Advice on servicing/repairs/spending my money!

Started by ad_car_08, February 24, 2011, 15:00

ad_car_08

Hi all,

Long time no speak, I know... I strayed to the dark side by being tempted by a bike so have been focusing on 2 wheeled travel, forgetting that I already own a fantastic car.

So, I'm looking at splurging the cash I'd earmarked for a bike, on my car – it needs it and sure as hell deserved it in all fairness! She's looking a bit tired and needs some TLC!
I've got a budget of strictly no more than £1500 to pay for some repairs, which thankfully is more a case of prevention than cure!

I've tried to draw up a bit of a list, but although I'm handy with the spanners, I don't profess to be a qualified mechanic so I'm conscious I might've totally overlooked something.

-   I'm popping a new clutch near the top of the list, as, although it's not slipping drastically yet, gear change is getting a little sloppy/less crisp on clutch release and it's probably about due as there's just shy of 120k on the clock!
I'll also replace the original gear shifter bushes with brass ones too while I'm at it.

-   I'm certain that the suspension hasn't been touched since the car first rolled off the production line, so I've priced up some new shocks from cheaptoyotaparts (http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=148&Itemid=71) - £278.98 for all 4.
Do springs age? Would it be worth my while getting new ones?? Perhaps some TTE or Tein jobbys? ...if my existing ones are likely to still be alright, I sharn't bother replacing them.

-   I noticed the front ARB is hella rusty when I replaced my steering UV joint, so I'm guessing it might be a good idea to replace both front and back. Che about the best bang for buck?? I don't want to spend silly money if I don't have to!

-   With replacing the ARBs and suspension, I obviously need to replace the bushes too...plus I read about drop links and track rod ends... How far do you go before necessity turns into extravagance/not needed?!

I've replaced the cam chain tensioner and obviously changed the oil (+filter), cleaned the MAF sensor and K&N air filter fairly regularly, replaced the sparks...is there anything I should think about doing to prolong the life of the engine?

If all goes well, I'm hoping to have enough money left over to complete the process and treating her to a new set of rims, so don't go spending my money all at once!  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Any recommendations??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

loadswine

I'd go for refurbed wheels, rather than a new set of wheels to be the most cost effective. you might want to consider the FK Automotive springs that Prolex sell, as they are a reasonable price and those that have fitted them seem pleased so far. Maybe even consider a set of Koni shocks if you are treating the suspension. If you are going to be putting in a new clutch, the opportunity is there for a light weight flywheel, a very nice mod if the opportunity comes up.
I've not tried many aftermarket ARBs, but the stock items do tend to rust a bit, but if they work okay, you can clean them up and hammerite them. If you want new ones though, others will be along to tell you what they think. I had Cusco uprated arbs on my last 2 and they did give nicer handling in my opinion.
Maybe pop on a set of braided brake lines if you would like a more responsive feel to the brakes.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

ad_car_08

Thanks for your recommendation/advice Loadswine!!

Ah! braided hoses, I'd not thought of that! good call sir.

With regards to the wheels, they're bottom of the priority list (no point in having a good looking car that you can't drive anywhere, eh?!), but I did have my existing set refurbed about 18months ago, and they look quite tired already. The powdercoat has hairline cracks, some bits have flaked off...so they do need attention, but like I say, they're not priority, just something I'm quite keen to see to as they're letting the whole appearance of the car down at the moment!

I half thought about the light-weight flywheel as I read that when you change the clutch, it's the best time to get one fitted....and it would be rather snazzy to get one fitted  s;-) ;-) s;-)   However, I'm trying to keep very focused on making sure I replace parts to increase the life of my car. Once I have all those bases covered, then I might start thinking about modifications
[/size]

Anonymous

At 120,000 miles I would put some of that money away for a facelift engine for when this one goes pop.

ad_car_08

really!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

thought these engines went on for ages if they were looked after?!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
[/size]

frogger

s:) :) s:)

ad_car_08

...what's so funny??
[/size]

frogger

When it comes to design / longlevity - You'd have a hard job to find a modern engine as bad as the early 1ZZ's.
(I guess the rover K series comes close?). When they're going good they'r great, but when they go they'r gone!

From the last 6 months...

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32472 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32670 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23281 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32629 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32456 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32181 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31820 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30803 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30812 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31615 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31566 l
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31138 l     s:( :( s:(  

...And so the trend continues all the way back to '99!

Thats not to say your engine is going to go pop. If it's showing no signs then don't worry bout it.
And if it does go pop, fit a real engine instead   s8) 8) s8)  I won't be making the mistake of fitting another 1ZZ lol

ad_car_08

so basically, it might pay me to buy a bike to reduce the use/amount of commuting miles in my mr2 then!!
[/size]

loadswine

Not every single pre facelift 2 goes pop in disastrous fashion. Some have huge mileages, but I don't know what the secret is. Some go for ages, even with turbo kits bolted on, so some must be okay for a good old time. If anyone can discover the secret of why some last and some don't, that would be interesting.  s:) :) s:)

ad_car_08

so advise against spending too much on the car then :S

thought i'd see how much i could get with £3000 towards a car, but seems thats not enough these days!!  s:( :( s:(
[/size]

loadswine

You can always try and do the maths of what you could sell yours for and then add in to buy another one. Not completely sure of how much you'd get for yours though, but a decent running engine, even with high mileage has to be worth something. It all depends on your long term strategy for the car. If the car is running well and using no oil, you may be able to freshen the engine up to last a few thousand miles more, just like Ste did on his, and he's running a powerful turbo as well!

uktotty

Quote from: "life of bryan"At 120,000 miles I would put some of that money away for a facelift engine for when this one goes pop.
My engine has 115k and is fine and dandy, if and when i goes, worry about it then

ad_car_08

Quote from: "loadswine"You can always try and do the maths of what you could sell yours for and then add in to buy another one. Not completely sure of how much you'd get for yours though, but a decent running engine, even with high mileage has to be worth something. It all depends on your long term strategy for the car. If the car is running well and using no oil, you may be able to freshen the engine up to last a few thousand miles more, just like Ste did on his, and he's running a powerful turbo as well!

Hmm...thought exactly the same.
I know it's slightly cliche' and no one on here is about to slate their MR2, but I really love the car! (in the non-weird sense of the word of course!) I've not owned anything like it, and no other car I've had has even come close to giving the amount of enjoyment I get from driving my MR2!!
I think this 'decision' is coming to light because it's over 10yrs old now and definitely showing signs that it's not as young and tight (oo err   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) as it used to be.

I'm aware that 120,000 miles is quite a lot - I've just got the niggle that things are really going to start going wrong now, hence the point of this topic, to discuss the best way of preventing failure before something goes pear shaped and I'm left with no transport and a huge mechanic's invoice!!

2000 reg MR2 roadsters with 100+ thousand miles seem to be going for peanuts these days unfortunately (the optimist in me thought that they might hold their price, being a sought after convertible, particular in the eyes of the younger market) so I'd at least have £3k (1.5k from the car, 1.5k cash injection).......but that doesn't even get you a post 03 '2 or a decent diesel for that price!!   s:( :( s:(
[/size]

2003bluecat

As nothing is wrong yet how about just holding onto your money? If, or when, the engine goes £1500 would see you right, maybe with enough for suspension and clutch too. Or you could even stick a different type of engine in.
You could of course do all this now, and to be honest I think that's going to be the best option with £1500 to preserve the life of your car, otherwise you're throwing money at an engine that has the potential to fail soon.
But if I was you I would keep your money and enjoy it, knowing if it does go you have enough spare cash to bring it back to life  s:) :) s:)

griff

May be if and when the engine does go, why not just buy another one with lower mileage, but  of the same age. Scrap your car and sell the bits. Or keep the bits for the new car.I've seen so any really cheap good example early cars.All very clean.
I know it is a risk with the oval bore etc, but the rest of the car does seem to really hold up and not cause problems.
51 plate silver MR2 roadster. Red cloth interior. Standard car. Pre-cats removed.

Tags: