Toyota MR2 MK3 3 maintenance from day1

Started by Anonymous, February 3, 2011, 11:42

Anonymous

Hello, i am new to this forum but i thought i would start a new topic with an obviouse title as i find information in forums is usually availible but in such confusing threads it would be great if the thread titles were straight to the point.

Can anyone assist in what a new MR2 MK3 owner should know and do to their car to keep them in optimum condition, i have heard people say things like the oil should be changed every 3 months because the engine is alluminium, its things like this i would like to clear up the fact from fiction.

Toplesscouple

Hi Beanyjon,

Just down the road from you in Rugby. We're new to the joys of roadster ownership ourselves so can't offer much advice.

Have you got a Mk3 or are you thinking of getting one?

MR04CAZ

Hey guys,

Welcome to the site.

I think what you have heard is a myth I have had my MR2 Mk3 for nearly a year and really it's the same as any other car , regular services needed at the interval stated ( every ten thousand miles ) you can use normal octane 95 fuel unleaded and I would recommend if your car hasn't had a service recently to get this done to change the Oil filter and gear box oil and air filters. Japanese cars in general are excellent with diagnostics so unless you have any warning lights don't worry just enjoy your new car !

Hope this helps
Caz x x

scipio

hi Beanyjon

If you had been reading this forum you must have come across the pre-cat issue.  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   In my mind this is the most critical thing all MR2 owners should know. Get those pre-cats out now!
Happy motoring!
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

Anonymous

Fatbloater

I must say when I get a new car I always like to change the oil and filter with decent oil. That way you know what's in it.
Also worth checking the air filter to see if its been changed and checking the spark plugs for condition.

That way you have the 3 basic elements of the internal combustion engine covered....suck, slide, bang.

Rude comments invited   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

Ilogik

every 10k seems a bit too much, I try and do it every 3-4k with a fully synthetic oil, 5w-30 Silkolean pro is my oil of choice.  Depends how hard you drive the car I guess, for the cost of oil id rather change it more often than not.

New airfilter if the old one is rotten, maybe fuel filter too for piece of mind if its a new car, new spark plugs, really depends on the state of it. I had a full coolant flush and new coolant recently  just so I knew it was fresh and clean for the harsh cold we had. Few people got some nasty shocks when their coolant froze recently, so always worth getting it changed if you don't know, old owner might have been lazy and topped up with water.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

cclarke99

Personally I'd just stick to the Toyota service schedule. This isn't a race engine, just an ordinary lump that's found in a lot of ordinary cars, that's one of the good things about the MR2. If whoever you bought it from didn't service it, then (as suggested in the post above) get it serviced so you know where you arer starting from for future maintenance. Personally I'd get the emissions checked (if it's not been done). It seems a good idea to remove the pre-cats (although you should budget for at least one oxygen sensor replacement as part of this). Other than that just take it to your friendly local garage for it's service every year and enjoy it in the meantime.

scipio

Have a full service done - regardless of mileage (I bought mine at 44k km's)  - then stick to the service schedule. Use the right oil....the guys before me have said it all. Keep reading the forum..... I have been blown away by the knowledge, information and enthusiasm of the members. I there's anything you want to know about your car, it's available right here.
Hail the Forum!  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for the info guys! the pre-Cat issue really is an eye opener!
is there any more things a new MR2 owner should be aware of or do?
Yes i have an 03 MR2 MK3 which ive had for about 2 months now and am really chuffed with it.

roger

Don't be worrying too much about pre-cat. It is the 2s achilles heel, but nothing to the MGF head gasket, for example.

Coventry, my old stomping ground   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Anyways we could always have a meet up (a new Banbury member has come on as well), at say M40 warwick services. It would be so much easier to chat over things than post or link to what maybe reams of stuff that doesn't interest anybody.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "roger"Coventry, my old stomping ground   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Anyways we could always have a meet up (a new Banbury member has come on as well), at say M40 warwick services. It would be so much easier to chat over things than post or link to what maybe reams of stuff that doesn't interest anybody.

Muffdan mentioned trying to get a local meet for the Warks, Oxfordshire and Northampton members. We'd be up for a meet although only on a weekend.

Tags: