"sluggish" or "not so racy"

Started by Anonymous, March 9, 2011, 14:45

Anonymous

Hi!

Iám Per from Sweden and I have owned my MR2 for 10 months now, most of the time it has been in the garage due to Swedish winter but it passed the Swedish MOT last weekend with flying colours!. The engine has been changed on warrenty and I myself gutted two perfectly pre-cats earlier this winter so that is not an issue. The car handles fantastic sitting on a complete Eibach-chassis with stiffer roll-bars and small spacers behind std wheels BUT it´s not that fun to rev....  maybe the engine torque-curve should be this way and it´s all fine but to me it feels like it´s better to change earlier than later if you catch my drift. How high are you guys revving your std MR2´´s ? My car has original airbox and exhaust and will ofcours sound better after a change but will that help up the true sportiness or just the "ear" ??? It feel like it´s in need of better breathing, better cams or even a better timing.....the engines has been in use for roughly 30000 km and is using "no" oil.

//Best regards, Per

E

when the Engine was replaced did they replace the main cat, if not they should have done as it will most likely be blocked with all that oil etc. and that would certainly restrict performance and eventually I think kill the replacement Engine.

Anonymous

Might be a point there! I did not own the car at the time and I, since it´s an import from Germany, will have a hard time to figure it out. Maybe time for some sirious plumbing just to find out ??

/Per

frogger

You can check the back pressure via the o2 sensor socket - this will tell you whether the cat is blocked, and is easier than removing the cat and getting it bench tested for flow!

Options are ring around local garages to see who has the kit, or buy a kit from tinternet

QuoteHow high are you guys revving your std MR2's ?

Rev the b**locks off it - it's the only way to drive an MR2  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Theres a lot to be said for 'stage 0' refreshing - plugs, filters, maf clean, reset ecu.. and give it a drive again.

Fatbloater

Driving normally I don't go over 3000 revs.
But soon, when the sun comes out, the road is windy and petrol prices drop - 6000 revs   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(Petrol price thing might be a tad optimistic !)
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

K T M Rider

Quote from: "persalls"Hi!

. How high are you guys revving your std MR2´´s ?

//Best regards, Per

been a while since I've driven mine, but it should rev cleanly all the way to the redline and pull more strongly the higher you rev.

Mine didn't untill I changed the MAF.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Anonymous

Hi!

I do not have the equimpent to messure pressure losses and KTM, you say you changed the MAF, what about cleaning ? did you have a faulty one whithout any CEL or didn´t you bother to clean it? The reset is just a "battery off" for an hour or so, right? I guess most of you guys live in UK, where do you shop for perfomance parts? In Sweden it´s all about turbo-models so nearly nothing is available locally!

//Bets regards, Per

Anonymous

another thougt!, how do I check the VVTI-function, is there a noticable difference when it "kicks in" ?

//Nest regards, Per

K T M Rider

Quote from: "persalls"Hi!

I do not have the equimpent to messure pressure losses and KTM, you say you changed the MAF, what about cleaning ? did you have a faulty one whithout any CEL or didn´t you bother to clean it? The reset is just a "battery off" for an hour or so, right? I guess most of you guys live in UK, where do you shop for perfomance parts? In Sweden it´s all about turbo-models so nearly nothing is available locally!

//Bets regards, Per

Yes I tried cleaning it first, but was no better (perhaps I didn't clean it very well)

Of course you should try cleaning yours first though !

I wrote about it in this thread:

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28356&p=362308#p362308 l

just a thought, perhaps if you can get your car on a Dyno without too much expense, you will get a better idea of if the engine is performing properly (when compared to the quoted Torque and Power curves for the stock engine).
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

mrzwei

You should be able to hit 0-62  (MPH) in around 8 or 9 seconds which means almost the red line in every gear on a flat road, no wind. Others may modify that figure because it's from memory.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

I read in a different thread that the VVTI manly contributes in the lower-rev area, is that so for a fact because, if so, the car runs strong and steady with just a "boring" feel. The weather is not nice here today so I will wait and maybe pamper with some oil and plugs.... which is the best speedshop for us i UK?

/Per

bigwillcv36

Quote from: "mrzwei"You should be able to hit 0-62  (MPH) in around 8 or 9 seconds which means almost the red line in every gear on a flat road, no wind. Others may modify that figure because it's from memory.

It doesn't feel like it takes that long!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I reach 60mph comfortably (around 6000rpm) in second.... so i don't have to go through many gears to get there.

It feels to me that the real power starts at about 4500rpm (and if I pop it into 3rd just before I hit 6000rpm it drops it right on the button for a good smooth and fast push to 70mph (which I wouldn't exceed on the roads, obviously).
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

aglassinthesink

Official figures are 7.8 to 60 but I read in a thread about a month ago someone who had their 2006 standard car timed at 6.75 on a strip
-Paul

[size=85]2006 Toyota mr2 in silver. K&N 57i Gen 2, JDM badge and a blingy engine bay[/size]

frogger

Quote from: "persalls"another thougt!, how do I check the VVTI-function, is there a noticable difference when it "kicks in" ?

//Nest regards, Per

Acronyms aside, IIRC the VVTi OCV throws a CEL if its malfunctioning.
There will no doubt be a way of checking the V across it, the Pos. of the valve etc...
But I am no expert on that by a long way so IDK!

After you've checked all the things stated above, I do like the rolling road idea - not that it's my preferred way of diagnosing a problem, but it would tell you once and for all whether there IS actually a problem or not, or whether you're just in need of a turbo conversion to satisfy for NFS   s8) 8) s8)  lol

Anonymous

Hi guys!

Quick update!, New plugs,NGK needless to say!, ECU-reset, and I do beleive it runs like it should, I think turbo-conversion might be the cure  :-) :-) :-) . I trade this car last year from a Subaru type-r and ofcours they are not comparable but I would have loved "some of it"....  anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

//Best regards, Per

bigwillcv36

The na '2 hasn't got the grunt of a turbo (obviously), but the engine is very "eager" and as long as you use the revs right is a thoroughly rewarding drive.
A turbo would be nice tho!  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

steve b

I think its the distinct lack of torque with the MR2 engine, looking at my speedo my car accelerates all fine - well as expected, but if I wasn't looking at the speedo I'd think its horribly slow, it doesn't seem to pull hard at any point in the rev range.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

FGrob

I don't have time to look at the speedo, more worried about hitting the limiter, a decent set-up N/A will give you loads of enjoyment without the lag.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Tags: