?

But then there are these

Can you explain difference between, trailing arms, control arms and track arms.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Ilogik"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You shouldn't have a problem at the front.

Or Crash bolts.

Is this the right thing? getting confused. Seem to be two different kits?

But then there are these

Can you explain difference between, trailing arms, control arms and track arms.

Simply put;

Trailing arms are the ones that go from the hub towards the front of the car. (Hence they trail from the car)

Control arms are the ones you will want and they are the ones that go from the bottom of the hub to the subframe.

Track arms are the ones you've shown there and they connect from the side of the hub nearest the back of the car and go to the subframe where the tracking adjusters are. (Hence track arms).
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Wabbitkilla

I think these are the lower arms although in the description stuff it calls them trailing arms -- they are very similar, just different lengths.
 m http://www.prolex-uk.com/store/product_ ... ts_id=1041 m

Could be worth talking to Dave and checking they are the right ones.

Depending on the amount of adjustment you need, you may get away with crash bolts that would be cheaper

Ilogik

Sounds good, will drop him a PM/

Wabbitkilla

Picture courtesy of Fgrob

Ilogik

Wicked, its the front they said they had the biggest problem with, where can crash bolts be bought from? Just spoke to the alignment place and they said to try the bolts first.

Found these
 m http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=438 m

Would they be identical front and back?

Wabbitkilla

You must have real problems if they're unable to get your front camber adjusted, or they don't know what they're doing!

Can't remember f the fronts and backs are the same, but I would guess they are.

Anyone?

Ilogik

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You must have real problems if they're unable to get your front camber adjusted, or they don't know what they're doing!

Can't remember f the fronts and backs are the same, but I would guess they are.

Anyone?

haha my car is v v v low, the monocraft kit eats suspension. If you look at a recent bc thread you will see what i mean.

The best they could ajust the rear to was -2 camber and the front was 1 i think, i forgot my print out. I also have 17s with et 0.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  if it makes any difference.

Ilogik

current set up

markiii

if teh bc don't already have them and if you can get them top adjustable pillowball mounts are a much better solution than crash bolts
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

I have bought 2 sets just incase, but Toyota only list the crash bolts for the front only, can they  be interchanged with the rear or not is my question?

markiii

No

Front bolts are smaller from memory
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

FGrob

Front O/D bolt ranges from 14mm down to 12mm, with lengths of 50mm and 54mm, rear bolt O/D is 15mm not sure about the length though.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

markiii

i think the rearsd are rated higher in terms of tensile strength as well

Wabbitkilla

BC's come by default with camber adjustable pillowball topmounts for the front.
There are multiple holes for the bolts so they can be adjusted significantly if required by moving the bolts around.
For the front if that's not enough then crashbolts are your only remaining option.

For the rear Magean racing type arms are probably the best and strongest solution.

Ilogik

looks like i have two sets of crash bolts coming back up for sale then if the fronts do indeed have adjustables, have got myself a good deal on toe, trailer arm and track arm.  Will have to start selling organs soon.

Tags: