After some new brakes

Started by WillsSayers, January 31, 2011, 14:23

WillsSayers

Think I'm going to settle for the EBC Turbo discs at the moment. And yellow stuff pads.

Looking at the EBC shop's page, they have Goodridge braided hoses for £95 for the set. Is this the going rate, or can others be purchased for less?

Also, where cna I buy the motul rbf 600 fluid from, any suggestions?  s:) :) s:)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

aaronjb

A little overpriced for Zinc, cheap for stainless - I'm guessing they're zinc:  m http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Applicati ... 2236-618-C m

Also cheaper here:  m http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/supersearch.a ... odels&pg=2 m

As for the Motul - Opie Oils.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

E

Any good Will  s:D :D s:D  

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Goodridge-Braided ... 3a5ba5d4bb m   s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

Hmm, I'm slightly confused; are the Brakes4U place implying that the stainless steel version are entirely made of stainless, or is it just the connectors? As the EBC shop provides the normal hoses with stainless connectors for £14 more, making them £108 - about £50 cheaper than Brakes4u?

Edit:
Link to EBC shop's braided hoses:
 m http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/toyota-mr ... 225299.htm m

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

WillsSayers

E, sadly can't access that link from work  s:( :( s:(  Will have a butchers tonight.

aaronjb

The hoses are all stainless braided (I think with plastic outer sheathes) but the fittings on the end are either full stainless or mild steel zinc plated - the Demon Tweeks page makes it more explicit. 'EBC Brake Shop' (which isn't EBC, BTW, AFAIK - appears to be run by POTN who I wouldn't touch with a bargepole having heard horror stories) seems oddly cheap for the full stainless fittings version.

I think the POTN horror stories mostly surround stuff that isn't in stock - so I'd phone up and make sure it's in stock before you order.. although the site says it's 'Powered by POTN' so who knows what their real relationship is to them; maybe they just use some branded pre-built webstore.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

E

£65.45 delivered for Zinc plated ones.

WillsSayers

okay the million dollar question: what's the difference between zinc and stainless plated connectors? Simply protection from corrosion? If so, what's the corrosion rate of zinc, and will it be a problem over say, 3 or 4 years of ownership?

E

Stainless will stay looking pretty And smooth and the Zinc plated will go dull and rough but wont shouldn't rust/corrode

E

For a bit more I would choose stainless but for more than twice the price I would go zinc plated

FGrob

Quote from: "WillsSayers"okay the million dollar question: what's the difference between zinc and stainless plated connectors? Simply protection from corrosion? If so, what's the corrosion rate of zinc, and will it be a problem over say, 3 or 4 years of ownership?
Stainless means solid not plated. I've got them, still as good 4 years later.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Mike_V

Will. I think Chris still has a set still for sale.

QuoteGoodridge high performance brakeline kit (never fitted) £60
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

WillsSayers

Cheers Mike, I've popped him a PM!

WillsSayers

Just as an update, I have ordered the following after much deliberation and reading through people's posts:
Motul RBF 600 Fluid
Braided Lines
EBC Yellow Stuff Pads
EBC Slotted Discs

Will hopefully see about getting them hoyed on the car next week, so will let you know how drastic I find the change  s:) :) s:)  Am hoping it'll be quite significant indeed!

normanh

Standard Mr T front pads bought today £27

norman

Ilogik

Keep stock disks, and run carbotech bobcat pads, with some good brake fluid, will poo all over most things  s:) :) s:)
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

muffdan

The carbotech XP8's I have are fantastic. (cheers ilogik)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Ilogik

Best brakes I have used, the XP8 might be a little noisy  for normal road use, do yours squeel a bit at low speed? Mine used to have loads of dust and slight squeal, The bobcats are more of a street/part time track driver, but very good compound/
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

muffdan

yes, there's some noise with them!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

WillsSayers

Bugger, caliper couldn't be freed unsurprisingly, awaiting a new one so will now be mon/tues til I get the car back ;(

andibell

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I replaced the EBC's last year with CRN brakes 40 groove coated discs and greenstuff pads.
Why? Well they're a great price direct from CRN and i figure they'll last at least as long at the oems and EBCs and I will be happy with that.
CRN are also very nice to deal with, friendly and supportive service - it gives me a warm feeling dealing with people like that.
The result, well I am happy so far they needed a bit of wearing in as when new they can confuse the ABS, my thinking is 40 grooves are too many, if I chose again I would go with the 20 groove discs.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but thought I'd let people know - taking Nic's advice, I contacted CRM for a full set of their own 20 groove discs and EBC Yellowstuff pads.

Have to say, I couldn't agree more with how nice and friendly a company they are to deal with and, what's more, they've recently dropped all their prices.

I just bought front & rear discs and pads for £200 delivered, which I think is an absolute bargain.  They should arrive within the next few days, so looking forward to getting them fitted.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

nathanMR2

Question is which pads should you go for?

Greenstuff
Yellow Stuff
Red Stuff
Black Stuff

And so on??

Im going to have to replace my pads and discs before Germany. Ive been running Greenstuff which ive found good but ive not had anything to compare them with really.  Any views?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Question is which pads should you go for?

Greenstuff
Yellow Stuff
Red Stuff
Black Stuff

And so on??

I'm going to have to replace my pads and discs before Germany. Ive been running Greenstuff which ive found good but ive not had anything to compare them with really.  Any views?

from my experiances the crn disks with the ebc black stuff is really good. brakes are sharper but still have variance so you still got gentle braking setting. also the pads are even after 10,000 miles are still as good as new so ware wise excellent.

FGrob

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Question is which pads should you go for?

Greenstuff
Yellow Stuff
Red Stuff
Black Stuff

And so on??

I'm going to have to replace my pads and discs before Germany. Ive been running Greenstuff which ive found good but ive not had anything to compare them with really.  Any views?
I've moved on from green to yellow, mainly to reduce dust and get a better resistance to fade on the track. Still get a good bite from cold with them as well.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

onion86

Quote from: "andibell"I just bought front & rear discs and pads for £200 delivered, which I think is an absolute bargain.  They should arrive within the next few days, so looking forward to getting them fitted.
That is a great price, I paid about that for grooved mtec black edition discs and Toyota pads as Yellowstuffs were pushing it up to the £250 mark, I'll have to look at them next time!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Tags: