Gutting the pre-cats

Started by Anonymous, March 30, 2004, 08:59

Anonymous

Ive read i few engine problems on this site and it all seems down to the pre-cats (or thats what i can make out)

as ive not got very much knowledge in engines i dont even know what the pre-cats do   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

it seems that is has been mentioned to gut the pre-cats to prevent any futre problems.

so if i gut the pre-cats what advantages and disadvantages are there??

has anybody done this?? if so is the car still running ok??

how hard is this to do??

thanks

Alan

markiii

easy to do,

remogve manifold, and knock out teh honeycomber with a screwdriver or similar.

downsides, none that I can see. You may need to get warm before emissions test. Personal experience I doubt it.

Upsides, remove biggest chance for engien to go bang.

reason for being there, to ensure exhaust gasses are clean before main cat is up to operating temp.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

what i dont understand is if its just a case of removing the honeycomber then why does it cause engine faults?? cos surely when it cracks and breaks up its just doing the same thing as removing it??

Alan

Anonymous

When you remove the precats yourself you will remove the honeycomb stuff... when it does it itself the bits of precat 'could' get sucked back into your engine which is where the damage is caused (im sure mark will explain it better than me  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ).

Anonymous

oh right i see.

all starting to make sense.

as anybody on here gutted the pre-cats??

i think i will ask for a 2nd opinion from my local garage (as the do my MOT) just to see what they think of the idea.

Anonymous

I'm seriously thinking of doing this too, as my 2000 has just come up to 50k, and I'm not going to be in any position to sell it on for a while.. the last thing I want is to pay for an engine rebuild due to the pre-cats breaking up!

Doesn't sound like something I want to attempt myself however, what do people think the chances are of convincing a local garage to do the deed? Any chance of further problems caused by someone hacking the manifold around?!   s:? :? s:?  

I'm almost tempted to let sleeping dogs lie though... sound reckless?!

Cheers,
Tim

markiii

pretty much as Kris said, If the precat disintegrates in situ, it will either get sucked back into the cylinder or drop down into the main cat.

neither are good news.

as for a local garage doing it. Iwouldn't think a Toyota dealer will want to oblige, but a local garage should be ok.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

so that's all thats in it then? just removing the honycomb? i thought i would need a different manifold that didnt use the pre-cats and hooked up straight to the main cat!

markiii

imagine a normal manifold made up of 4 pipes that then go into 2 pipes.

it;s the main cat pipe where they go from 2 to 1 pipe.

now at the 4 to 2 junction imagine the pipes going into a baked bean can.

the can is filled with honeycombe. All your going to do is knock out the contents.

Anonymous

but surley if you knock out the contents, they will be siting at the bottom of the pre-cats and can still disintegrate and be sucked back into the engine?

is there anyone who has done this on here yet? im really tempted as im out of warranty

markiii

think of teh bean can as an open can with honeycombe suspended across it. You will of course need to remove the manifold to do this. Then teh contents will drop out onto the floor.

Anonymous

i too am seriously thinking about doing this but would feel much better if somebody has already attempted this and been successful

markiii

there have been many in the US that have done this. Once out of warranty, I will either fit a header, the turbo if it's ready or gut mine.

GSB

I'm gutting mine as soon as I can be bothered to strip the manifold out. Warranty or no warranty, it's got to be done really. If it came to it, there will always be someone on here I can buy, beg, borrow or steal a stock manifold from for warranty purposes.

Plus, with a unichip pending, (never seem to have the time though  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) I'd rather have the exhaust in a de-catted condition so the mapping is done correctly.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

fancy offering a swap out facility if we can find a spare manifold? once we have one gutted could run an exchange program?

Anonymous

that idea sounds good to me

GSB

As in, we send off a gutted, cleaned and particulate free manifold, in exchange for one with pre-cats, so that there is always a decent manifold somewhere that can be got at quickly if the need arises? Not a bad idea...

I did have a used manifold coming in, but the guy who was selling it was a total messer, and never answers his phone...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

Adam has a spare if he could be persuaded to allow it's use.

Anonymous

this is beginning to sound better and better. makes perfect sense for all concerned to have a normal one on standby.

Slacey

Sounds good to me. I'd gut mine now if we could organise an exchange facility.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

aaronjb

Ditto.

Perfectly willing to help anyone out who doesn't want to take their own manifold off etc too.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mph

markiii: just because you have my manifold, doesn't mean you can practise on it.   s:x :x s:x    s:!: :!: s:!:  

While I'm running the turbo, I have no need of the stock manifold, which can be considered 'spare' if one were needed.

Personally I think taking a screwdriver to the pre-CATs isn't going to be (easy) enough to be able to remove all of them well enough to be effective. Still, that's not my problem   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'd much rather just go for a replacement 4-2-1 instead.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Count me in, I am thinking of doing this precedure next week if the weather is good, If I could recieve a pre gutted Cat that woud be fantastic, then I would simply swap them and gut mine to send on.

If you want a clearer understanding of the process why not visit Spyderchat.com?

Anonymous

Quote from: "keninski"i too am seriously thinking about doing this but would feel much better if somebody has already attempted this and been successful

I have done it.

More torque, small gain in hps.

Anonymous

This sounds very promising, I think I'm going to have to do it soon!

Is there any chance somone could post up some kind of tutorial, possibly with pictures - or a link they've found on Spyderchat?

I'd be much more confident in taking the car to pieces if I had a better idea which bolts were likely to shear off, or what tools were best to remove all of the pre-cats..?

Cheers!
Tim

Tags: