MR2 Mk 3 front tyre wear

Started by Anonymous, March 30, 2004, 14:48

Anonymous

I have a 2002 Mk 3. I have bridgestone potenza tyres. I have notices the inside blocks on the inside (inboard) of the tyres are wearing away far quicker than the rest of the tyre. I have had the 4 wheels alignment checked many times at different places but its always spot on.

Has anyone else notices unusual tyre wear on there tyres of this type? It is worse on the drivers side.

Anonymous

What kind of allignment did you have done? Just the tracking or did it check for everything like the camber setup etc?

markiii

front or rears?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"front or rears?

[whisper] Psst, Mark, look at the title of the original post..  s:D :D s:D  [/whisper]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

aha  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

And no doubt you'll start getting the knocking/clonking noise soon....but that's another story   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"What kind of allignment did you have done? Just the tracking or did it check for everything like the camber setup etc?

I have been having 4 wheel laser alignment. All looked very hi tech with computer screens etc.

Is it something that i would expect from rear drive car??

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"What kind of allignment did you have done? Just the tracking or did it check for everything like the camber setup etc?

it checked the camber, slip angle caster the lot. All in limits

markiii

the rears yes, teh fronts less so.

However I would suggest it's due to the amount of neg camber up front. Within spec is a bit misleading as you could drive a bus through toyotas acceptabel spec range it's soooo wide.

If it is the reason they could reduce the amount of camber up front and probably still be within specs. It wil however change teh way teh car drives, whether for the better or worse only you will know.

Anonymous

You guys seen the negative camber on an F1 car?

IMH(and not very educated)O, I reckon the negative camber on the fronts helps the tyres "bite in" on when cornering.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"You guys seen the negative camber on an F1 car?

IMH(and not very educated)O, I reckon the negative camber on the fronts helps the tyres "bite in" on when cornering.

my car does turn in well and handles exceletly. I have recently increased the front pressures to around 29PSI . makes front drift slightly under prolonged cornering with power on.

mph

Quote from: "tucker"
Quote from: "phil4"You guys seen the negative camber on an F1 car?

my car does turn in well and handles exceletly. I have recently increased the front pressures to around 29PSI . makes front drift slightly under prolonged cornering with power on.
Given our rather dated suspension geometry setup, -ve camber is only as beneficial as the cornering load put through it. At all other times, it's not really a very good thing. I've you've got excessive -ve camber I suspect you will get pretty good cornering characteristics, especially if you have a maintained a stock suspension setup.

A combination of -ve camber, toe out and under-inflation can all mount up to excess inner edge wear. I suggest posting your actual alignment levels (did you say you had an '03 or pre '03?) and we can all give you some conflicting information based on our interpretations of it.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "lilylaville"And no doubt you'll start getting the knocking/clonking noise soon....but that's another story   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

is this something to do with the wear then as l believe i have just started to experience the clonking and my frounts are worn in this way !

Anonymous

Possibly....check my thread 'knocking on full lock' as this has been covered many times before   s:D :D s:D  

The good guys on here were a great help and I'm sure that Markiii could recommend you buy new Toyo Proxes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Inside wear on the fronts in normal, as said above the front wheels are toed in (i.e when going stright the tyres run on the inner edges)

The reason, better grip in the corners.  The Mk3 only has one normal setting, where as the previous models had various settings.

You should look ot get between 15 - 20 k out of the fronts under normal use conditions.....

THe first time I came to change mine, I thought, bloody hell, but the mechanic was unconcerned and told me I'd done well to get 20k out of them.

It's a caracteristic of the car, meaning better ahndling at the sacrifice of extended tire life.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

My stock Yokos have done 12,000 miles. The wear on both front tyres on the inside tread is considerably more than on the outside tread ( about 3mm difference between them) . Does anyone know if this is the normal difference expected?

darrenjuggins

Yes, they run on the inner edge, not the whole tyre as in "normal" family wagons.

just how its set up for optimal handling.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "eanlow"My stock Yokos have done 12,000 miles. The wear on both front tyres on the inside tread is considerably more than on the outside tread ( about 3mm difference between them) . Does anyone know if this is the normal difference expected?

Now ditch your yokos and get some nice Toyo Proxys instead!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

I was waiting for that one. Thanks Kris  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Unfortunately I cannot get Toyos as they do not make a 215/45 R16 for the 03 model. Are Bridgestone and Yoko the only two that supply both front and back sizes for this? The write ups on these two leave me uninspired. The car is only used on the road. Any feedback would be appreciated as a change is urgently needed.

Thanks

Anonymous

Change the sizes of the tyres. Ive got  195/50/15 & 225/40/16 IIRC and they are fine. The toyos are sooo much better than the stock yokos, much less snappy.

Quite a few people on here now have this setup and have no reported problems at all. My car handles like a dream.

Anonymous

I take it that these sizes fit on the stock rims?

Anonymous

yup, fit like a glove, no probs what so ever.

Anonymous

Thanks for the help Kris. Back to mytyres I go.  s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Change the sizes of the tyres. Ive got  195/50/15 & 225/40/16 IIRC and they are fine. The toyos are sooo much better than the stock yokos, much less snappy.

Quite a few people on here now have this setup and have no reported problems at all. My car handles like a dream.
Kris this must knock the speedo out a little  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: