Turbo kit options and considerations

Started by bigwillcv36, April 3, 2011, 17:58

Mike_V

Just dropped off my car at Mattperformance to have the turbo, chargecooler, Helix clutch and all ancillaries fitted, methinks the next few weeks will pass very slowly until I get it back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

muffdan

That is a FAST kit. I spent two track days trying to catch a car with that kit on and failing in a turbo charged Elise. You'll love it!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Mike_V

Thanks Jason. I hope so  :-) :-) :-)  I think my M3 may be redundant now!!!

EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.

muffdan

Indeed. You'll be looking at around 4.5s 0..60 with that kit on, assuming you have the rubber on the rear to get the power down. I assume you're going to be getting it custom mapped?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Mike_V

Yes, it's going down to Redline for mapping but Matt couldn't get a booking until the week after next, I need more rubber down and looking at the SP12 wheels that Matt used to source.

PaullyP2010

Quote from: "Mike_V"Just dropped off my car at Mattperformance to have the turbo, chargecooler, Helix clutch and all ancillaries fitted, methinks the next few weeks will pass very slowly until I get it back!!!

Nice one Mike, bet you are well excited!!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Matt fitted my Hass kit for me, and I haven't looked back, but I can't stop upgrading that now and have a chargecooler kit ready to be fitted  s:D :D s:D  

On the wheels front - I have the Pro Race 1.2's, which I believe are identical to Matt's SP12, so could give you another option?

Cheers,
Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

Mike_V

Hi Paully! Excited isn't the word and your tip about the wheels is much appreciated  :-) :-) :-)

calaerial

Aww this topic upsets me.

I badly want a turbo on mine, but realistically living on my own im never going to be able to summon the funds for it.

I'm going to college in September hopefully and then on to a 3 year degree, hoping to get a job out of it that lands me above the national average wage for once in my life.

And ive decided im going to keep the '2 until after uni, even if i have to SORN it because i cant afford the insurance (Or lend it to my mothers husband who fancies it for a weekend car) and when i come out of the other end, its getting a turbo. High output.

And if the local car park crowd are right, and its possible to fit some - Possibly some NO2 to go with it.

This car has gotten under my skin in a big way, even despite all the problems mine has had from its hard life before i got it, and i WILL turn it into an animal  s:D :D s:D
Work in progress - 2001 MR2 Roadster - Silver

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

calaerial

I take that back. Dont think i want to turn this thing into a monster, it just nearly killed me and my passenger.

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

loadswine

Really sorry to hear that. I hope you are both okay.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

calaerial

Cheers LS. Yeah we're ok, just a bit shaken. Him probably a bit more than me, my mate's cousin, only 15.

Monsoon conditions and the back just snapped out. Full tank of fuel probably didnt help. Oversteer, opposite lock, over-correction, opposite lock again, over-correction, slam. Kerb.

In a way ive been extremely lucky, the cars behind me must have seen what was about to happen and backed off, and nothing was coming in the opposite lane. Fishtailed back and forth across all 3 lanes on a major A road coming out of the city. If anything had been coming down the hill there would have been nothing i could have done.

No body damage but the rear drivers side wheel has taken a hell of a pounding. We're not sure as to the extent of the damage yet, gonna get it dismantled tomorrow and have a look.

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

loadswine

Scary stuff. When the wheels take a bash like that, suspension and control arms can be bent , sometimes quite subtly. Get whoever checks the car out to measure and double check those bits and also the diagonal measurements on the chassis rails. Depends on the force of impact of course, but glad the 2 kept you in one piece.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

ChrisGB

Quote from: "calaerial"Have to say that i have today felt the benefit of failing to fix fixing tyre mis-matches.

My car had a fairly significant pull to the left since i got it, feared it might be chassis bend since it was a cat D write off in 2003 (Non-recorded for some reason, but admitted by the seller). It was running 185/55/15s all round, with 3 different tread patterns (NSF - Goodyear Eagle NCT, OSF - Pirelli P6000, Both rears - Hankook K105 Ventus Prime)

Today the fronts reached the legal limit, or more accurately they reached the legal limit a few weeks ago, i reached the limit of my nerve and more importantly, pay day.

Put some Lassa Impetus on both fronts, and even with a different pattern front to back, and an incorrect stagger the car handles 100% better now, its cured that nasty understeer and completely fixed the pull to the left. Drives straight and true now.

Quote from: "calaerial"I take that back. Dont think i want to turn this thing into a monster, it just nearly killed me and my passenger.

Just modified your earlier statement from an other thread for you  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

markiii

cue the naysayers claiming mismatached tyres and stagger aren't a problem

I'm sorry you nearly stacked it, but you knowingly ran the car with a dangerous tyre setup and got bit.

hardly the cars fault
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

calaerial

Yes well forgive me for having not had the cash to do all the work it needed at once. Sadly i havent had the smoothest run

Yes, i got bitten. And yes the handling was compromised. But the previous owner has very clearly driven it for some time on the same setup, and not had this happen.

Did the compromised handling help? Definately not.

Did it cause the accident? I really doubt it. Dozens of people have fallen off there, and the tyres had handled much worse speeds and cornering forces earlier in the day in similar conditions.

Could have been a diesel spill on that section of road, could have been anything really. And noone is ever going to know if 20mm of extra rubber would have made the difference.

Forgive me also if i'm a little less than cheerfully ribbed by the sniping, but i'm currently weighing up the fact that the rather miniscule real world damage done is actually going to cost a kings ransom to put right because the bits that are FUBAR are apparently dealer parts. So its going to be a gamble of at least a monkey just to find out IF it will line up straight again. And i'm looking very seriously at the prospect of having to scrap her. Dancing on peoples misfortune isnt nice. Even if they were stupid.

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

markiii

no-ones dancing

we are just clarifying that it isn't teh cars fault and making the point for other owners benefit that yet another incident has occured whilst running unsuitable tyres

and I truly think thats a lesson whilst painful for you that is worth being being able to read. (Mods please consider that before running away with the edit button)

with regards to fixing it

worst case your likely to need

new wheel
new subframe
3 suspension arms on that side

all can be got from a breaker but you take your chances with teh condition

first thing to do is get that aligment check and see if it can be brought into spec as is
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

if the chassis is the same messurement diagnal both ways it can be repaired. now im not going to say tyre stagger but i would try to sort this out as well. also did you say earier it was a cat d. maybe the chassis was damaged before and that caused the spin. either way i hope you can get it fixed.

calaerial

Sorry Mark, you're right it is useful information for others. I'm not in the best frame of mind right now i guess.

It definately wont be able to be brought into line as is, we've had it dismantled today, wheel off, 3 suspension arms off.

The rear arm is bent at about a 60 degree angle, really bad. the others its more difficult to tell, there are some slight bends, mainly where the brackets are but its difficult to know if these are designed that way without seeing a new one for comparison.

There doesnt APPEAR to be any subframe damage, which is a bonus, no folds or kinks visible.

Did a round of all the major auto suppliers in the North today, all told me the same story "Not getting anything for that part, must be dealer", went to Toyota and they want 130 ish for 2 of them, and 170 for the 3rd. So about £400 for the bars. Plus a hub, plus potentially a new caliper since i sheared a bolt trying to get that off, plus a wheel.

Did a round of the breakers yards up here, only one yard had any MK3s in, of which only one still had its suspension arms, and they were completely shagged.

So at this point we're probably looking at about 5-700 quid on a punt that there hasnt been any subtle subframe shift or other hidden gem waiting for us once we replace all those parts. Its a lot of cash to take a gamble on, especially when she isnt exactly a prime example of the breed. I can definately see myself writing her off to be honest, which is really sad because i cant actually imagine myself in anything else at the moment.

**EDIT** - RB yeah the tyre stagger definately wont have helped, whether it did or didnt cause the accident (Its perfectly possible either way) it at the very least will have made it harder to bring into line once it went. It was always my intention to get the stagger fixed, but the rear tread levels were decent, and the fronts were bald at the beginning of the month, and with the tax due to picked my battles and changed the fronts only. In retrospect it was a severe false economy, but by the same token hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

markiii

ouch

if the impact was severe enough to bend by 60 degrees i would consider the subframe has moved (even if you can't see it) and treat the other arms on that side as suspect.

I've purchased a subframe with arms from a breaker in the past for £90 the challenge is ensuring that whatever killed the car wasn't a side impact

my biggest concern right now having recently helped a friend with a roadster written off on track from a side impact is that anything bad enough to bend an arm by that much may have moved the front trailing arm mount where it is part of the chassis, rather than the subframe.

if thats moved, then yes your probably looking at a write off, I'm sorry to say

muffdan

Just to play devil's advocate a little   s:D :D s:D  , Les's incident last week shows that this can happen with or without the correct tyre stagger to people very familiar or completely unfamiliar with the car. These cars are much less stable in the wet than others, for whatever reason. If the back end is going to lift in the wet, it's going to lift in the wet, regardless of what rubber is on the front. Les would have had his accident the way he had it even if he was running an extra 20mm on the front.

IMHO, from plenty of first hand experience, I put the majority of incidents like this (a loose rear in the wet when driving within the expected limits of the car) down to wheel alignment issues.

But I still run with a stagger with same rubber all round and would always recommend people continue to do the same for when driving the car hard (wet or dry), unless they are familiar with the handling characteristics of the car and are trying to change it to something else deliberately.
Jason

calaerial

We spent that much time wrestling the bolts out from 10 years of rustweld i dont think we really looked at that particular mount in great detail, i'll check again tomorrow (The car isnt at my house) and see if it looks to have shifted. The impact came in such a way that the wheel was forced partially round (round in the way a steered wheel would turn right) at the back, and that is obviously why the rear bar has been the worst bent. Should have taken some pictures i guess. The front and middle looked straightish.

The front arm mount might have been stretched a touch i guess, but it shouldnt have come under any impact or compression. I hope

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

Anonymous

i agree with mark ouch that is a big hit. check the chassis before anything mate make sure its all square. as mark said about the other car. now i saw that and looking at it everything was fine to look at that is but the car was a wright off.

markiii

Quote from: "calaerial"We spent that much time wrestling the bolts out from 10 years of rustweld i dont think we really looked at that particular mount in great detail, i'll check again tomorrow (The car isnt at my house) and see if it looks to have shifted. The impact came in such a way that the wheel was forced partially round (round in the way a steered wheel would turn right) at the back, and that is obviously why the rear bar has been the worst bent. Should have taken some pictures i guess. The front and middle looked straightish.

The front arm mount might have been stretched a touch i guess, but it shouldnt have come under any impact or compression. I hope

you need to measure

visually we couldnt see it had moved

calaerial

As a novice, where am i measuring it to? Presumably something that is able to be referenced on the other side of the car, and they should match?

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

calaerial

A couple of pics that i did grab this morning before we started dismantling:

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial