New Battery?

Started by w00dhead, January 31, 2011, 10:12

w00dhead

Hi, can anybody help... Looks like I'm in the market for a new battery. Car hasn't seen much action in the last few months and has been idel for the last few weeks. Went to start it yesterday and it was completly flat. Gave it a jump start and then took it for a spin (about 30mins). There is a bit of juice in it this morning but not enough to start it

I've seen some posts on here that mention Halfords but just priced one up and they are coming in at £67.99

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65762#tab3 m

I was just wondering, given there maybe a few people in the same situation (given limited running resently), if anybody can point me in the diretion of a cheaper option...?

Many thanks

SimonC_Here

Get it from the nearest Toyota dealership. It tends to be cheaper and you know it will fit.

Some more information here:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28223

w00dhead

Thanks for your quick reply...

I've just ran local Toyata dealer and he's saying £64 - A bit cheaper and, as you say, I know it will fit. In terms of the 'will it fit' question, as long as I'm ok on the demensions will I not be ok or are the other issues with the terminals...? I've had a quick google and there are online suppliers coming in at £45 (that look ok in terms of size)

SimonC_Here

The terminals come in a variety of sizes. So you will have to check. that link I posted has some information about it.

markiii

I have a halfords one that you can have for £35

taken from my race car and looks brand new
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Fatbloater

If a battery is deeply discharged it'll take more than 30 minutes hooning round to charge it up.
Get it whacked on a battery charger.

Also if a battery is discharged there is a build up of sulphation inside the battery itself which requires a 10AMP charge to disperse.
Worth thinking about if buying a battery charger.

Most battery conditioners can also be used to recover batteries from deeply discharged state, some battery chargers can not.

Its worth thinking about before you shell out £70 odd quid on a battery.
For info I've just followed this parallel charging technique on my deeply discharged Gel Motorcycle Battery and it worked a treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dIoaL3DWWEg
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

joebobbnc

I recently bought a new battery from eurocarparts.  It only cost £50 inc.  The first battery they brought out was completely the wrong size, so I would recommend taking your old battery with you, then they can just work it out by looking.

I thought that for £50 it wasn't worth trying to charge up the old battery, just to worry about it happening again.

normanh

Try your local Mr T the price is £65 fitted and thats disposal of the old one, was in one on Thursday getting some brake pads

norman

m312

Btw the Halfords one is the HB053, their book it incorrect for the car. 54's terminals are too small.

SteveJ

Quote from: "m312"Btw the Halfords one is the HB053, their book it incorrect for the car. 54's terminals are too small.
The HB053 is identical to the HB054 including the terminal posts - it just has two bits of lead sheet wrapped around them to make them bigger and they charge you an extra £5! (HB054 is for jap imports).
Do what I did - buy an HB054 and accidentally swap the lead shims from an HB053 onto it. Also make sure you find someone with a Halfords card - I only paid £32 last year (list price was £67)

mrzwei

Just buy the one from Toyota, I really don't see the issue here.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: