After some new brakes

Started by WillsSayers, January 31, 2011, 14:23

WillsSayers

Possibly after some new brakes after my car is making a noise.....

I was thinking I may as well up-rate the brakes rather than leaving them OEM, so was thinking of slotted discs. Where can I get them from and are they a marked improvement over OEM? Always thought my OEM brakes have felt quite soft in this car, which owing to the fact I engine brake a lot and never make sudden stops (forward planning for the win) has never been a problem in the past!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

markiii

if your going to do it i reccomend

black diamon discs
motul rbf 600 fluid
braided lines
ebc yellow stuff pads
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

Is bleeding the brakes much of a job? And by that, I probably mean how much will it cost me in labour..... I am after all a complete liability with a tool kit and would end up destroying the brakes  s:D :D s:D

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

markiii

bleeding the brakes is fairly straight forward

even for you if you get some speedbleeders
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

Aren't the discs on mk1, mk2 and mk3 brakes all the same size? I ask, as the Black Diamond brakes seem to differ wildly in price between models. Surely if the OEM discs are interchangable, then the Black Diamond ones would be?

markiii

that I'm no sure of, though roadster discs are different front to back, rears are bigger from memory

WillsSayers

Yeah I know that much. Looking at £320 for a set of discs at the moment.

Car's been diagnosed anyway, binding caliper can be freed, just needs new rear pads.

WillsSayers

Also, do the mk2 Turbo EBC Yellow Stuff pads fit the mk3? I can't seem to find any specific to the mk3..........?

You can tell I've never bought anything brake related before  s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Also, do the mk2 Turbo EBC Yellow Stuff pads fit the mk3? I can't seem to find any specific to the mk3..........?

You have a hard time finding part numbers for YellowStuff online as they're not road-approved, all you need to do is find the part number for either standard 'blackstuff' or 'greenstuff' pads and swap a digit though  s;) ;) s;)

GD1087 EBC 3GD series Brake Discs (Pair, Front)
DP1295 EBC Ultimax Brake Pads ' Both Wheels (Front)
DP1107 EBC Ultimax Brake Pads ' Both Wheels (Rear)
DP41295R EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads ' Both Wheels (Front)
DP41107R EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads ' Both Wheels (Rear)

As you can see - take the 'standard' part number and add a '4' in front with a trailing 'R' gets you YellowStuff, or if you have the GreenStuff part number swap the leading '2' for a '4' - works for all their pads, apparently. (Above is my last order with  w www.brakes4u.co.uk w  - I bought the blackstuff pads just in case the YellowStuff turned out awful; they turned out great however, so the blacks are sitting as emergency spares somewhere)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

FGrob

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Also, do the mk2 Turbo EBC Yellow Stuff pads fit the mk3? I can't seem to find any specific to the mk3..........?

Here you go, direct link to EBC -  m http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/toyota-mr ... 189064.htm m

£52 for the rears free delivery.

and the front  m http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/toyota-mr ... 182844.htm m

£55 for the front free delivery

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

WillsSayers

You're a gentleman and a scholar, Mr. Rob! Over £400's worth of brakes, just what I've always wanted..........  s:( :( s:(  haha

JiMR2

hey will

I got mine from EBC lasy year - £210, ebc turbo grooved discs and ebc red or green (?) pads - think delivery was on top of that (£40) IIRC. Purchased from their Fleabay store!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

WillsSayers

£250 for discs AND pads............? Are the EBC discs rated well?

markiii

ebc disks in my experience are pants

wouldn;t touch them with your bargepole

WillsSayers

Well then! That settles that!

P.S.  Give me back my bargepole  s:mad: :mad: s:mad:

JiMR2

I dunno Mark   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Mine haven't caused me any issues and "appear" to be lasting well so far touch wood. Do the trick for my ROAD use...

I know Les and possibly even Nic used EBC for their discs and pads also... Not aware of any probs...   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Saying that if i had £400 + to spend on brakes maybe i'd of looked at something different like the Tarox big brake kits, around £500 - £600... (discs and pads).

Horses for courses though Will mate  s;) ;) s;)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

WillsSayers

Hey, I'd be happy spending as little as possible; if the guys with the EBC discs can pass on their feedback I'd be happy to consider them  s:) :) s:)  Bang for buck is always important - just don't want to end up with some duff equipment!

FGrob

I've got them fitted, had them for a few years now, done several track days no problems. No rusting, but then again my car does not see much water  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Value for money wise then yep OK.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

markiii

to put into perspective my ebc disc experience is not with teh roadster, however it was sufficient to put me off

however if other guys are having good roadster specific expereinces? then maybe take teh risk,

me personally I won't

vinp182

I had EBC discs and yellow stuff pads on my mk2 turbo and I thought they were great.. Much improvement from stock.. Used them for road driving and on track    s:) :) s:)

Saying that I only tried stock and EBC setups so I have no other aftermarket ones to compare to
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

tigracat

Had brand new discs and pads fitted today, £120 all in,,,,,  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Ps daughter is warehouse manager for Arnold clarke, about time she became useful,,,,

Mike
02 mr2 in silver with ht, mags, quad exhaust, pioneer cd, dvd double din player, debadged and de pre catted, custom arm rest, Style bar, dev keyhole covers, K&N cone air filter.
Suzuki Bandit 1200 totally mirror polished show bike.
09 Mini cooper s.
2011 Mazda Miyako 2l

spit

My EBCs and greenstuff were excellent for stopping power and stayed clean and rust-free for three winters. But they didn't last anywhere near as long as I thought they would. I had to swap them out last year and actually ran on my old OEMs for a while with better braking response!

And judging by the uneven wear on the grooves and dimples the fronts had warped   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  . I'm not a heavy user of brakes which showed in the pads, but the greens did turn a bit worryingly crumbly when I took them off.

Nic had better service from the EBC setup, but then he is a much better driver!

Both Nic and Andrew (AC) have moved onto different discs now and I believe they rate them very highly. Its well worth checking in with them to find out where they picked them up Wills.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

roger

Quote from: "FGrob"I've got them fitted, had them for a few years now, done several track days no problems. No rusting, but then again my car does not see much water  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Value for money wise then yep OK.

Rob.

+1, front only. Still on original rears   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Wabbitkilla

Ah, all very good questions and some opinions that people have are their opinions.

I thought it might be useful to bring my experience and ideas together now then to see if it helps you make your decision,

Discs; my oem discs were ruined after approx 40K Miles, corrosion is the killer in my case, particularly on the inside surfaces.
Pad; well, I use pads up, but i felt the oem pads faded with use - however this may have been induced by the corrossion on the discs.
Brakelines; TBH probably the best upgrade you can do to your brakes, stainless braided lines give you oodles more feedback and control.
Brake Fluid; Again a huge improvement in feedback and control can be had wih a decent DOT5.1 fluid combined with the braided brakelines. It results in a firmer pedal but to me that's a big positive.

So why did I choose EBC over Black Diamond or Tar-ox?
Well you know Black Diamond and Tar-ox are very fine products, have good reputations but sometimes hard to get hold of and expensive.
I had EBC sintered Hyperlite discs on a bike before and they were the dogs....... but don't get confused bike discs and car discs are hugely different. The EBC bike discs are far superior to their car discs. But they are a decent affordable price and come with an anti-corrossion coating.
I went with Blackstuff pads at first and wore them out after a year, then moved to grenstuff and they lasted better and gave a better feel.
What happened to the EBC's? Well I wore them out just like the oems and although the anti-corrossion coating worked, there comes a time when it's doing nothing much. Corrossion on the ineer surfaces and wearing the discs to the slots were barely visible on the inner surfaces was the death knell. Mind I had no problem with warping, I think that might come down to my driving style and environment as opposed to Ste's (I'll come to that later).

I replaced the EBC's last year with CRN brakes 40 groove coated discs and greenstuff pads.
Why? Well they're a great price direct from CRN and i figure they'll last at least as long at the oems and EBCs and I will be happy with that.
CRN are also very nice to deal with, friendly and supportive service - it gives me a warm feeling dealing with people like that.
The result, well I am happy so far they needed a bit of wearing in as when new they can confuse the ABS, my thinking is 40 grooves are too many, if I chose again I would go with the 20 groove discs.

Ok now that driving environment and styles.
First Ste's car is garaged when at home, mine live outdoors at all times.
Ste drives a lot more motorway miles than I do, and I drive country A and B roads far more often.
Ste drives differently to me, I am far more demanding of the handling of the car and many people will probably jump up and confirm my commitment to the corners and road "shape". Neither of us have tracked and have been very happy with our brakes up till the end of the discs lives.

My ideal setup would be to replace the calipers with opposing piston calipers which would improve braking and wear on the discs which would be floating discs. I now have the room behind my wheels to be able to do that but it's nigh on impossible to get cable activated handbrake calipers for the back, and really the oem calipers do their jobs VERY well.

So taking the best of what is available in the real world for me;
CRN 20 Groove discs (definitely not drilled) with rust protection
EBC Green Stuff or Yellow Stuff pads
Stainless Braided lines
DOT5.1 fluid.

For a regular trackday car I would possibly think of upgrading the discs, but only if I found the CRNs caused problems.
We can also get refurbished calipers for £75 exchange so that's pretty healthy should I ever need to replace a caliper.

Hopefully that's a picture of my experience and thoughts on what is good on the car.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

JiMR2

Thats jogged my memory some... Cheers Nic!  s:) :) s:)

I have CRN brake discs, grooved with EBC pads (green/red i dunno).

I bought them from CRN's ebay shop for £250 inc delivery! Then got em fitted for £60 then Custard aka Rob fitted em properly for me!   s:D :D s:D  (Cheers Rob!)

Heard of CRN from Les and Nic @ CAE last year i believe...

Sorry for any confusion Wills/any one else :S
AKA Cinnamon Jim

Tags: