MOT Failing on Emissions

Started by WillsSayers, April 5, 2011, 20:50

aaronjb

Quote from: "rbuckingham"
Quote from: "WillsSayers"Well this doesn't bode well then, as he also said that being a post-2001 car, they can't chop and weld a new cat in. Arghhhh!

sounds like he dont want the job. cant see why you cant fit a cat to a car after 2001

Actually.. technically.. you can't. Any exhaust system containing emissions related equipment for a post 2001 car has to be 'Type approved' - a cut 'n shut exhaust won't be. That's why it's hard(er) to buy CATs on their own now (and usually there's small print about 'off road use only' in there).

Stupid law.. fortunately, plenty of places still seem to be happy to bend the rules a little.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "WillsSayers"Well this doesn't bode well then, as he also said that being a post-2001 car, they can't chop and weld a new cat in. Arghhhh!

sounds like he dont want the job. cant see why you cant fit a cat to a car after 2001

Actually.. technically.. you can't. Any exhaust system containing emissions related equipment for a post 2001 car has to be 'Type approved' - a cut 'n shut exhaust won't be. That's why it's hard(er) to buy CATs on their own now (and usually there's small print about 'off road use only' in there).

Stupid law.. fortunately, plenty of places still seem to be happy to bend the rules a little.

i did not know that. ill go get my coat.   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

aaronjb

To be fair it's the first time I've heard of a place actually refusing to do the work under the new rules.. so you're probably right anyway and he just doesn't want the work/hassle  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

K T M Rider

Quote from: "aaronjb"

Which is why (going off topic slightly) if buying a new stock Cat for your car you will likely pay more if you say your car is a  March 2001+ vehicle than if you say it isn't - post Feb 2001 Cats being £50 more on the 'bay:

m http://shop.ebay.co.uk/cats_2_u/m.html? ... p=15&_sc=1 m

Unless, MOT testers start looking for what is stamped on your cat, I can't see what difference it is going to make buying a non TA cat for your post Feb '01 roadster.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Mike_V

Wills. Do you or anybody else know the outside diameter of the Janspeed downpipe?
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

WillsSayers

Mike,

I certainly don't myself, hopefully someone else could be of more use! Nick...........?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

WillsSayers

Just been down noseying about the car. It would seem that what the garage thought was the Sports Cat is actually just the big champers in which the O2 sensors plug in to post-manifold. The rest of the configuration looks the same as WabbitKilla's  s:( :( s:(

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

Goeman

Will. You were enquiring after OEM exhaust but if that's you mid section (cat or not) the OEM exhaust won't fit on to it.
Russell

WillsSayers

I'd just like to say that I've passed my MOT now! Mike_V very kindly lent me his old Cat and backbox for me to pass with, so very big shout out to this man's wonderful kindness. The chap even drove up to Durham to give the stuff to my brother, as I was unfortunately busy!

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Credit to the forum.

aaronjb

If it's any consolation.. guess what mine just failed on?  s:) :) s:)

WillsSayers

Can it fail for "too much boost"........? ;D

Ilogik

haha weird how everyones cars seem to be failing on emissions, mine did earlier this year but i was running without a cat   s:lol: :lol: s:lol: , now have a nice 100 cel sports cat. Mr2's are the only car that i have had that have always passed without needing work. Have owned various ones for 6 years now.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

aaronjb

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Can it fail for "too much boost"........? ;D

Actually the full sheet was:

Numberplate bulb inoperative
Front anti-roll bar mounting loose (I think I'd have noticed this if it really was...)
Front numberplate letters too small
Fast idle emissions outside of limits (  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Fortunately it doesn't run out until the 26th so I have a little time to get it sorted out..

WillsSayers

To be fair, 3 of those issues are probably going to cost you £10 combined to fix  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

What's causing the emissions though, just a cat problem (ie, none)?

aaronjb

Yeah there's no CAT, and I could never quite get the fast idle area of the map right.. amazingly enough, idle emissions passed (0.48% CO) but fast idle failed (5.99% CO, 298ppm HC and 0.889 lambda). I'm not sure tuning alone could bring everything into line for the fast idle, so it'll need a CAT to pass - at this point it's looking like I'll be stripping the turbo kit off and MOTing it without it, though.

frogger

Quote from: "aaronjb"Fortunately it doesn't run out until the 26th so I have a little time to get it sorted out..

I always thought an MOT fail automatically replaced any existing MOT cert on the VOSA system? Is this not the case?

aaronjb

I believe you can still drive the car as long as the previous MOT hasn't yet expired - certainly the online VOSA status check[1] seems to say that; if I check the MOT Status of my car it has a current, valid pass recorded. If I check the MOT history of my car it has a current fail recorded with a previous pass 11 months ago that's still valid.

So according to VOSA, I have a current valid MOT (for 12 days, anyway  s:? :? s:?  )

[1]  m http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp m

Mike_V

Frogger is quite correct with that, a fail supersedes any previous certificate.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

aaronjb

Quote from: "Mike_V"Frogger is quite correct with that, a fail supersedes any previous certificate.

So why does the online status check report a current valid MOT (with a note that there are subsequent either aborted or failed tests), and not a big fat fail?

[edit]

[edit edit] Also checking around found a thread on PistonHeads with this response from VOSA:

QuoteDear K50 DEL,

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 1st November, 2010 concerning the
attached.

Unfortunately, what the tester has told you is completely incorrect.

An MOT is valid until midnight on the date of expiry even if the vehicle
fails a new test before the expiry date of the existing one.
This is one of the reasons that you are allowed to take the car for test
up to one month before the expiry- so that if any repairs are needed the
car can still be driven provided the car is roadworthy ( i.e you could
not drive with bald tyres etc as this would be illegal).

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have
any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards
Ian Byrne
VOSA Contact Centre
Operations Directorate
Tel: 0300 123 9000

m http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... e%3F&mid=0 m

frogger

Hmm, on the evidence above it does look like I was fed the exact same incorrect info as 'K50 DEL' by an MOT tester!

However, it's an interesting conundrum regarding the tyre example...
"so that if any repairs are needed the car can still be driven provided the car is roadworthy ( i.e you could not drive with bald tyres etc as this would be illegal)"

... I would have thought anything that caused an MOT fail would have been seen as not 'roadworthy' in the eyes of VOSA! Not just the extreme safety issues.

... The more I think about it, it does seem a bit odd that roadworthyness comment!   s:? :? s:?  I'd say driving with poor functioning brakes, dodgy seatbelts, a knackered shock, trailing arm bush etc etc could all potentially be just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, compared to setting out with a tyre with 1mm tread.

Who decides where to draw the line and who decides which faults you are allowed to leave the station with scott free   s:? :? s:?  Confused

Dont get me wrong, I'm not questioning that what your saying above is actually the case... but some of the logic does seem a bit bonkers, essentially admitting that their MOT tests are not a test of roadworthyness   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Not complaining, extra few days grace eh!

mrzwei

Definately a couple of posts there to print off and keep.

It always was the case, prior to computerisation, that if the car failed you could either fix it or take a chance and take it to another tester and try again until the original certificate expired. If you have been told that the car is unroadworthy then it is your decision whether or not you drive it. If you are pulled over, you will be done for driving an unroadworthy car not for not having a current MOT certificate.

The wording on the back of the pass certificate is pretty clear in that 'it was ok on the day of the test but that might not continue to be the case for the rest of the year'. It doesn't expire until the expiry date shown.

As an example, if your tax is up for renewal and you do it at the post office they will simply check that you have a current MOT certificate, they won't access any data base (just done it).

Certainly cleared a point up for me.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

aaronjb

Since I feel like someone is about to call the police and report me for driving a dangerous vehicle, I feel compelled to point out that a) I have another car and b) the MR2 is sitting on my driveway right now and probably won't move until it's booked in for it's next MOT (and yes, it's definitely legal to drive a car to a pre-booked MOT regardless of it's MOT status)

loadswine

Sad that you have to add that sort of a post for any finger waggers Aaron. Anybody who knows you would realise that you are a completely sensible person and wouldn't flount the law anyway.  s:) :) s:)   You've also categorically got your bases covered legally as you've illustrated.
I'd just like to say good luck with sorting out a pass on the next test mate!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

aaronjb

First thing I have to do is crawl under there and make sure that the front ARB is, in fact, still attached to the chassis (actually I can get to that through the bonnet I think).. replace that bulb, put a new front plate on.. and figure out what to do about the fact that I'm killing the environment.

mrzwei

Quote from: "loadswine"Sad that you have to add that sort of a post for any finger waggers Aaron

I wasn't 'finger wagging', I was actually grateful that a grey area for me had been clarified using some useable evidence as opposed to just 'hearsay'.

Edit: I mean the VOSA letter quoted by aaron just in case that isn't clear.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: