Turbo kit options and considerations

Started by bigwillcv36, April 3, 2011, 17:58

ChrisGB

First, apologies if my earlier post was seen as having a dig, honest, it was meant as a little light hearted ribbing. To the bent bits; the front suspension mount point (trailing arm mount) is tied to the body shell by a small brace at its lower end (it has the handbrake cable bolted on to it) and this should help it resist bending. Have a look and compare it to the other side to see if there are any signs of stretching or bending on mount or surrounding body shell. Hopefully it is OK and just the arms. The trailing arm, lower arm and track arm should all be straight with the U joints on the ends at 90 deg to the bars. Also check the strut leg and the rear hub for damage / cracking. Wheel bearing is going to have taken a hit, possibly drive shaft too, possibly the rose joint in the hub (lower arm joint) however, I have seen one of these on here bent worse than that repaired with just a toe arm.

You can also buy a set of after market adjustable control arms from Che (deluboz parts on Ebay).

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is fixable. Well worth keeping an eye on the for sale section here as cars come up for breaking sometimes. Try part finder on the internet too, you may be able to pick up a corner set relatively cheap.

Quote from: "muffdan"Just to play devil's advocate a little   s:D :D s:D  , Les's incident last week shows that this can happen with or without the correct tyre stagger to people very familiar or completely unfamiliar with the car. These cars are much less stable in the wet than others, for whatever reason. If the back end is going to lift in the wet, it's going to lift in the wet, regardless of what rubber is on the front. Les would have had his accident the way he had it even if he was running an extra 20mm on the front.

I did note Les had a mixed front / rear set of tyres, which may or may not have been a contributing factor. To be fair, any car can just step out of control unexpectedly, but a mid engined car is not going to have the dart like self stabilising properties of a front engined one. Even on a matched set in the right sizes it can happen (thinking of Stu in the MR2 and Mark in the VXR) both of those from unexpected standing water I believe. Geometry is a big factor in on limit grip too, going turbo (note the steer back to being on topic  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) I had to put some rear toe in on the car to quell the rear end mid corner liveliness under power.

Hope it is sortable.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

philster_d

Dont beat yourself up too much, the wet can be deadly. Lots of people have had worrying moments even at stupidly low speeds, it happens.

Phil

stargazer30

Quote from: "philster_d"Dont beat yourself up too much, the wet can be deadly. Lots of people have had worrying moments even at stupidly low speeds, it happens.

Phil

+1.  My first MR2 had same make and model tyres, good tread and recent alignment.  But add idiot driver, turbo and rain and I still managed to fishtail mine, balls up the recovery then cross a bus lane, then a pedestrian path and end up sideways on a handy grass verge whilst magically missing everything including two trees and thankfully not damaging the car at all.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Ilogik

Are the Sp wheels not just Team Dynamic wheels?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

yep team dynamic wheels.

Mike_V

Well. Picked up my car from Matt on Friday but didn't get much opportunity to do much on the way home on the M6 as the traffic was so busy, then went to the N.E on Saturday in my other car as I had to take some things over with me. Arrived home today and took the "2" out to see what she was really like, I tried it on sections of "A" road and dual carriageway on half boost and I must say it's very, very quick and had to ease off at 4000 revs in 3rd gear   s:scared: :scared: s:scared: . I can only describe the transformation as awesome with a wonderful cacophany of noises behind you and I will build things up to full boost gradually as I get to know the car, which isn't the same one that I took down to Matt's. The workmanship is superb   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  and I look forward to searching the cars capabilities, Matt said "you will love it" and I do.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

PaullyP2010

Quote from: "Mike_V"Well. Picked up my car from Matt on Friday but didn't get much opportunity to do much on the way home on the M6 as the traffic was so busy, then went to the N.E on Saturday in my other car as I had to take some things over with me. Arrived home today and took the "2" out to see what she was really like, I tried it on sections of "A" road and dual carriageway on half boost and I must say it's very, very quick and had to ease off at 4000 revs in 3rd gear   s:scared: :scared: s:scared: . I can only describe the transformation as awesome with a wonderful cacophany of noises behind you and I will build things up to full boost gradually as I get to know the car, which isn't the same one that I took down to Matt's. The workmanship is superb   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  and I look forward to searching the cars capabilities, Matt said "you will love it" and I do.

Nice one Mike  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Top news, I'm sure you will have lots, and lots, more fun!
Best you update your signature now  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

AmeR

Quote from: "Mike_V"Well. Picked up my car from Matt on Friday but didn't get much opportunity to do much on the way home on the M6 as the traffic was so busy, then went to the N.E on Saturday in my other car as I had to take some things over with me. Arrived home today and took the "2" out to see what she was really like, I tried it on sections of "A" road and dual carriageway on half boost and I must say it's very, very quick and had to ease off at 4000 revs in 3rd gear   s:scared: :scared: s:scared: . I can only describe the transformation as awesome with a wonderful cacophany of noises behind you and I will build things up to full boost gradually as I get to know the car, which isn't the same one that I took down to Matt's. The workmanship is superb   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  and I look forward to searching the cars capabilities, Matt said "you will love it" and I do.

Dibs on first test drive when you finally let go of the keys!!  s:D :D s:D

Mike_V

Hi Paul. The Dibs yours and I'll pop down to Blackpool soon.  :-) :-) :-)
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.

AmeR

Quote from: "Mike_V"Hi Paul. The Dibs yours and I'll pop down to Blackpool soon.  :-) :-) :-)

Aww get in!! But shhh, nobody tell the Mrs...

philster_d

hahaha

andywood

NIce one, is a great kit. What was it mapped at in terms of power/torque? Intrigued to know what you get with the bigger turbo and chargecooler etc....

Above all else, respect it and enjoy it.

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

calaerial

So all in all, how much has it cost if you dont mind me asking?
Work in progress - 2001 MR2 Roadster - Silver

Current faults:

General dings
Rotten brake discs
Sticky aerial

Mike_V

Hi. For the kit that I have you won't get much change out of 6 grand, I know that I could have bought another car for this but it's something that i've always wanted to do, I'm happy have no regrets.

andywood

Quote from: "andywood"What was it mapped at in terms of power/torque? Intrigued to know what you get with the bigger turbo and chargecooler etc....

????    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy

muffdan

Over 270bhp when it was fitted to Matt's car I believe.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

philster_d

I wonder what Gaspar is up to these days.

Phil

Mike_V

Quoteandywood wrote:What was it mapped at in terms of power/torque? Intrigued to know what you get with the bigger turbo and chargecooler etc....

Hi Andy. It was remapped at Redine but Matt forgot the dynograph so I don't know the full story, I've asked him to get it for me but still waiting.

Cheers.

Mike

AmeR

What a car that is!!

Mike you are one lucky guy!!!!

Mike_V

Thanks Paul!! I hope you enjoyed your drive in it, it was great to meet you and many thanks for the much needed brew...  :-) :-) :-)

andywood

Will look forward to hearing what it is kicking out, just can't imagine having a stack load more power/torque than what is in mine, must be mental!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
Are the engine internals and gearbox still stock?

Will be worth every penny that you spent on it, the smile is always there everytime i drive mine.

Andy.

MattPerformance

260bhp/ 240ftlb more or less.  Just need to get hold of the dyno sheet to confirm exact figures.  Stock engine and gearbox are good for 240ftlb although I'd be kidding myself (and Mike) if I said that the life of both is not likely to be shortened by running at these kind of outputs, especially if used on track.

markiii

Same as my hass dynoed

Very entertaining
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Mike_V

Cheers Matt. I really must compliment you on your workmanship, in my book you are the only option for turbo fitting and tuning.

Mike  :-) :-) :-)

silversprint

MWR 2zz base turbokit. 700CC deutchwerk injector, PFC, J$S safeguard, Methanol/water injection.

310whp@10psi   s:D :D s:D   on a stock 2zz engine, 295whp@9psi, 280whp@8psi.

Plan in to install Mahle pistons and run 17psi in 2012.
MR2 2zz 300hp, Ohlins, big sticky tires, and a big wing
Lotus Elise
70 911E
RX7 Fd3S

Tags: