Gutting the pre-cats

Started by Anonymous, March 30, 2004, 08:59

Anonymous

I've still got my manifold. So if someone wants it too knock the crap out of it for a replacement, or keep it spare as the pre-cats are still intact, then it's yours. Not going to need it again, just kept it cause i hate throwing things out.  s:D :D s:D

Tem

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"Is there any chance somone could post up some kind of tutorial, possibly with pictures - or a link they've found on Spyderchat?

I'd be much more confident in taking the car to pieces if I had a better idea which bolts were likely to shear off, or what tools were best to remove all of the pre-cats..?

There's an article on  w www.spydermagazine.com w  about removing the stock manifold (and installing a PPE), that should give you an idea what you're looking at.

Once you have the manifold off, just push anything through the cat comb and scrape it off, it shouldn't be a big deal. You probably won't find a post in SC about gutting them, cause it seems to be a no-no to say out loud over there. Only some posts about accidental insertion of crowbar etc  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"I've still got my manifold. So if someone wants it too knock the crap out of it for a replacement, or keep it spare as the pre-cats are still intact, then it's yours. Not going to need it again, just kept it cause i hate throwing things out.  s:D :D s:D

You have PM...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"I think taking a screwdriver to the pre-CATs isn't going to be (easy) enough to be able to remove all of them well enough to be effective. Still, that's not my problem   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'd much rather just go for a replacement 4-2-1 instead.

how much would this option be??

Slacey

Quote from: "keninski"
Quote from: "mph"I think taking a screwdriver to the pre-CATs isn't going to be (easy) enough to be able to remove all of them well enough to be effective. Still, that's not my problem   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I'd much rather just go for a replacement 4-2-1 instead.

Expensive... unfortunately there is no such thing as a cheap header  s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "keninski"

Expensive... unfortunately there is no such thing as a cheap header  s:( :( s:(

shame.

looks like gutting is the only affordable option then

GSB

Quote from: "keninski"how much would this option be??

Using the mystical powers of :

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... rd+headers m

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... fold+price m

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... fold+price m

If you do a seach on Manifold OR header you'll get a whole load of info regarding the relative merits of different designs from TRD, Top Secret, PPE, PPE "rocket", H&S and probably a few others too....
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: