SMT Hydraulic Fluid Spec

Started by DAZ400, March 28, 2004, 22:35

DAZ400

As in the title does anyone know the SMT Hydraulic Fluid Spec, as in the manuals I have it is always described as SMT Fluid. Also you try and find a Mr T who first can grasp what you are asking for, and then who has some in stock.

I don't know what Mr T would actually do if it was needed to be topped up in a service.........  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

markiii

I beleive it's just standard power steering fluid, though I could be wrong.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

It's definately NOT power steering fluid - that will damage the seals in the pump which is what MrT suspects caused the pump in my first car to fail.

In terms of getting hold of this stuff, it took Toyota GB nearly 3 weeks to get the damned stuff from Japan when my pump failed a couple of years ago. AFAIK there is no alternative (there probably is, but MrT wont give out the specs so you've got no chance)

If it needs topping up at a service then there is something wrong elsewhere - the pressures involved with the SMT system are so massive that it only takes a tiny leak in one of the seals and all of the fluid escapes in a very short time.

DAZ400

Have not got a problem with the pressure part, but had a hole in the the white resovoir tank and lost some fluid have repaired tank and now just need a top up.

So yours was fixed so that means in bedford they might have some fluid left over ?
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

dreambackup

Bouncing back on that topic...

it's pretty incredible that NO TIMED SERVICE PROCEDURE exists on that fluid.

Even at regulars services, no Toyota mechanics is advised to check the levels. of course, they won't check by themselves since it's hidden under the air box...

yesterday, my car started to act weird (stalling in S mode at a complete stop, grinding when not shifting at synchronized rpm, etc...). of course, no CEL...

it take no degree to understand the clutch is not completly disengaged causing all the trouble. well, that would be simple logic to check the levels of the SMT fluid. not to a Toyota mechanics who doesn't even know there's a fluid involved in the process (I didn't know God and Toyota were so close to make our cars work "just like that").

so, after 1 hour explaining THERE IS a fluid reservoir, THERE IS a level to check, he finally agreed that could be the case. A quick search online (God bless the marketing dummy at Toyota who decided to put internet access in the waiting lounge, I checked from there, the guys was amazed how efficient it is to look at our forums!!!). to make it short, we checked the levels... low. very low. 1cm under minimum at least...

hurray for internet.

f**k, I forgot I was dealing with Toyota. so the reference number the US use for the SMT fluid is not valid here in Europe. at least not in France.

I called Toyota France (what a joke but at least the guy over the phone pretends he knows what he is talking about... and feels well trained when you explain your problem "a MR-S? ok, yes SMT, of course, uh uh, yes, mmmh, it stalls in "S" when at a complete stop, ok, nope, not normal", etc... until he asks the wrong question... "it's a diesel, right?")

anyone has an idea about that part number for the SMT Fluid?
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

markiii

can't find it in the parts catalogue
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dreambackup

ok... I did not get the part number for the fluid... yet. but I'll keep you posted since my favorite Toyota dealer said he found it (well, I have to admit my lack of faith in the same guy who was about to top the SMT fluid tank with standard brake fluid  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  after smelling the tip of the dirty finger he put inside the tank  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).

there seem to be a complete procedure to top the tank (having to do with releasing the pressure before doing anything). I'll tell you all about that too when they can take care of my car (that should be by the end of the week).

more knowledge to come about SMT  s8) 8) s8)  

oh, and by the way, there IS a way to make the clutch work faster than "stock" by tweaking the SMT ECU correctly, I have done many thinks today trying to "teach" it to clutch & declutch correctly (including driving at precise speeds in specific gears, waiting for the ECU to adapt, etc...). I spent 2 hours doing that today with the diag device plugged in trying to do what it was asking!!!

of course, for now, I have the fastest shifting SMT of the world (since it performs half of the clutching due to a lack of pressure... that speed could make me forget the grinding sounds between 1st and 2nd though  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).

y'all jealous, right?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

According to Dingles Toyota in Attleborough (Norfolk)
the part number for the hydraulic fluid for the SMT box is : 0888602206

They also have it in stock you can reach them on 01953 458200
if this is any help   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

dreambackup

well... Toyota in my city couldn't find anything with that part number... but they say they found it anyway a few hours later. I guess they either have a new reference or have typed the wrong part number the first time...

thanks for you'll help... in less than 48 hours now, I'll be able to tell you more (I keep my fingers crossed, though!).

Anonymous

Quote from: "dreambackup"oh, and by the way, there IS a way to make the clutch work faster than "stock" by tweaking the SMT ECU correctly, I have done many thinks today trying to "teach" it to clutch & declutch correctly (including driving at precise speeds in specific gears, waiting for the ECU to adapt, etc...). I spent 2 hours doing that today with the diag device plugged in trying to do what it was asking!!!

Any more information on this?

I have a VAG-COM system which allows me to tweak many settings on Audis - it also has a generic OBD mode which allows me to talk to the diagnostics on the MR2.

dreambackup

not much: you plug the official Toyota device, you try and find the menu where it offers to calibrate the clutch and... well, that's pretty all there is to do.

maybe there is more but I haven't actually seen it (yet).

Yoyota still hasn't received the SMT fluid... I just hope the leak is not too important... I just cross my fingers to be able to drive it while they wait for more parts (if there is a leak, I suspect it'll need replacement)...

dreambackup

OK. I just got back from Toyota. we filled the tank with the said fluid (the reference was the right one but they're stupid and can't enter a part number correctly).

the problem remains and, of course, they needed more time for a complete diagnostic. Since they filled the tank "just like that" (I heard there is a procedure), I really think there still is something to do...

I'll keep you posted!

Anonymous

sorry to dig out an old thread but i've seen that there's a SMT fluid indeed on the Toyota catalogue. few questions here.

1) SMT fluid comes in 1L. Does this mean that the hydraulic pump only requires 1L?

2) Is there even a gearbox oil (Toyota ATF) in our car? do we have to change that?

3) Where is the hydraulic pump located. Under the airbox?

Tags: