Bristol Pre-cat removal...

Started by Willbott, March 20, 2011, 19:55

Willbott

Hi all,

I now have my MR2, and guess what? I'm thinking of getting the pre-cats taken out!

I've had a look though the "companies that remove pre-cats" thread and couldn't find anyone closer to Bristol than Bridgewater. Anyone come across a company in Bristol or the Bristol area that have done this?

Also, are there any risks in removing the pre-cats? is it possible for there to be material left hidden in the system after breaking it up to get it out, that could be sucked into the engine???

I'm still in half a mind to leave the pre-cats alone, in a "if it aint broke don't fix it" style... Oh yes, the car is a 2002 car.

Cheers for any help.  s:) :) s:)  

Will

uktotty

drive to Newbury and I will do it!

Willbott

You're a star! Thanks so much for that.  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

The car is tucked up at my mums house for a few weeks while I deal with my house move. As soon as that's out the way, I'd love to pop up there and see you and we can do the job together. Beers are on me!  s:-P :-P s:-P  

I've got some family over there too, so it will be a great little trip over there. Can't thank you enough. It will be fun seeing how it's done.   s:? :? s:?  

Cheers!

Will   s:D :D s:D

Toplesscouple

If it's possible and you guys don't mind, we might pop on down to Newbury and watch   s:) :) s:)  Maybe a little convoy to a pub or cafe   s8) 8) s8)  

Whilst it's a very generous offer from UkT, I have to ask what happens if manifold bolts snap? To that end I would suggest that Willbott presoaks the neccessary nuts and studs in PlusGas.

Willbott

Sounds good to me!

I can pre-soak the various studs I reckon. I'll read the pre-cat removal article again...

Other than bolts snapping, what are the risks in pre-cat removal? Is it possible to actually end up dislodging previously secure material that ends up making it's way into the engine???  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I'm sure you guys have done this loads of times and it's really straightforward - it's just I don't have a clue...!

I do remember from my X1/9 days having a nightmare fitting an Ansa sports exhaust system - seared studs, re-threading the block - all sorts! It was quiet an education for a 17 year old with his first car!

Looking forward to getting this thing off, and having a good poke about under the car.   s:D :D s:D  

Thanks again UKT!

Will

uktotty

Great idea to spray and spray and spray again the studds.

risks are that the studs may break!!
Risk if anything getting in the engine is pretty slim as the whole unit is removed.
Pete and Lisa, you are welcome to come down also  s:) :) s:)

Russ

Willbott

Sweet! I'll keep putting the spray on there while the car is out of use over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Russ!

Will

mrzwei

Quote from: "Willbott""if it aint broke don't fix it"  

Will

I agree, I'm just doing the same with my central heating boiler because I can spend the money more enjoyably elsewhere   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  .

However, when it does break, and it will, etc.etc.
Seriously, the cost is minimal and yes there may be some agro along the way but preparation (plusgas and spanners that fit and some heat) is the key.
Good time also to think about an alternative manifold, Che type or whatever.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

phillywilly69

Quote from: "uktotty"Great idea to spray and spray and spray again the studds.

risks are that the studs may break!!
Risk if anything getting in the engine is pretty slim as the whole unit is removed.
Pete and Lisa, you are welcome to come down also  s:) :) s:)

Russ

like russ says spray and spray again
i did mine witha 10 inch screwdriver (precats) and a hammer !!! you can see when theres nothing left then hose out the manifold with water ,wait to dry for half an hour and the jobs a goodun   s:D :D s:D

Willbott

Cheers philly and mrzwei!

Sounds good to me!

Out of interest, where can you get these CHE manifolds??? Mind you, having found out this afternoon that my job is very shaky   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   I think just smashing the cats out is all I can do! Well with Russ's very kind help.  s:D :D s:D  

Will

Anonymous

Go onto spyderchat, Che is a vendor on the forum.

Willbott

s:D :D s:D  Sweet! Cheers Nelix. Maybe I can persuade Katie to get me one for my birthday?!

Toplesscouple

Personaly before spending the money on a manifold, I'd put on a new exhaust with twin pipes.

Further to the precat bashing, you might consider getting new gaskets for either end of the manifold, Willbott. At least with a couple of extra people and cars we should be able to nip out and hopefully get some bits that might be needed on the day in the event of, shall we say, little setbacks   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Willbott

I'm with you Pete (or Lissa!). I think i'll just stick with bashing the precat to bits! New gaskets is a good call. I'll get some ahead of the bashing session!

It's great to have so much help with this. Thanks to you all.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Will

cclarke99

Make sure it's Plus Gas or penetrating oil not WD40

andywood

Sounds like you have already found a solution to your problem, but feel free to contact me if you ever need any help or support with anything. I did my pre-cats and is not too difficult a job for a competent diy-er.

Not too far from you and always happy to help....

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

K T M Rider

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Further to the precat bashing, you might consider getting new gaskets for either end of the manifold, Willbott.

engine block to manifold gasket can normally be re-used. I (and many others) have done so without problems. I think a new one is about £18, which if you're as tight as me  - is £18 you'd rather not spend   s:) :) s:)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Willbott

Quote from: "andywood"Sounds like you have already found a solution to your problem, but feel free to contact me if you ever need any help or support with anything. I did my pre-cats and is not too difficult a job for a competent diy-er.

Not too far from you and always happy to help....

Andy.

Thanks Andy, very good of you sir. Be good to meet up and talk motors sometime. If you fancy it, you could come to "Will's de-pre-cat-ing bonanza!" in Newbury - if Russ didn't mind? Could be a laugh?

Thanks again for the offer of help, and if I can be of assistance with anything (I can hold a spanner and point and shout a lot...) then give me a shout. I'd love to pop up and help with any job if I can.

Cheers!

Will   s:D :D s:D

Willbott

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"
Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Further to the precat bashing, you might consider getting new gaskets for either end of the manifold, Willbott.

engine block to manifold gasket can normally be re-used. I (and many others) have done so without problems. I think a new one is about £18, which if you're as tight as me  - is £18 you'd rather not spend   s:) :) s:)

Copy that KTM! Good intel. So I just need at gasket for the other end of the manifold do I?  s:? :? s:?  

Crumbs I've become paranoid since I decided to get the pre-cats out...  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   I keep thinking about any pothole or bump I've been over and whether that's shaken the bloomin thing to bits. Crazy seeing as I've only covered 200 miles since I got the car at the weekend, and the engine is in rude health, but a sure fire sign that for my sanity I need to get them removed!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Cheers for your tips KTM!  s:D :D s:D  

Will

K T M Rider

Quote from: "Willbott"Copy that KTM! Good intel. So I just need at gasket for the other end of the manifold do I?  s:? :? s:?  

Will

there's two of 'em  - small, round & about 3 quid each I think.

Quote from: "Willbott"Crumbs I've become paranoid since I decided to get the pre-cats out...  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   I keep thinking about any pothole or bump I've been over and whether that's shaken the bloomin thing to bits. Crazy seeing as I've only covered 200 miles since I got the car at the weekend, and the engine is in rude health, but a sure fire sign that for my sanity I need to get them removed!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Will

remember that feeling well - just couldn't enjoy the car till they were out
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Anonymous

Can I tag onto this when It happens? I am in Swindon and recent found that me precats were intact; I had been told that they were out by the previous owner.

Not made an atempt yet, but judging by the condition of the heat sheild bolts it the manifold has never been off the car.

Anonymous

Was the previous owner a member?

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"Was the previous owner a member?

Not that I am aware of, car came from the autotrader.

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "nelix"Was the previous owner a member?

If he told SP that he'd taken the cats out and he hadn't ,then he is definately a big member!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Willbott

Quote from: "scotchpie"Can I tag onto this when It happens? I am in Swindon and recent found that me precats were intact; I had been told that they were out by the previous owner.

Not made an atempt yet, but judging by the condition of the heat sheild bolts it the manifold has never been off the car.

Cool by me, but it's up to Russ - his manor.

Tags: