Clutch change at home

Started by Anonymous, February 12, 2011, 15:07

Anonymous

Hello everyone has anyone done a clutch change at home, ive changed ones on other cars but never on a Mr2, anything i should know? thanks

Cap

I did a Transmission and Clutch Change in my Garage..  First time on a MRs..  took about 4-5 Housr out, and about the Same time In..  Most of the Time was spent finding where all the Stuff is to pull.  

Here is a link from SC on the Trans Removal..
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... on-Removal m

I did not need to remove the Axle Nut..  left the Axles in the Wheels..  I did not even need to pull the Wheels..  

Here is my link on the Tranny Swap..  

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... highlight= m

Cap

loadswine

I want to say a big thank you to Cap for his excellent write up on transmission removal for changing the clutch. It was most helpful, especially the cargo strap procedure. I've changed clutches, gearboxes and engines on the Roadster before, all over at Markiii's where there the facilities are top notch, and always in good spannering company, but I managed this clutch change on my driveway, completely on my own.
Guiding the box back onto the engine is a little tricky, and that's where I damaged my oil seal I think, but take your time and job's a good 'un!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

loadswine

couple of pics of job in progress

and one showing those nasty gear cable clips

the stock clutch in situ

and on the table next to the new one

old friction plate

new friction plate

old and new pressure plates side by side

Probably of no interest to anyone, but I haven't seen that many pics of the worn items before, so if its of use to only one person, that'll do.

jeffridj

Very useful, wanted to know how much clearance between rivet tops and friction surface on a new clutch.
I can see now, thanks.
Dave

zen200

Quote from: "Cap"I did a Transmission and Clutch Change in my Garage..  First time on a MRs..  took about 4-5 Housr out, and about the Same time In..  Most of the Time was spent finding where all the Stuff is to pull.  

Here is a link from SC on the Trans Removal..
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... on-Removal m

I did not need to remove the Axle Nut..  left the Axles in the Wheels..  I did not even need to pull the Wheels..  

Here is my link on the Tranny Swap..  

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... highlight= m

Cap

Sorry to bring up this old post but I am wondering if there is a post with info as good as this for a 6 Speed Box ?

Or is the above procedure exactly the same for both 5 and 6 speed clutch replacements ?

Thanks for any replies.

Wabbitkilla

Exactly the same matey, the 6 speed is just a slightly different shape
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Exactly the same matey, the 6 speed is just a slightly different shape

You do need to drop the engine down a little further, I've found (or rather, tilt it down, dangling it off the drivers side mount) as the 6 speed box is about 1.5" longer than the 5 speed.. but other than that yep, identical. Oh, the 6 speed is a tad heavier when you're lugging it around, too.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

zen200

Thank you very much guys.

loadswine

For info the box in those pics above is a 6 speed unit.

onion86

Hmm looks like that would be a fun weekend, SC guide is great. I'll probably have to do it once I destroy the stock clutch in my new car (although it was replaced in 2010) when the turbo has been on a few months in the summer and nice to know I can probably save on £200 labour  s;) ;) s;)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Im planning to swap the box on my project as soon as it stops piggin raining!

Tags: